Finishing work, transferring to ext of stay marriage and then moving to new city

If I finish my contract at work and satisfy all requirements for ext of stay based on marriage and then proceed to get this new stamp in my passport at the local immigration office... is it then ok to move to a new province 2 to 3 weeks later and then take the TM28 and TM30 to the new office in a new province. The old immigration office will obviously have the file on me with all the docs I gave them. Does it matter?

Its just a timing issue but I wanted to know if there will be issues in the new immigration office if they see that I only recently obtained the ext of stay based on marriage at the other province with the old address etc.

thanks

I am sticking my neck out a bit on this one, as your situation is not exactly analogous to mine, though it is close.

In 2010, I wanted to change from a Non "B" work visa to an "extension of stay for retirement" to use the correct terminology (!).

I asked Bangkok if I could move first, and then make the change in Chonburi (Jomtien). Bangkok said "yes". So, I moved. When I walked into the Jomtien office, they said "no, you will have to make the change in Bangkok."

So, based on my experience, I think that you have got it right. If the geography is not too daunting, perhaps check with both Immigration offices before proceeding.

It is not really transfering to a new extension. Your current one will be canceled and then you will apply for one based upon marriage.

When you apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage you are given a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days later which is when you get the extension of stay stamp. The under consideration period is needed since the application is sent to the division headquarters for the region where you apply for the extension. Most immigration offices also do a home visit during those 30 days. 

I think your best option would be to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife instead of the one year extension. Then apply for the one year extension near the end of the 60 days at the designated office for where you will be living.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not really transfering to a new extension. Your current one will be canceled and then you will apply for one based upon marriage.

When you apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage you are given a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days later which is when you get the extension of stay stamp. The under consideration period is needed since the application is sent to the division headquarters for the region where you apply for the extension. Most immigration offices also do a home visit during those 30 days. 

I think your best option would be to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife instead of the one year extension. Then apply for the one year extension near the end of the 60 days at the designated office for where you will be living.

Thanks so much for the info. Im glad that I asked this question. Sorry to ask but what docs would I need to show to get the 60 day ext to visit my wife and what form number is this?

I presume that Im applying for the 1 yr ext of stay based on the marriage. 

Would I have to leave the country during any part of this?

10 minutes ago, allane said:

I asked Bangkok if I could move first, and then make the change in Chonburi (Jomtien). Bangkok said "yes". So, I moved. When I walked into the Jomtien office, they said "no, you will have to make the change in Bangkok."

I assume you were on an extension of stay not a 90 day entry from a non-b visa.

I think the problem you had was due to you not canceling your extension in Bangkok where it was issued before attempting to apply for an extension based upon marriage. An extension can only be canceled at the office where it was issued.

Just now, ubonr1971 said:

Thanks so much for the info. Im glad that I asked this question. Sorry to ask but what docs would I need to show to get the 60 day ext to visit my wife and what form number is this?

I presume that Im applying for the 1 yr ext of stay based on the marriage. 

Would I have to leave the country during any part of this?

You wife will need to be with you when you apply for the 60 day extension. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. You will use a TM7 application form. 

You will also need a letter from your employer stating the date you will no longer be working so that your current extension can be canceled before applying for the 60 day extension on or before the date on the letter.

No need to leave the country.

• Thanks 1

I change from a non-B to an extension based on marriage in Korat after finishing a work contract, then moved to Chiang Mai.  I had no problems.  Have your wife submit a TM30 in whatever city you land in.  Some immigration districts enforce the TM30, some don't.  Just be on the safe side.

7 minutes ago, connda said:

I change from a non-B to an extension based on marriage in Korat after finishing a work contract, then moved to Chiang Mai.  I had no problems. 

But was it during the under consideration period. The OP asked about doing the move 2 to 3 weeks after applying for the extension.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 11:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

You wife will need to be with you when you apply for the 60 day extension. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. You will use a TM7 application form. 

You will also need a letter from your employer stating the date you will no longer be working so that your current extension can be canceled before applying for the 60 day extension on or before the date on the letter.

No need to leave the country.

Sorry to ask another question joe...

Your solution to my issue is the most sound option in my current circumstances i.e. going for a 60 day ext. 

A few days ago we went to see the accountant about setting up a limited company and registering 1 million capital etc. They said that the list of requirements to get me the WP is cumbersome and expensive. They asked if I would actually be doing much work for my wifes business anyway. The reality is that I probably will not be very involved. After saying this the guy said to me that I should change my ext of stay (currently non B based on employment) to an O stamp. He said if Im on an O stamp and my wife is thai the immigration will not be too bothered. Tomorrow he was going to make enquiries about the O visa and about whether I need to cancel my WP. I immediately told them that the work permit is based on employment at my uni in a different province and that it would definitely have to be cancelled. Do you agree with this? 

Can you shed any light on this guys idea about changing to the O visa? Is it a daft idea or should I stick with first doing the 60 day ext and then move to the new province. Then do the marriage visa?. We have a baby as well for the record. 

thanks

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

Tomorrow he was going to make enquiries about the O visa and about whether I need to cancel my WP. I immediately told them that the work permit is based on employment at my uni in a different province and that it would definitely have to be cancelled. Do you agree with this? 

You would not get a non-o visa at immigration. You would change the reason for the extension you have now for teaching to one based upon marriage.

Will you still be working at the university?

You can have a work permit with an extension of stay based upon marriage. If you will still be teaching there would be no need to cancel the work permit.