This unappetizing fried chicken is proof of why we should stop the charcoal food trend

Jonathan Fairfield

It mostly looks like a black chicken variety, that is to say, the skin is totally black, it's considered a dainty dish in Asia and it blackness as nothing to do with charcoal, I fond some in Tesco from time to time but will not buy any more this black skin is not appetizing at all!

black chick.jpeg

black chik 2.jpeg

54 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

It is NOT healthy. It is loaded with HCA what causes cancer !!!

But Thai love getting cancer...

Your post is incorrect. I understand why people would think that because there is a link between eating charred toast and cancer but this edible charcoal stuff is different.

What gives these foods their deep dark hue? Activated charcoal, which is the byproduct of burning coconut shells, wood, or other plant materials. If that sounds dangerous to eat, don't worry: charcoal made from coconut is harmless, and is different than consuming food that has been charred or burnt.

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/activated-charcoal-in-food

4 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

It mostly looks like a black chicken variety, that is to say, the skin is totally black, it's considered a dainty dish in Asia and it blackness as nothing to do with charcoal, I fond some in Tesco from time to time but will not buy any more this black skin is not appetizing at all!

black chick.jpeg

black chik 2.jpeg

If its genuine then its not just the skin thats black

• Haha 1

You pay quite a premium for black skin chicken here in China.  Black even before it's cooked. 

It's supposed to make some things stay stiffer for longer. 

Edit:  Also relieves some of the suffering around Lady Time, which makes it worth whatever ya gotta pay for it.

Edited by impulse

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

Eat your heart out mate. Hopefully moving back there in just over a year.

Look at the photo and you have full permission to call me a ba--stard

unnamed (1).jpg

This looks fantastic, i haven't been to Naples but in Liguria the food isn't good at all, except the pizza's they are not bad but even pizzacompany makes better ones  (the superdeluxe pan pizza).

I tried one of those charcoal donuts a few years ago at Dunkin Donuts thinking it was some kind of play on words and that it would be some sort of decadent dark chocolate donut.  When I bit into it, it literally tasted like one would assume a powdered Kingsford charcoal briquette would taste like if it was generously coating whatever it is you were eating.  I guess it’s an acquired taste. 

Edited by Airalee

4 hours ago, overherebc said:
4 hours ago, Thian said:

This looks fantastic, i haven't been to Naples but in Liguria the food isn't good at all, except the pizza's they are not bad but even pizzacompany makes better ones  (the superdeluxe pan pizza).

That's just the starter. ??

We got food in the 4* hotels, was already paid..the starter was green lettuce (with nothing else) and vinegar/oil....:sick:

After that we got pasta (with nothing else), only with green pesto is nice....

Then we got fish/meat/cuttlefish with some frozen vegy....not nice.

Sometimes some soup, not nice (minestrone).

Desert was nice, pannacotta or tiramisu...

All in all very disappointing, and they also can't speak english. And 4* hotels are the same as in Thailand 2 *...but the country is beautifull and the pizza, panini's are great. Or a huge kebab dish for 6 euro, also great.

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

Yes,:smile: I should have said black meat of course.

No problem my friend the biggest laugh I had for a long time was when I introduced a good friend from Doncaster to black chicken I thought he was going to have a heart attack when he saw it

The two young ladies involved were quite amused as well but as bill said alls well that ends well  55555555

Both still married, but oh never mind 555555

11 hours ago, Thian said:

We got food in the 4* hotels, was already paid..the starter was green lettuce (with nothing else) and vinegar/oil....:sick:

After that we got pasta (with nothing else), only with green pesto is nice....

Then we got fish/meat/cuttlefish with some frozen vegy....not nice.

Sometimes some soup, not nice (minestrone).

Desert was nice, pannacotta or tiramisu...

All in all very disappointing, and they also can't speak english. And 4* hotels are the same as in Thailand 2 *...but the country is beautifull and the pizza, panini's are great. Or a huge kebab dish for 6 euro, also great.

Very rarely use hotels as we prefer to find self catering places and check out the local markets etc.

Find a place with a balcony with a nice view and in the morning have fresh coffee with bread some meats cheese etc all local. My Italian is 'passable' so local shops etc can be fun. Local old pizza joints getting hard to find though as it's now illegal to build a new wood ( olive root ) style oven, thanks to Brussels. Wander around some of the old back streets and you can find them. Best is a few miles inland from the coast, old towns and places where the mobs have descended yet although getting harder to find all the time.

Always hate the eat at xxx time of hotels although maybe get stuck with one night at the start depending on where the airport is from the final destination and maybe late arrival.

Edit.

Check this.

100222388.jpg

118215118.jpg

Edited by overherebc
Adding photos