Petrol V Diesel Vigo

fisherd3

Ok I have done a search came up with nothing.

So petrol engined car much faster much quieter than diesel, generally it would seem more refined, so is there any other reason than fuel consumption that anyone would buy a diesel? and on average what percentage difference would you get between the 2.7 gas and 3.0 turbo diesel trying to drive around at optimum fuel consumption speeds.

I think I must be missing something here, please explain the attraction of diesels in the Vigo.

Cheers

So petrol engined car much faster much quieter than diesel, generally it would seem more refined, so is there any other reason than fuel consumption that anyone would buy a diesel? and on average what percentage difference would you get between the 2.7 gas and 3.0 turbo diesel trying to drive around at optimum fuel consumption speeds.

I think I must be missing something here, please explain the attraction of diesels in the Vigo.

Cheers

Diesel is a bit cheaper than gasoline and the diesel will get 30 percent better mileage. That plus the diesel will run practically forever with very little maintenance pretty well tips the scales. I would have purcahsed a diesel car if there were a domestic model available.

Cheers

here's the small detail Gary A omitted

Audi_R10.jpg

If you look at the Vigo/Fortuner engine specification there is not much difference between the petrol and diesel engine power output. However the torque from the diesel is enormous in comparison to the petrol engine.

This would be more noticeable in driving as you would not need to change gear as often and mid range speed used for overtaking from about 60KPH to 100KPK would be faster in the diesel. For the Petrol version to catch up you would need to use the gearbox, thus increasing the engine speed resulting in using more fuel.

There are arguments for the petrol version too. First and foremost the engine is much lighter and is not as stressed as much as diesel engines are. Compression ratios are much less in petrol engines. Secondly the petrol engine can be converted to use gas, but the diesel could also be converted to run on palm oil.

For reliability alone I would opt for a diesel, but if you want a quiet engine with less history go for the petrol

.........However the torque from the diesel is enormous in comparison to the petrol engine.

This would be more noticeable in driving as you would not need to change gear as often and mid range speed used for overtaking from about 60KPH to 100KPK would be faster in the diesel.........

Torque produced in either petrol or diesel engines, is directly related to the ratio of bore & stroke...particularly length of stroke. Some diesel engines are square or oversquare engines whereby the bore is the same as the stroke or the stroke is shorter than the bore. In this engine, max torque is produced at higher RPM. This engine has a higher 'redline' than undersquare engines, typical for small modern diesel engines used in sedans (not 4WD's).

A typical undersquare engine, where the stroke is significantly greater than the bore, develops max torque at quite low RPM compared to the oversquare engine.

So, it's not quite as simple as saying that diesels have better acceleration (than petrol engines) at certain speeds unless max torques at the relavent RPM's for both engines are known.

.........However the torque from the diesel is enormous in comparison to the petrol engine.

This would be more noticeable in driving as you would not need to change gear as often and mid range speed used for overtaking from about 60KPH to 100KPK would be faster in the diesel.........

Torque produced in either petrol or diesel engines, is directly related to the ratio of bore & stroke...particularly length of stroke. Some diesel engines are square or oversquare engines whereby the bore is the same as the stroke or the stroke is shorter than the bore. In this engine, max torque is produced at higher RPM. This engine has a higher 'redline' than undersquare engines, typical for small modern diesel engines used in sedans (not 4WD's).

A typical undersquare engine, where the stroke is significantly greater than the bore, develops max torque at quite low RPM compared to the oversquare engine.

So, it's not quite as simple as saying that diesels have better acceleration (than petrol engines) at certain speeds unless max torques at the relavent RPM's for both engines are known.

I was specifically directing my post at the Vigo/Fortuner petrol vs diesel argument.

I do agree with your point but its not specific to the question, as you can clearly see from Toyota’s own specification the diesel produces more power and much more torque.

Straight line speed I would assume the petrol engine would win due to the less weight factor but in reality driving the diesel is probably a much better performer.

Vigo Diesel

4 cylinders in line

Displacement 2982cc

Bore/stroke 96.0x103.0mm max output PS/rpm 163/3400

Max torque Nm/rpm 343/1400 – 3200

Vigo Petrol

4 cylinders in line

Displacement 2694

Bore/stroke 95.0 X 95.0 max output PS/rpm 160/5,200

Max torque Nm/rpm 241/3,800

Any turbo diesel will now perform in a similar way to a petrol/gas driven car/truck.

I think that once you've driven diesel for a few months you wonder why you ever bothered with petrpl/gas.

Noise?....a thing of the past, / performance equal to normal gas / reliabilty better than gas / longevity much better than gas / cost of fuel, cheaper and better KPLitre than gas / resale price, better than gas.

And this applies outside Thailand too.

As has been posted before, the noise in the diesel (Fortuner anyway) is not an issue. Bear in mind that at 100km/h, it's only turning over at about 1900 rpm; I struggle to hear the engine over wind/road noise. The only possible reason not to get the oil-burner as far as I can see is the 10,000km service interval, which seems very small to me. Or is it the same for the petrol one too?

Anyway, I'm very happy with the diesel lump. Having said that if the 4.0 V6 petrol model that's available elsewhere were on sale here I'd have gone for that instead. And boo-hoo to the greenies!

Pickup trucks are work vehicles. Diesel engines are better for hauling stuff around than petrol. Torque is more important to the farmers overloading their trucks.

Most pickup trucks sold in Thailand are the lower end models for work applications, with 2.5 liter engines. Usually the people who buy the big inter-cooled engines are folks who use them as a passenger car. A 2.5 liter petrol would not be able to pull the loads that a diesel of the same size could. Even if the petrol had twice the bhp rating. Torque!

I learned to drive in a Charade with a 3 pot 1.0 liter diesel. It was impossible to stall it! After that I had a 1.4 liter petrol and it took me a while to get used to how little guts it had at low revs. Diesel engines are cool.

Pickup trucks are work vehicles. Diesel engines are better for hauling stuff around than petrol. Torque is more important to the farmers overloading their trucks.

Most pickup trucks sold in Thailand are the lower end models for work applications, with 2.5 liter engines. Usually the people who buy the big inter-cooled engines are folks who use them as a passenger car. A 2.5 liter petrol would not be able to pull the loads that a diesel of the same size could. Even if the petrol had twice the bhp rating. Torque!

I learned to drive in a Charade with a 3 pot 1.0 liter diesel. It was impossible to stall it! After that I had a 1.4 liter petrol and it took me a while to get used to how little guts it had at low revs. Diesel engines are cool.

No, diesel engines are also hot or they would not run efficiently. The turbos intercoolers get so hot with high speed driving that, once the behicle is stopped, they have to be run on idle to cool them down before switching off.