Is yellow book necessary?

Hi 

I just finished my process buying condo. Went to the Land office yesterday with a seller and agents all together. I have received  a bunch of papers that looks very important, but haven't received yellow book. 

Asked agent and he said I will need to go to the different government office to apply and receive it but also mentioned it's not necessary.  The seller handed over his blue book to me but it also didn't have his name on it, as my agent said people don't put their name on it there normally. So now I have a blue book with me now, and even agent said getting yellow book isn't necessary, however I've heard it from the forum that I need to have a yellow book after buying a condo, so I want to hear more opinions from here. 

If I need to have it, I will get back to the agent to get to know more about the process. 

Thanks! 

You dont "need" a yellow book as such. Its an ongoing debate as to the usefulness of yellow book and ID card. You get the yellow book and ID from local ampher not the land office (lots of threads about requirements and process as its different in each ampher).

You are listed in yellow book (as thais are listed in blue book) and it serves as proof of address, and you dont need to keep getting Certificates of residence from immigration. Yellow book is your name in Thai, can open bank accounts etc. 

• Like 1

The yellow book is proof of address for foreigner who live in Thailand. It is also needed to obtain a ID card for foreigners. Once you have the ID card you don't need to carry passport, or copy anymore. You can also use it to check-in for domestic flights and hotels,... I'm not sure if registering with Thai ID at a hotel will exempt the hotel to register your stay with immigration, if so then some Immi Offices requirements for TM 28 may be moot.

Up to you if you need/want it or not.

Edited by klauskunkel

The yellow book saves you time and money when you: Renew your driving licence, open bank accounts, extend your permit to stay at immigration, when you enter some national parks, so get it if they don't make it too complicated...

On 24/02/2018 at 8:43 AM, Peterw42 said:

You dont "need" a yellow book as such. Its an ongoing debate as to the usefulness of yellow book and ID card. You get the yellow book and ID from local ampher not the land office (lots of threads about requirements and process as its different in each ampher).

You are listed in yellow book (as thais are listed in blue book) and it serves as proof of address, and you dont need to keep getting Certificates of residence from immigration. Yellow book is your name in Thai, can open bank accounts etc. 

"you dont need to keep getting Certificates of residence from immigration." DLT, however, do not accept the yellow book as proof of address. One still needs the cert of res to renew driving licence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

The yellow book is proof of address for foreigner who live in Thailand. It is also needed to obtain a ID card for foreigners. Once you have the ID card you don't need to carry passport, or copy anymore. You can also use it to check-in for domestic flights and hotels,... I'm not sure if registering with Thai ID at a hotel will exempt the hotel to register your stay with immigration, if so then some Immi Offices requirements for TM 28 may be moot.

I am afraid to say that you do need to carry your passport or a copy of it. The reason being is that the ID card does not show your extension to stay details. This is the important bit to show you are not on overstay etc. 

• Like 1

On 2018. 2. 24. at 8:37 AM, HampiK said:

You don't need the yellow book. It's optional. Some posters will tell you, that a yellow book have some advantage like obtaining a pink ID card or have cheaper entries at some thai parks.

Also when you want to open a bank account it can help to have a yellow book.

What you really need is the following document, which shows the ownership if you are listened at the back of this.

The Blue book is only for Thais who live inside the condo.. so yours should be empty actually.

WP_20141004_003.thumb.jpg.c883e7d55f15af977c158e0fe2f4d3f0.jpg

Oh it's optional - then I will search the benefits and will decide it later. 

And yes, I have this paper with bunch of other papers, thanks! 

Like most things in LOS it’s questionable whether you actually “need “ it or not !

Also, it’s a lottery as to whether you can actually get one or not !

In my case there were an infinite number of hoops to jump through in order to get one, I gave up trying and, what do you know ?, I’m still here !!

Banglamung  City Hall added my Farang name to the Blue book that came with my new condo

However my name is on the inside cover

They cannot add to the pages.

Seems a simple solution.

Possibly the addition was at the descretion of the girl who attended to me. I will never know.

Worth a  try

17 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

The Pink ID is only normally of use in the Jang Wat or county you live in. So you still need your passport to be with you when travelling outside your area.. The Pink ID is off little use at all. Driver license is much more useful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

"you dont need to keep getting Certificates of residence from immigration." DLT, however, do not accept the yellow book as proof of address. One still needs the cert of res to renew driving licence.

The DLT accept it for driving licence renewal in this province

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

The Pink ID is only normally of use in the Jang Wat or county you live in. So you still need your passport to be with you when travelling outside your area.. The Pink ID is off little use at all. Driver license is much more useful.

As explained when I recieved the Pink ID, the "cannot be used outside of province" statement is a lost in translation thing and means "not transferable" if you move to another province, meaning if you move permanently you need to get a new ID from the new province. There are no restrictions on temporary travel or use with pink ID. (same as if you move states at home you need to get a new license)

I regularly use Pink ID at 3-4 places in Pattaya to get the Thai price and license is not accepted. Free admission to floating markets, half price lunch at Tiger park and admission to Thai only army beach south of Pattaya.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

As explained when I recieved the Pink ID, the "cannot be used outside of province" statement is a lost in translation thing and means "not transferable" if you move to another province, meaning if you move permanently you need to get a new ID from the new province. There are no restrictions on temporary travel or use with pink ID. (same as if you move states at home you need to get a new license)

I regularly use Pink ID at 3-4 places in Pattaya to get the Thai price and license is not accepted. Free admission to floating markets, half price lunch at Tiger park and admission to Thai only army beach south of Pattaya.

Quite. A few years back I had the set check up that they run in the Chonburi Cancer hospital. I had to hand in my passport and I could see it being passed from one in-tray to the next as we moved around the various sections. I went back a few weeks ago and this time I had the ID card, they took that and as with the Thais, slipped it into a small plastic wallet and stapled that to the documents that would passed around.

Up to each individual what they would consider the better arrangement.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 8:43 AM, Peterw42 said:

Correctomondo. I have had a yellow house book for a few years now, and last year got my pink ID card. 

They are not "that" useful, but are handy to have.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chicken George said:

Why is it that the DL brigade always think that everyone has or wants a driving license.

a year ago I went to the tessebaan to request a certificate of registration of marriage for a marriage extension of stay...and the man smiled and said: 'I can't give you one of those, but I can give you a yellow house book and a pink ID card!'

and then the always present sense of unreality set in and I looked to see if I was being covertly filmed as in 'candid camera'...all finished in about an hour with wife and stepdaughter present...

later hadta go to the amphur to get the marriage registration certificate...and I display my pink ID card proudly and the local functionaries nod and mumble appreciatively...I find that the pink ID carries more weight than the thai DL, folks are more comfortable with the numerical arrangement as it resembles the one on the thai national ID card: n nnnn nnnnn nn n...with your resident address and photo displayed prominently in front...

tutsi is minding his own business and then: 'hold on there pardner...you got some ID?' and I whip out the pink card and say: 'you best not be messin' with me, pal...'

On 26/02/2018 at 11:52 PM, Chicken George said:

You need to carry your passport or a copy at all times..........see a previous post I made regarding this.