Suthep plans new party to back Prayut as premier after election

webfact

3 hours ago, Lingba said:

This guy is so dirty he makes Thaksin smell like a rose...you can even see the lies all over his face

ST being more dirty than TS...? Your opinion. Mine being they are both utterly dirty scumbags, each in its own way. And when I would be forced(!) to carry the sins of one of both, I'd definitely choose ST, TS's would make it impossible to me ever to find any rest or sleep. That's my opinion.

4 hours ago, Becker said:

I'm not so sure they "drink their words as if it was gospel" but what choices do they have in the few instances when they're graciously allowed to vote. Any honest, untainted candidate would receive no support from  the slimy kingmakers on both/all sides of the political spectrum so unless there is a grassrot movement for change that's simply too big to be resisted by the "invisible hands" it will take a long time for things to change.

And, of course, if the old elite keeps making those coups nothing will.

I wanted to give you a 'like', till I read your last sentence. That fixation on 'the old elite'(*) some suffer of is pathetic, as it is as obvious as the nose in the middle of the face it is 'the new elite' that of the (Thai-)chinese which is running the game all over Thailand. Leave the old nobility to its land, real estate and insurances, wherin it does still have power. But don't deny, hide, deflect, even unvoluntarily, the huge responsibility carried by that category of 'raptors', please!

(*) It's like hearing the propaganda from 'former' communist leaders Drs Weng and Thida, having in more recent History imposed the red colour for the UDD shirts, as a conditio si nequa non to Thaksin to agree joining his (then) new, cough, cough, 'democratic', movement...

This is all so farcical and insulting to the public. I remember that a week ago Prawit was granted one more week to 'clarify' matters - bringing the deadline to 15 February. Today is 21 February, and the Pig now  gets another two weeks - and more time beyond that if needs be.

What can one say? And some people still think these are 'the good people'. Sometimes one needs the patience of a saint to live in this land ...!

It makes sense for Prayut backers to want to splinter the Democrats. The only possible roadblock to his appointment as an outsider PM is a (highly-unlikely) power-sharing agreement between the Democrats and PTP.

PTP is unlikely on its own to get enough seats to choose one of their own as PM, and a splintered Democrat party is even less likely to do so, which means that a coalition is the only way to prevent PM Prayut from re-occurring. So, the fewer seats the Ds win, the more likely it is that a coalition would fail to have enough seats to choose their own PM, and the Thai people will get to enjoy more years of song-writing, homilies, and watch-ignoring from the continuing head of government.

I'd not be surprised to see further splinter groups formed.

• Like 1

Suthep is like a swollen can of Heinz beans, its expiry date long gone, and the content of most probably highly toxic.

Addicted to politics, because of the power, and money, it provided him (...and his family!) over so many years.

Not even realising that, after having, indeed, been the one (by the lack of an alternative person of stature and/or eliminating possible competition?) holding the DP together as a main political party for quite long, before he, himself, with his nepotism, paternalism, corruption, ... (you name it, he did it all, without blinking) from an asset has become a liability for the party.

IMHO, it would be good for the future of the DP ideology to come up with new(er), honest(!) faces. But it will take the party 10 to 20 years to create a solid new base of followers (providing they succeed in resisting the pressure of ST family members and pawns to grab 'the lagacy'...).

As for ST's idea (is it, really, as I haven't heard him say so, ...and even then) to participate in a party with generals-no-more-now-politicians to maintain (further organise?) the present incury and'cleptocracy' by a gerontocratic clan of green/brown/yellow sad clowns, well, I'm in favour of it, as an opportunity to clean the slate in one go!

As when Prayuth, Prawit and their aeropage go down the drain together with Suthep's Darvishes, Prayuth & Co. won't have one toe left to stand on to show any legitimacy in their throw at the PM seat, and, the old guard of DP profiteers will be wiped out at the same time.

'Win-win' for the people, and Thailand!

Would I be overly optimistic? ...As nothing is what it seems in the LoS.

