U.S. gun lobby slams anti-gun 'elites' after Florida school massacre

webfact

29 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Schools as gun-free zones are simply the weakest link. 

I think schools are the weakest link, not because they are gun-free zones but instead because those who can be found there have only partially developed minds that lack reasoning abilities. Minds that are further crippled by being on social media every minute of the day from the time they wake up in the morning till the moment they fall asleep at night. I don't think any of us would recognize high school life as it exists today compared to what we have known.

http://www.businessinsider.com/undercover-high-smartphones-2018-2

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

The US military are over one million strong. The idea of a militia of religious nutters and gun freaks could put up any effective opposition is ludicrous. The whole second amendment needs to by scrapped.

Not sure I agree it needs to be scrapped, but certainly re-written.  

If serious legislative efforts get focused on re-writing the 2nd Amendment, that's when hordes of redneck gun-lovers will grab their military weapons and start shooting in ernest.

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

Perhaps you might look at my post again. I am suggesting that semi automatic military style weapons be removed from US society, as they have been in the UK. They have no sporting or hunting use, they are designed for one purpose only, to kill a lot of people in a short time. Removing them will go a long way to removing the problem of "nutters with weapons".

Personally, and I speak as a retired long serving professional soldier, I have long since concluded that the desire to own such a weapon is indicative of, if not a desire to then certainly a wish to be able to use it for it's intended purpose. They have no place in any society in the hands of private citizens.

If a gang of people that mean me harm come to kill me, which is a very real possibility in my country, I want the means to defend myself, and we are banned from owning handguns. A bolt action rifle just doesn't do the job.

48 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

The US military are over one million strong. The idea of a militia of religious nutters and gun freaks could put up any effective opposition is ludicrous. The whole second amendment needs to by scrapped.

Yes of course you are right.What stupid government does allow people to have weapons so they can fight this same government?

• Like 1

Just now, jvs said:

Yes of course you are right.What stupid government does allow people to have weapons so they can fight this same government?

That ship has sailed. At this juncture the citizens primary protections will lie in the establishment of term limits, campaign finance reform and much expanded citizen involvement in government oversight at all levels.

• Like 2

Just now, jvs said:

That ship has sailed. At this juncture the citizen's primary protections will lie in the establishment of term limits, campaign finance reform and much expanded citizen involvement in government oversight at all levels. Maybe mandatory voting too.

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Not sure I agree it needs to be scrapped, but certainly re-written.  

If serious legislative efforts get focused on re-writing the 2nd Amendment, that's when hordes of redneck gun-lovers will grab their military weapons and start shooting in ernest.

Well quite obviously, steps must be taken to ensure that everyone called Ernest is armed!

A 21st Century codicil to the "Importance of being Ernest"!

?

Sorry about that - after all the suggestion is sufficiently banal to almost be NRA policy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Becker said:

What it it's not a gang but a mob a thousand strong? The AR-15 just wouldn't do it. You would actually need a tank to take out those guys. Happy for private citizens to own a tank or where exactly do you draw the line?

Now you are being silly. Why would a mob a thousand strong attack me? A gang of a few bad people attacks people all the time- home invasions etc.

I want to be able to protect myself from an entirely possible situation, one that does happen.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Now you are being silly. Why would a mob a thousand strong attack me? A gang of a few bad people attacks people all the time- home invasions etc.

I want to be able to protect myself from an entirely possible situation, one that does happen.

Thats fair enough in a balanced debate, but what type of weapon would you need, how many of these weapons would you need, how many rounds of ammunition do you think you would need?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mike324 said:

Well this boy was has a history of mental heath problem, Trump rolled back Obamas law regarding to folks with mental health problem cannot owned guns. And in a meeting with the students just the other day, he promise strict background checks and even commented that those with mental health problems shouldn't own guns. What a hypocrite! 

We do not need more guns in schools, this will just lead to more accidents. There will be teachers who may go on a rampage, there may be students who steal the teachers guns, there will be accidents with guns going off in the class, and many more.

Do you know why he rescinded Obama's broad brush law on mental ill possessing guns? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why would a gang of people attack you, sounds like a silly excuse to keep your guns.

Statistically, there are over 8,000 home invasions per day in  North America 

http://www.lockjawsecurity.com/pdf/LockBumpingFactSheet.pdf

An estimated 3.7 million burglaries occurred each year on
average from 2003 to 2007.
*A household member was present in roughly 1 million burglaries
and became victims of violent crimes in 266,560 burglaries.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sungod said:

Held by a sane person who has passed solid background checks and posses decent weapon handling skills I would say fair enough, no argument.

What needs to be looked at is people who want to own multiple semi automatic weapons and 1000's of rounds of ammunition.

(Your typical white, right wing, bible bashing nut job who likes dressing up in camouflage at weekends  with the rest of the 'militia' who were either turned away by the military of could not hack it in the first place. )

I was going to support you on your first paragraph, and then you went and blew it in the second. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1