Chinese paper says U.S. should learn from China, restrict guns, protect rights

webfact

Chinese paper says U.S. should learn from China, restrict guns, protect rights

2018-02-23T032504Z_1_LYNXNPEE1M05U_RTROPTP_4_USA-GUNS.JPG

A note is seen on the fence of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School following a mass shooting, in Parkland, Florida, U.S., February 21, 2018. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins/Files

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - The United States should learn from China and "genuinely" protect human rights by restricting gun ownership, an editorial in a widely read state-run Chinese newspaper said on Friday.

The editorial in the Global Times newspaper was published after a massacre at a high school in Florida last week, in which 17 students and staff were killed, reignited a long-running debate about gun control in the United States.

"Washington has been pointing an accusing finger at other countries over human rights ... However, more Americans have been killed by gunfire in the country than American soldiers being killed in all U.S. wars," the Global Times said.

"Gun ownership in China is strictly regulated, which helps reduce gun-related crimes and deaths. The U.S. should learn from China and genuinely protect human rights," it said.

Human rights have long been a source of tension between the world's two largest economies, especially since 1989, when the United States imposed sanctions on China after a bloody crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators around Beijing's Tiananmen Square.

China rejects criticism of its rights record, pointing to its success at helping millions escape poverty, and regularly attempts to deflect the issue by calling attention to its critics' own problems.

However, the ruling Communist Party brooks no political dissent and President Xi Jinping's administration has seen a sweeping crackdown on rights lawyers and activists.

The Global Times, a hawkish news outlet run by the ruling Communist Party's top propaganda organ, the People's Daily, called it "inhumane" to turn a blind eye to gun violence after the shooting at Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Gun violence is rare in China because private gun ownership is restricted.

"The U.S. has no other choice but to adopt gun control. The right of life is the most fundamental (of) human rights. The right to bear arms cannot overpower the individual's right to live," the Global Times editorial said.

(Reporting by John Ruwitch; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Look at history where the population was disarmed and the state took over all aspects of life. Americans can decide this matter for themselves. 

Look at reality, where plenty of the US's own Western allies (vile dictatorships that they are..) exercise different policies on this matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

An American situation best handled by American voters.

I'll play my Trump car here and say, well looks like the American voters can get it all wrong.Better to follow the global opinion and loose the guns.

• Like 2

the american gun issue has been debated there since 1776; it is not one of the larger issues when considering way of life;

where would you rather live , china or usa ?

and why ?

reasoning people would , i believe, hugely prefer the latter

Edited by YetAnother
  • Like 1

the mass murderers in China use knives...although you don't get to read much about it...last story I read, some nut killed or wounded 30 in a train station...that said...war weapons should not be available to the average citizen...and on the subject of Trump arming teachers with concealed carry...what a kook...you have to be pretty good with a pistol to stop someone further than 10 feet away...that is if you have time to aim and shoot...hard to do when someone is sending a round a second at you...a 38 wont do it, a 9 mm might, a 45 is the best bet...but still -- distance, stress, superior firepower just make you another good guy with a gun made dead by a bad guy with a better gun...

16 hours ago, Benmart said:

An American situation best handled by American voters.

I tend to agree. Unfortunately, there are still about 30% of US voters who are more devoted to the NRA than they are to safety of their children.  They're the same folks who believed, for at least 5 years, that Obama was a Kenyan Muslim.  A country is only as good as its people, and a significant portion of Americans are selfish dummies.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, there are still about 30% of US voters who are more devoted to the NRA than they are to safety of their children.

That is an utterly reprehensible statement.

Suggesting that an entire block of people do not care enough about the safety of their children is exactly the kind of moronic demonisation which characterises the gun debate.

Has it occurred to you that the people in question might believe that their children are safer if the family has the means and knowledge to defend itself against malevolent people?

2 hours ago, car720 said:

Unfortunately not true.

I live in China and I can walk down the street at 3am in the morning without fear of molestation or mugging.  As can any woman.  The people here are genuinely friendly and hospitable.

The individual in China is much wealthier than the individual in the USA.

