Pension Confirmation Letter From Britsh Embassy

I can't imagine any way they could confirm your signature by mail so suspect it must be done in person.

Thank you. Didn't realise that they had to confirm signature. Can this be done at a British Consulate, say at Chiang Mai (I have sent an email but had no reply as yet) or does it need to be the British Embassy in Bangkok? :o

Hi

The letter that is required from the British Embassy confirming pension details, can this be done by post or do you need to go in person? I have sent them an email but have had no reply as yet:blink:

Hi,

YES you can apply by post provided you have an original pension details Company headed letter and signed providing basis details of you pension and you register with the UK Embassy (basic details that you are living in Thailand and where) then you CAN definitely apply for the letter by post.

I asked these questions directly to the UK Embassy, Bangkok in September 2006 and got the following reply (EXTRACT)

My questions to the UK Embassy (I sent a copy of my pension company letterfor them to view):

...I wish to pre confirm with you

1) Whether the contents of the Pearl letter are adequate and satisfactory for you to be able to produce the letter for me

2) Cost for doing so.

3) Expected process time required by your Embassy

4) When you are able to prepare the letter for me, are you able to quote my GROSS of UK tax pension

5) Apart from the Pension letter, what other requirements do you require from me.

6) Do I need to make the application in person, or can it be done by post or, can my Bangkok Lawyer act on my behalf to submit and collect documentation.

Kindest Regards...

The reply from the Embassy (extract)

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email. Kindly note the answers to your queries as follows

1 Yes, the contents of your documents are adequate.

2 Consular fee for a standard letter is currently Bt 1,763 (plus Bt40 EMS postage if applicable).

3 The letter will be ready for collect on the next working day after the receipt.

4 Yes, we can.

5 A plain copy of your British passport (photo page only) and local address

6 You can either request the letter in person or by post as long as you have register with the Embassy. Our online registration is available on our website www.britishembassy.gov.uk/thailand . Please fill out a form and print screen a hardcopy for enclosing with your request to confirm your registration. A Representative from you is also acceptable......

Yours truly

Pwllgrgn I hope this helps you

Regards, Dave

Yes I agree with Dave:

The only difference is they return mine in the post:

But why do they need your original pension papers every year, surely once they have them on record after your first application that should suffice.

And why do we need to get a fresh letter every Year for Immigration the only change on mine is the date, plus my original pension papers dont reflect what my pension is now because it is index linked.

Yes I agree with Dave:

But why do they need your original pension papers every year, surely once they have them on record after your first application that should suffice.

And why do we need to get a fresh letter every Year for Immigration the only change on mine is the date, plus my original pension papers dont reflect what my pension is now because it is index linked.

Hi,

Yes I decided I wanted to do the postal both ways option, and that is EXACTLY what I did.

I sent my letter and documents to the Embassy, and 43 days later I received ALL my documents back plus the Embassy official letter.

I do not know what this original signature item is: I of course sent a covering letter requesting the Embassy letter and it was signed by me. I also signed all photocopies as well, to be safe. I seem to recall I also chose to send ONE pension payment slip to support the Pension letter (but that was my belt and braces choice to do so).

My understanding is that you only need the ONE Embassy letter which can be used every year for Visa renewals whilst the SAME UK passport is valid because the Embassy letter makes reference to you and also your passport number (which will change upon renewing your passport).

ONE reason I can think of why you MAY want a NEW Pension letter in a future year (even though your passport used is still valid) is IF your pension rises each year AND IF your pension cannot currently quite reach the 65,000 baht a month threshold (like mine ONLY a little short and you need cash in a Thai bank to make up the difference) it MAY in future with one or two annual increases if you are JUST under the threshold at present thus removing the money in a Thai bank requirement (helpful).

Even if your pension will not reach the 65,000 baht a month for years, then ANY increase in pension and a new Embassy pension letter will reduce the balance you will need tied up in a Thai bank for at least 3 months prior to renewal request. (once again helpful)

Regards, Dave

Chiang Mai consulate can issue the letter, you get it next day. Don't know if they have a postal service.

I use a COPY of the letter I got a few years back each year with immigration and keep the original. That is what CM immigration told me to do so I don't need a new letter each year. Point about a pension is it should be guaranteed for life and go up - not down - each year.

Itook a friend to the immigration office in Jomtien to extend his visa and there was a guy there from the british embassy outside. Apparently he's there every day from 8-30 to 9-30am to deal with any problems british people might have. He told me if I took my pension details etc to him there he could write the letter for me. Might be useful for people living in the Pattaya area and save a trip to Bangkok.

Yes I agree with Dave:

Hi,

Yes I decided I wanted to do the postal both ways option, and that is EXACTLY what I did.

I sent my letter and documents to the Embassy, and 43 days later I received ALL my documents back plus the Embassy official letter.

I do not know what this original signature item is: I of course sent a covering letter requesting the Embassy letter and it was signed by me. I also signed all photocopies as well, to be safe. I seem to recall I also chose to send ONE pension payment slip to support the Pension letter (but that was my belt and braces choice to do so).

My understanding is that you only need the ONE Embassy letter which can be used every year for Visa renewals whilst the SAME UK passport is valid because the Embassy letter makes reference to you and also your passport number (which will change upon renewing your passport).

ONE reason I can think of why you MAY want a NEW Pension letter in a future year (even though your passport used is still valid) is IF your pension rises each year AND IF your pension cannot currently quite reach the 65,000 baht a month threshold (like mine ONLY a little short and you need cash in a Thai bank to make up the difference) it MAY in future with one or two annual increases if you are JUST under the threshold at present thus removing the money in a Thai bank requirement (helpful).

Even if your pension will not reach the 65,000 baht a month for years, then ANY increase in pension and a new Embassy pension letter will reduce the balance you will need tied up in a Thai bank for at least 3 months prior to renewal request. (once again helpful)

Regards, Dave

Still not sure last two years I have had to send everything Bkk to get new letter;

All returned within 7 days, but my original pension forcast well exceeds the 65000bht.

Last year I emailed my monthly Pension advice and also posted the original forcast when the letter returned the Yealry Gross was walked out on an emailed pension slip.

This year I am going to try emailing my original pension as an attachment see if they accept this, at one time an Immigration told me that show same letter next year no problem but British Embassey said no new each year, left hand right hand syndrome I think

Yes I agree with Dave:

Hi,

Regards, Dave

Still not sure last two years I have had to send everything Bkk to get new letter;

All returned within 7 days, but my original pension forcast well exceeds the 65000bht.

Last year I emailed my monthly Pension advice and also posted the original forcast when the letter returned the Yealry Gross was walked out on an emailed pension slip.

This year I am going to try emailing my original pension as an attachment see if they accept this, at one time an Immigration told me that show same letter next year no problem but British Embassey said no new each year, left hand right hand syndrome I think

Thanks for all the good advice :o

I can also confirm that it can be done by mail both ways (application and receiving the letter) at the Embassy in Bangkok.

You need to be registerred through the website and provide them with a print of that registration with your application.

Application should include copies of passport, original evidence of income (which will be returned), fee (just under 2.000 baht), return postage, return self adressed enveloppe. It can take near a month but it saves a double trip to Bangkok which is great for us living in the wild