Edited by bangrak
  • Like 1

As long as the PM of Thailand must be a (confirmed) elected MP, chosen by the majority of the other (confirmed) elected MPs, assembled in Parliament for that goal, the ascension of Mr Prayuth to the alternative throne of dictator can still be stopped. Why don't all (erm, plus-minus...) 'democratic' forces focus, together, on that, that this long existing principial rule doesn't get changed...? 

3 hours ago, bangrak said:

I wanted to give you a 'like', till I read your last sentence. That fixation on 'the old elite'(*) some suffer of is pathetic, as it is as obvious as the nose in the middle of the face it is 'the new elite' that of the (Thai-)chinese which is running the game all over Thailand. Leave the old nobility to its land, real estate and insurances, wherin it does still have power. But don't deny, hide, deflect, even unvoluntarily, the huge responsibility carried by that category of 'raptors', please!

(*) It's like hearing the propaganda from 'former' communist leaders Drs Weng and Thida, having in more recent History imposed the red colour for the UDD shirts, as a conditio si nequa non to Thaksin to agree joining his (then) new, cough, cough, 'democratic', movement...

And I wanted to understand your ramblings but am unable to.

• Like 1

really need new blood, modern ways of thinking influenced by experience abroad.

Do not need the same power hungry, grinning regional 'influential figures' delivering their districts to a government with no ideologies and pockets that can never be full enough sharing out Thailand for another decade or two.

Hard to see this happening peacefully.

On 30/01/2018 at 6:48 PM, saakura said:

How old is Graham? If he is over 65, health insurance at a reasonable amount may not be an option. I have been on  BUPA for over 20yrs but they wont insure me in another 10 years when i turn 65.

12 hours ago, robblok said:

It was not about following Suthep it was the outrage about the Thaksin amnesty and the rice scam that brought the people on the streets, later it was Suthep who just jumped in helping a bit to bring the government down.

Nobody could have expected the junta to stay this long, as previous recent coups they always left quite fast.

Plenty of us expected them to stay as long as this, and even longer, but were shouted down in 2014!

10 hours ago, Becker said:

And I wanted to understand your ramblings but am unable to.

I think there was an unintended grammatical misrepresentation with the word "old" that then gave entree to contrasting and confusing discussion with "new."

If instead "establishment" (or other words of similar meaning) was used such as in "establishment elite," there would be nothing to contrast and the confusion with the "new" discussion is moot. "Establishment" does not denote a time-specific situation and in fact is perpetuated by renewal - "old" is "new." An "establishment elite" is in effect timeless, as it seems in Thailand, until it ceases to exist, ie., with regard to its control over Thai people's sovereignty.

While Thaksin brought populism into Thai politics, he was a product of the establishment elite with ready access to power and many of his policies reflected authoritarian control despite his democratic election. While Prayut publicly opposed populism as PM, I believe he recognized that it can (as Thaksin understood) be used to manipulate the Thai people to gain their loyalty (as did Thaksin). But so as not to credit Thaksin for such a political "coup," Prayut re-branded "populism" to essentially craft himself as a Thaksin political clone.

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I think there was an unintended grammatical misrepresentation with the word "old" that then gave entree to contrasting and confusing discussion with "new."

If instead "establishment" (or other words of similar meaning) was used such as in "establishment elite," there would be nothing to contrast and the confusion with the "new" discussion is moot. "Establishment" does not denote a time-specific situation and in fact is perpetuated by renewal - "old" is "new." An "establishment elite" is in effect timeless, as it seems in Thailand, until it ceases to exist, ie., with regard to its control over Thai people's sovereignty.

While Thaksin brought populism into Thai politics, he was a product of the establishment elite with ready access to power and many of his policies reflected authoritarian control despite his democratic election. While Prayut publicly opposed populism as PM, I believe he recognized that it can (as Thaksin understood) be used to manipulate the Thai people to gain their loyalty (as did Thaksin). But so as not to credit Thaksin for such a political "coup," Prayut re-branded "populism" to essentially craft himself as a Thaksin political clone.

Yes. Very true.

As a bear of very little brain I had to lie down in a darkened room for a few minutes after I read it mind you!

?