" The individual in China is much wealthier than the individual in the USA. "

An average Chinese factory worker works 60 hours a week and earns 3,000rmb (470usd)a month before all the deductions. 

The first time I visited China in 2000, factory workers average 700rmb a month.    

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, car720 said:

Unfortunately not true.

I live in China and I can walk down the street at 3am in the morning without fear of molestation or mugging.  As can any woman.  The people here are genuinely friendly and hospitable.

I have to agree with you car720. I feel much safer here in China than I did on the streets of Sydney after dark. I still enjoy most of my freedoms here and I have lived quite comfortably in whichever Chinese city I have been working in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elfin said:

I have to agree with you car720. I feel much safer here in China than I did on the streets of Sydney after dark. I still enjoy most of my freedoms here and I have lived quite comfortably in whichever Chinese city I have been working in.

1 hour ago, Elfin said:

1 hour ago, Johnnyngai said:

An average Chinese factory worker works 60 hours a week and earns 3,000rmb (470usd)a month before all the deductions. 

How do you calculate that?  USA work 40 hours a week..............  Did you know?

We have some time off for the family..................

In the USA and some other countries, You do have to 'keep your eyes open' for problems but 'percentage wise' we have it 'safer and MORE beneficial' more than YOU...................

I don't think there is one on one relationship between gun restrictions and authoritarian regimes.

That voice from China plays right into the NRA's propaganda agenda.

It's for their own domestic consumption of course and they don't really care about human rights in the USA of course.

On the other hand, morality lectures about gun control from the free democratic nation of AUSTRALIA might be helpful. But they are too polite for that, too bad.

6 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

Times have changed.

China now has the largest new car sales in the world and it is not the elite buying them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elfin said:

Exactly, you don't get pelted with a beer bottle here by some yobo driving past and the men are serious drinkers and still keep their testosterone under control.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, car720 said:

Times have changed.

China now has the largest new car sales in the world and it is not the elite buying them.

With a population of 1.3 billion, 10% of the population is a lot of people.  

With most of the Chinese products,  the quality is 30% lower and the price is 50% lower. 

As of last year, the minimum wage in the big 4 Chinese city is about 2600rmb per month before all the deductions.

The minimum wage in the million population small city is about 1800rmb per month. 

The young Chinese graduated from oversea universities  " without good family connections, and without a degree in applied science "

start at about 6000rmb per month.  

The ones with " good family connections and a degree in applied science " earn about 15000rmb to start.      

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, car720 said:

Unfortunately not true.

There are very few violent robberies in China;

I saw many business people bringing brick sized  stack of 100rmb bill to the bank. 

Crossing the street without traffic lights scares me as much as knights and guns,

because I have witnessed quite a few pedestrian injuries. 

The city center of the big 4 cities have plenty of traffic lights, but the mid to small city have very few traffic lights.

I usually cross the streets with women and children, because I use them as human shields.      

3 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

With a population of 1.3 billion, 10% of the population is a lot of people.  

With most of the Chinese products,  the quality is 30% lower and the price is 50% lower. 

As of last year, the minimum wage in the big 4 Chinese city is about 2600rmb per month before all the deductions.

The minimum wage in the million population small city is about 1800rmb per month. 

The young Chinese graduated from oversea universities  " without good family connections, and without a degree in applied science "

start at about 6000rmb per month.  

The ones with " good family connections and a degree in applied science " earn about 15000rmb to start.      

regardless of what the statistics may say, and anyone who has studied stats can tell you just how rubbery they are, the proof is in the pudding.  Ask anyone who lives here if he believes the people are poor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

There are very few violent robberies in China;

I saw many business people bringing brick sized  stack of 100rmb bill to the bank. 

Crossing the street without traffic lights scares me as much as knights and guns,

because I have witnessed quite a few pedestrian injuries. 

The city center of the big 4 cities have plenty of traffic lights, but the mid to small city have very few traffic lights.

I usually cross the streets with women and children, because I use them as human shields.      

So do I but not because they are human shields but because they are smarter than I am.:cheesy: