Thailand Radio-amateur Operating Permit

Yohan

I wonder if any foreigner of this forum ever tried to register a HAM-station in Thailand on his name, and if yes, what kind of permission did you get for your QTH? What kind of callsign did you receive? HSxxxx ??

Or only guest possible in the club-call-sign? like AQB/HSxxxx ?

Did you get any permit beside the 144-VHF-FM and 430-UHF-FM band?

I am interested to link a IRLP gateway to the internet, as well to try various packet-radio modes.

Did anybody ever get a permission for HF? and if yes, for which frequencies, and which output? I am interested in 21 mhz-band to output of 20W

How did you licence your own transmitters, when bringing them with you from USA/JAPAN?

Which modes did you receive, beside F3 ?

Thanks for any information you have....

Johann

7J1AQB

Hi, yohan

Try to contact Radio Amateur Society of Thailand for more information.

http://www.rast.or.th/index.php

boran

HS1DHP :o

Good evening

HS1DSP Boran

from Johann 7J1AQB Tokyo

I know that site, and I will check it out next time in Bangkok in July ....

What made me curious, is that the site is containing only old data, it seems, nobody cares about.

Is this Society still really existing? As I said, only old data in that site....

What are your own experiences as radioamateur in Thailand?

I never tried to operate in Thailand - like to find first some contact with a guest permit.

Maybe you can give me some more information

Thanks a lot

Johann, 7J1AQB...

Hi,yohan

This morning I called to Post and Telegraph Department who control and look after about radio amature in Thailand and ask them about rules and regulations for

foriener to set up radio station in Thailand.

I'm afraid that you'll disappointed in this case. :o

They allow only these 5 nations

1. germany

2. USA

3. Austria

4. Sweeden

5. Swisserland

Because these countrys had made an agreement with Thailand already and unfortunetly not include Japan.!!!

Anyway, if you need more detail call this no. +66 2 2710151-60 ext. 705,706

(Post and Telegraph Department )

Hope this help

boran :D

HS1DSP Boran,

Thank you very much for your info, especially phone number, where to contact

a person in charge.

I am holding Austrian nationality, however my radio station call-sign is a Japanese one. I am holding the former old callsign 7J for the permanent in Japan living foreigners. I never had an OE callsign, and made the examination in Japan in Japanese....

Will see, what is possible. At least it should work as guest in a club-call....

Do you think, this radio amateur association, where you gave me the homepage, which was never updated, is still alive?

I know this is all a bit tricky....

Thanks a lot, 73

Johann 7J1AQB from Tokyo

Hi,yohan

First of all, give you a good news. :D

If you hold an Austrian passport you have a chance to apply for a licence.

The radio amateur society of Thailand still active and the staff who work there are very helpful.

You can call to +66 1 8639678 ( Mrs. Lawan ) and ask her pass you to talk with

Mr. Ray ( falang) .

This guy is in charge of all foreigner who want to join or set up station in Thailand .

You ought to visit this site for infomation.

http://www.qsl.net/rast/

If any question you can contact directly to Mr. Ray via e-mail which appear in this site.

Welcome back to Thailand.

73 :o

HS1DHP

boran

P.S Mr. Ray told me that you also can join with the club.

Good evening

HS1DHP Boran

Thank you very much for your information, this helps me a lot

Yes, I am also a member of the Radio Amateur Liga here in Japan, will be nice for me to meet some HAMs in the HS- region

and yes, I am holding an Austrian passport.

you can see my station and info at:

http://www2.gol.com/users/johann/e/7j1aqb.html

To take some rigs to my condominium in Jomtien would be an very interesting task for me.

Thanks again for the great information

Johann

7J1AQB

Hi Yohan

Ray at the Thai Radio Amateur Society is a helpful guy. The number of countries with which Thailand permits reciprocal licences is growing, and includes also the UK now.

As far as I can tell, it does not seem possible to do any mobile operation whilst in Thailand. The licencing requirements all seem to refer to a licence for the operator, equipment and location.

I'm more into broadcast radio, but I might get a reciprocal licence, (only for 144MHz since I don't have the morse...)

Good luck

Simon - G6JFY

daa-di-daa-dit to all you forum guys who are BORED SICK with this amateur radio talk :o:D

Hi Yohan

Ray at the Thai Radio Amateur Society is a helpful guy. The number of countries with which Thailand permits reciprocal licences is growing, and includes also the UK now.

As far as I can tell, it does not seem possible to do any mobile operation whilst in Thailand. The licencing requirements all seem to refer to a licence for the operator, equipment and location.

I'm more into broadcast radio, but I might get a reciprocal licence, (only for 144MHz since I don't have the morse...)

Good luck

Simon - G6JFY

daa-di-daa-dit to all you forum guys who are BORED SICK with this amateur radio talk :o:D

Hi, Simon G6JFY

from Johann 7J1AQB

Thanks a lot for your message. Great, there are some HAMs outside in the HS-region!

