What price a child's safety? School says they have no budget after drain accident

Jonathan Fairfield

What price a child's safety? School says they have no budget after drain accident

t1.PNG

Parents at a Chonburi school are outraged after repeated efforts to get a drain repaired ended in a serious accident yesterday.

Ten year old Prawanwit Phuangthong was running around after school when his left leg got trapped in a large hole in a drain next to one of the buildings at the Ban Chak Nork school. 

An elder pupil helped him before the medics arrived and managed to cut him free.

The parents said this was not the first accident and they had told the school to do something about it.

But they allegedly told the parents they didn't have a budget to pay for that. 

Source: http://www.tnamcot.com/view/5a8d48c3e3f8e420a54378e7

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-21

4 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Just "1 Traffic Cone" over the drain-hole would have prevented this accident. 

Just a small branch of a tree would also do. I see it everywhere.

And even the sidewalks to the new purple line have huge holes and are very dangerous to walk on....nothing new here.

How about the kid looks where he's going ??

Do we need to wrap the new generation, physically and emotionally, in cotton wool these days to prevent them injuring themselves or getting offended !!

If he hadn't fallen down the drain, he would have tripped over that ledge or the pipe or ran into a wall... :)

Edited by cornishcarlos
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Geeze My question is who is ripping off the schools funds if it is so low they can't even spend money on fixing drain covers, Call in Inspector Clouseau immediately.

image.png.d7e08b988e23d565aec1b00a0cc3a20d.png

See post above about director's Mercedes 

9 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

How about the kid looks where he's going ??

Do we need to wrap the new generation, physically and emotionally, in cotton wool these days to prevent them injuring themselves or getting offended !!

If he hadn't fallen down the drain, he would have tripped over that ledge or the pipe or ran into a wall... :)

Are you serious? Are you making excuses for the schools lack of maintenance. Lack of budget is the excuse for every woe here. Did the school receive their allocated budget and if so was any of it siphoned off?:saai:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Are you making excuses for the schools lack of maintenance.

Nope, I'm laughing at other peoples excuses for kids being incapable putting 1 foot in front of the other, without falling on their faces...

Hand eye (foot) coordination, in the majority of the new generation, is severely lacking. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

No budget ?   It's just pure care-less-ness of the Thais altogether. Schools and parents.

Guess the medical expenses are higher than the cost of fixing that drain cover, which has to be fixed now anyway.

Remeber that accident when a heavy steel gate that was just leaning against a wall in an angle too steep to be safe, fell down and killed a little child ?  Irresponsible fools everywhere in LOS.

Nowadays all kind of people, young and old, clued to their (notso)smartphones walking, riding, driving...  (you can finish this sentense yourself).

• Like 1

That happened to me when I was about 8 years old at my school in the UK!!!  But my leg got stuck down a concrete drain as the small square cover was missing.  Took a while to get me out and my leg was all cut up.  

And, the person saying kids need to look where they are going... yes, but in my situation the drain hole was very small and right in the middle of the pavement where we were all rushing out to the playground.  Accidents happen. 

Plenty of budget for director meals in expensive restaurants.. I'm guessing the budget conveniently avoids mention of all the under table money for admissions "special courses" extra tuition to ensure A grades regardless of test scores etc etc etc.. Such BS.. guys! Is anyone believing this is more than just a lazy festival and arguing about a few baht between the lower echelons??