Nicknames for Various Nationalities

Old Croc

I'm looking for guidance on which nicknames for countries are acceptable on Thaivisa and which are deemed to be trolling.

The English are very adept at giving names to other places, often using rhyming slang or slurs. Examples would be Taffy or sheep shagger for the Welsh, Bog Irish, porridge <deleted> to describe the Scots and convicts, skippies or antipodeans for Australians.

Many of these terms are commonly used on the forum with impunity.

Recently the term Pom was used to describe the English but was deleted as trollish. This term is commonly accepted in several countries, is derived from rhyming slang, is not a slur in itself and has even been used on the BBC.

Is it now policy that this word is considered a troll, and, if so, are all such slang words banned or only the ones the English don't like?

Are the all the members who use the term Pom or derivatives in their forum name, going to be banned?

Edited by Old Croc
  • Haha 1

I had cause to explain 'septic' in monosyllables to a dyslexic fellow Brit (who thought I'd called him 'Sceptic' in a Brexit thread in which we held opposing views) & found myself unable to post for several days as a result of a 3rd party taking umbrage at the term; having not previously understood who (nationality) the phrase referred to or how we Brits utilise our language.

HTH

Image result for wrong end of the stick

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

No comments from Admin on my questions ?

In my opinion slang words should not be used on the forum. It can lead to a misunderstandings because not everybody would understand what is was about.

From the Forum Rules

While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner which allows others to understand their posts. Posts full of intentional misspellings, all caps, no caps, or similar slang may be deleted in order to preserve a standard of readability. This is a forum, not an SMS or Twitter message.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

In my opinion slang words should not be used on the forum. It can lead to a misunderstandings because not everybody would understand what is was about.

From the Forum Rules

So that's sweeping with a very broad brush.

Do you advocate everything that may be construed as a nickname for a nationality should be considered a troll and the posts deleted?

And my last question in the OP?

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

So that's sweeping with a very broad brush.

Do you advocate everything that may be construed as a nickname for a nationality should be considered a troll and the posts deleted?

And my last question in the OP?

Most of the ones you mentioned in the OP would not be acceptable.

If a person objected to being called a Pom they could report it and a mod would decide what to do based upon how it was used. 

It would probably be a warning under one of these rules. A member would not be banned for using them. Just a warning and a possibly a suspension unless they had a lot of warnings. 

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.
9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I think a Forum should not restrict too much, but as I am not an native English speaker I not understand this words and so the meaning of some sentence make no sense to me.

From this aspect I am of course happy when no slang words are used

4 hours ago, HampiK said:

I think a Forum should not restrict too much, but as I am not an native English speaker I not understand this words and so the meaning of some sentence make no sense to me.

From this aspect I am of course happy when no slang words are used

Don't feel bad.  I am a native English speaker and a lot of the sentences make no sense to me, either.  Even when they're not using slang.

On the plus side, I've learned a ton of English that I'd never been exposed to in Texas.  Which has been a mixed blessing at best...  But it has honed my Googling skills.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been described as "Roma", which the Thais seem to use for Italians, and she pointed to my nose.  I think this is the type of nickname that would be OK to reference here.

Actually I am an American of Greek descent (all my grandparents came from Greece),  but when I answer I am American they shake their head because they are looking for a country/ethnic description, and not just the country of citizenship.  So I try to explain Greece and being Greek they never seem to have heard of the place, and this was even during 2004 when the Olympic games were in Athens.

• Haha 1

The Thais (especially newspaper articles)have nicknames for lots of nations.
Some I can remember are

"Poo dee Ungrit" for England
"Meung Narm Hom" for France
"Meung Tulip" for Holland
"Meung Chocolate" for Switzerland

Pizza for Italy
Saigrog for Germany

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2561 at 7:59 AM, johng said:

The Thais (especially newspaper articles)have nicknames for lots of nations.
Some I can remember are

"Poo dee Ungrit" for England
"Meung Narm Hom" for France
"Meung Tulip" for Holland
"Meung Chocolate" for Switzerland

Pizza for Italy
Saigrog for Germany

Sounds to me like they say Yellowman for German, Saigrogs a new one to me