Northern provinces told to brace for possible drought this summer

webfact

Northern provinces told to brace for possible drought this summer

nt.jpg

PITSANULOK, 20 February 2018 (NNT) - Local authorities in the North of Thailand have been instructed to ensure that there is enough water for household consumption this summer. 

Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister, Kritsada Boonrach, traveled to Phitsanulok to open a seminar on the mobilization of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives’ policy in 17 northern provinces. 

Local public agriculture agencies will be tasked with educating local farmers about marketing and large-scale farming practices. This is to increase their incomes and lower production costs. 

Kritsada also told related agencies to take steps which are necessary to ensure sufficient water supplies for household consumption this summer. 

Currently, the amount of water in all reservoirs combined is 40% greater than that of the same period last year. Despite the higher volume of water, farmers have been urged to grow drought-tolerant crops.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-02-20

36 minutes ago, robblok said:

Last year there was a shortage.. maybe the 40% extra is enough maybe it is not. It always makes sense to conserve water by having crops that can do with less water. 

Also if they now start with crops that can cope with drought better then in future if there is less water they have an advantage.. maybe it takes time to switch so its better to switch early.

Not saying it makes perfect sense but the advice is not totally stupid either.

I hear you, but it does seem odd that of all the provinces to be hit with this news it's Pitsanulok which year in year out seems to be the worst hit when it comes to flooding. One extreme to another, it would seem.

1 minute ago, CelticBhoy said:

I hear you, but it does seem odd that of all the provinces to be hit with this news it's Pitsanulok which year in year out seems to be the worst hit when it comes to flooding. One extreme to another, it would seem.

Yes this seems to be a country of extremes. I really hope they will set up more dams to make it better for the people. Problem is it seems that the pattern is changing so where you put a dam / lake now... it might be useless later. 

Wish I knew of solutions. 

41 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes this seems to be a country of extremes. I really hope they will set up more dams to make it better for the people. Problem is it seems that the pattern is changing so where you put a dam / lake now... it might be useless later. 

Wish I knew of solutions. 

But the government has all the solutions it seems. This headline appeared two months ago on TVN. But you are probably right. Knowing the efficiency of the civil service they are likely to put the dams in all the wrong places for the wrong reasons, weather patterns being one of them. But there could be other reasons like doing a favour for a wealthy property owning mate or a fatter envelope for a construction contract at a particular location. You can be sure of one thing, the bt6.5 bn will be reduced to bt3.5 bn before anything even starts. 

PM urged to consider Bt6.5 bn flood management projects in North

Just now, Cadbury said:

But the government has all the solutions it seems. This headline appeared two months ago on TVN. But you are probably right. Knowing the efficiency of the civil service they are likely to put the dams in all the wrong places for the wrong reasons, weather patterns being one of them. But there could be other reasons like doing a favour for a wealthy property owning mate or a fatter envelope for a construction contract at a particular location. You can be sure of one thing, the bt6.5 bn will be reduced to bt3.5 bn before anything even starts. 

PM urged to consider Bt6.5 bn flood management projects in North

Yes I read about the flood management project and i can only applaud stuff like that far more useful than military toys. However it has been said (cant prove it) that weather patters have changed a bit since the last dams were build so they are less useful as before. So I just suspect that this will happen again not sure if that means they should not build them because a less effective is still better as none at all. 

• Like 1

Here in the far north it was a 'good' wet season with steady rain, not just big storms and for lots of days. But it has, of course, all run away due to deforestation and poor farming technique. With a govt that only cares about what makes money, serious work on water retention and good farming practice is lacking. The soil is being eroded as a result and many dams are filling with that and not water. No education and a refusal to get expert help and you get today's problems. There are solutions but they remain undiscovered when profit is king.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

I live near P'lok for past 6 years. Never been flooded or run out of water. But to be on the safe side, I shall put more wine-making on !

6 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

"Currently, the amount of water in all reservoirs combined is 40% greater than that of the same period last year. Despite the higher volume of water, farmers have been urged to grow drought-tolerant crops."

That makes sense to who, I wonder?  :shock1:

Stupid,,,,,Why tell them that there is 40% more than last year ,,,,Now they Will try to grow more rice,,,,  

3 hours ago, shaurene said:

Have noticed over the last 3-4 yrs living in Khon Kaen it has been much hotter and very little rains. 

I agree for 2014 to 2016.

But 2017 hot and little rain?

In our region we hardly had a handful of days over 40 C and plenty of rain (too much).

I think the article and measures described have no specific foundation.

Just the usual seasonal aimless action.

No one incl. this official knows what the year will be like.

And the oxen are also worthless :smile:

The only indicator that usually gives a good general prediction is the water temperatures in the pacific (El Nino vs. La ninja).

And the latest I read is a strong "La Nina" which would mean another wet year.

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 hours ago, IztwanGurob said:

What is the definition of ”north”? I visited Chiang Mai in July and it was raining every day.

I think it's your definition of "summer" which is awry, the hot-&-dry season is March/April/start-May, and the relevant rice-crop is already-planted or going-in right now.

July is definitely into the monsoon-season, hot-&-wet, with September/October being the wettest months.

Here in Udon thani we had a good wet season last year, and ponds were full early on, but the dry season this year has been DRY. Only 2 days rain since October. About 25% of average. Ponds are as low as last year now. So a drought is quite possible.