I have to upgrade here in Japan, I have my own small licence (20W no morsecode) but this includes packet radio, slow motion TV and so on, and HF on most frequencies (expect 10, 14 mhz and 1.9 mhz)

we are using here usually our sponsored clubcall of the Radio Amateur Liga

7J1YAA, 7J1YAB which includes all and everything, and has some 1-class licenced members....here in Japan it is all very easy.....

By the way, who is the guy who is BORED SICK already?

If my threads are against radical feminists, or pro radio-amateurs....there is always somebody, who feels BORED SICK about my subjects....

Best regards, 73

Johann 7J1AQB from Tokyo

Hi Johann, Ray advised me that my existing UK licence would only allow a 144 MHz reciprocal. I think I need to get the morse key out and get that test under my belt if I want to do any HF work in Thailand :D

In maybe a year or so I am moving to Phuket, about 500 metres from the sea. This site is rural and I hope to set up some decent antennas etc, but I'm going to have to wait until my house is built :o

I do have a Thai call sign, HS0ZEM, but like Simon43 my home call G6HPO does not include the morse qualification so I am limited to 144Mhz. That is the highest band licenced here!! Mainly Thai spoken on 2m.

The HS0Zxx series are all foreigners

The Thai's look at the level of your CEPT licence to determine where you fit in here, assuming your home country does have a reciprocal agreement.

Check with Ray via the RAST site

http://www.qsl.net/rast/

or call Tony Waltham at the Bangkok Post, he is also a committee member.

The society meets on the first Sunday of every month at a hotel in Bangkok, details on the web site. Visitors welcome.

Edited by astral

Hi Astral, out of interest, is there a lot of activity on 2 metres?  I speak reasonable Thai so I'm happy to chat in the local lingo.

Cheers - Simon

I am very happy to see, that some foreign HAMs are indeed existing in Thailand - I never expected even any reply to that thread....

The point is, if you could connect 144mhz/2m band using a computer and IRLP setup with the internet.

If this is legal, then you could connect to everywhere, where are IRLP base stations, here in Japan my friend and I - we were the first getting that permission in Asia, not only in Japan.....

Connected to the reflector in California you can talk basically to every HAM in California, using your handy with 1 watt in Bangkok....

I remember HS0AC made a packet radio link via the internet, but still I do not know, if anybody tried to licence IRLP in Thailand.

If OK, then forget about morse code and HF....just use 144 mhz, jump to other countries on internet, and exit somewhere again on 144 mhz overseas....

Using IRLP, access is only possible via HAM transmitters, and not via a mic and computer-software....so communication is strictly between people with callsigns, and not with some illegal hackers.

However we failed in Japan to receive permission to use additional repeaters. Anyway the IRLP net together with my HAM friends covers wide areas of Tokyo and Yokohama (maybe 80 x 80 km), as we all have rather powerful transmitters and towers on the roof for the relay-functions....

Johann

7J1AQB Tokyo

Well, my Thai Guest call is HS0ZFE and I am grateful for it. But elsewhere, I can use the HF bands after passing the morse code exam as Kf6vci in the U.S. Recently, some countries abolished the morse code examination alltogether. So hopefully, this will trickle down to a loosening of the rules. ** IMHO, 2 m activity is great - also try Echolink! If I get a small radio, friends can talk to me regardless of their location. Echolink permits one to talk to a ham who is driving to work in tokio or Bangkok or Los Angeles. Chris - Johann, if I can help, [email protected] is my e-mail.

Some of our members here (mostly foreign HAMs from USA) are also using Echolink, and we have also a gateway operating, between Echolink and IRLP.

The problem here is, that we all have to work to earn money in Japan, so we do not have enough time for radio-amateur-activity.

Hopefully better after retirement....

Good to hear, that Echolink is already existing in Thailand and it seems there is no legal problem with it after reading your post.

IRLP is basically similar, but requires a base-station, it cannot be used just by connecting a mic to the computer...

Best regards,

Johann 7J1AQB

73 from Tokyo

I would like to ask, if anybody of you as foreign HAM did import a TX-rig and/or antenna by himself.

Did anybody try to get permission to use that rig after importing and declaring them at customs in Thailand? Could you take the rig with you or was it kept back at the customs? I know you need an import permit for transmitters.

Or did you buy the rigs in Thailand? What kind of rigs are there for sale?

Should be the same about as here in Tokyo, as all comes now out of the Japanese factories, but what is the band for 2m in Thailand?

Here in Japan it is from 144.00-145.99

Are you permitted only for F3 (FM voice) or also AM?

And how much is the permitted Output....Here in Japan it is 20 W for the smallest licence as a individual, our clubcall is 50W/ mobil also permitted.

But USA is a bit different...

Thank you!

Johann 7J1AQB

73 from Tokyo