Changes to the multiple entry tourist visa?

Hi,

I'm in Australia and about to apply for a multiple entry tourist visa. I noticed on the Thai Embassy, Sydney website the following (among several) requirements

• Copy of an airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand
  • Evidence of adequate finances (THB 20,000 per person, or THB 40,000 per family)
    • For multiple entries, a certified bank’s letter of balance or official bank statement showing recent balance of no less than THB 200,000
  • Confirmed reservation of accommodation in Thailand

I had a multiple entry tourist visa last year and I'm sure that item 1 re airline ticket was not a requirement

Item 2 is OK my pension docs will cover that.

Regarding Item 3, I will be living with a Thai friend for the duration of my stay.

Have there been changes to the multiple entry visa since last year?  I had a look at part of the recent very long forum post on the multiple entry visas but could see anything relevant to my queries. I'd be grateful for any help from forum members. Thanks.

I don’t know about any changes, but;

1. You could probably get away with a cheap (throw away) flight out of Thailand to anywhere.

3. A letter from your friend confirming you’ll be staying with them along with a copy of their ID should satisfy the accommodation requirement.

Even though they specify airline ticket, an online train ticket to Malaysia (less than $10) might be accepted (it certainly has been accepted by immigration on arrival). Call the embassy, tell them you will leave Thailand via Hat Yai to Malaysia. Doesn't hurt to ask. Let us know the outcome.

3 hours ago, mamboze said:

Copy of an airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand

In a letter addressed to the consul accompanying your application, explain that at the present moment you do not yet know on what date and with what mode of transport you will depart from Tailand but that you will definitely leave before the expiration of your permission to stay.

5 minutes ago, Maestro said:

In a letter addressed to the consul accompanying your application, explain that at the present moment you do not yet know on what date and with what mode of transport you will depart from Tailand but that you will definitely leave before the expiration of your permission to stay.

and they tell you they weren't born yesterday. just buy a cheap ticket to a neighbouring country, it's not expensive. problem solved. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

and they tell you they weren't born yesterday. just buy a cheap ticket to a neighbouring country, it's not expensive. problem solved. 

Make a one way online reservation out of the country on the 58th or  59th day.Make a copy confirming it.Shouldn't be more than 2k bht  

At BKK airport, a week ago, upon arrival, the visitor in front of me had no address on his  arrival card. At the initial check of arrival cards, before lining up to an IO, the visitor was told that it is illegal to enter Thailand without a hotel reservation and had to have one before going to the IO.

21 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

At BKK airport, a week ago, upon arrival, the visitor in front of me had no address on his  arrival card. At the initial check of arrival cards, before lining up to an IO, the visitor was told that it is illegal to enter Thailand without a hotel reservation and had to have one before going to the IO.

No doubt something got lost in translation. It is not illegal to enter without a hotel reservation, however, you do have to give the valid address of where you’re staying.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the helpful comments. My situation is that I am now in Australia, about to apply for a METV at the Thai Embassy in Sydney and I'm concerned about the current requirement on their website https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/en/visas  (scroll down page to Required Documents section and click on Tourist Visa), stating

"Copy of an airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand "

My problem is that I'm not sure of the exact date when I will be going to Thailand. In the past the visa stated something along the lines of "must be used within 12 months" or words to that effect..This leaves open the actual time when the visa would be used.

8 minutes ago, mamboze said:

My problem is that I'm not sure of the exact date when I will be going to Thailand. In the past the visa stated something along the lines of "must be used within 12 months" or words to that effect..This leaves open the actual time when the visa would be used.

A METV is valid for unlimited entries for 6 months from the date it’s issued.

13 hours ago, mamboze said:

Have there been changes to the multiple entry visa since last year?

Well there used to be double and Triple entry Tourist Visas which were discontinued and the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa was introduced, approximately November 2015. I thought the requirements were pretty much as you stated then but may vary from place to place.

Hi, I'm a Kiwi, been going to Thailand for many years. This time when I applied for a SETV I was told , yes I need a flight out of Thailand, needed a letter from my accommodation provider stating how long I will be there and a copy of their Thai ID and Passport. Getting very strict now. Its almost like they don't want tourists.

Having applied for now 3 METVs over the past 2 years at the Melbourne Thai Consulate, I've found the last 2 applications I've supplied a cheap outward ticket from Hat Yai to KL roughly 8 wks from arrival. But on submitting my application, they were mainly interested in my bank balance of min. 200k thb, equiv. then of about AUD$8000. I was handed back the other flight booking, wasn't required. This same application form is for single entry, multiple entry and Non-Immigrant purposes. The departure from Thailand requirements is more so for single entry visa, and not applicable for a 6mth METV. And the proposed address in Thailand can be your friend's address.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, wijipa said:

Hi, I'm a Kiwi, been going to Thailand for many years. This time when I applied for a SETV I was told , yes I need a flight out of Thailand, needed a letter from my accommodation provider stating how long I will be there and a copy of their Thai ID and Passport. Getting very strict now. Its almost like they don't want tourists.

You never said a truer word, you would think they would want to encourage tourists.

I would wait until you have your ticket before applying. I applied through New York City the last 2 times and use my round trip ticket copy but it shows entering Bangkok and leaving five months later and they did not care. For lodging I book a room for two weeks somewhere and send copy but I decided to stay with friends just before going the last two times and canceled it.  I think they understand you can't have reservations for 5 or 6 months.  Also please remember I got my visa from New York City and also once 3 years ago in Boston ( that's when I got a METV in 9 minutes on the same day while she hand wrote out the visa and we just chit chatted) and they are not known to be anal about requirements.. It would be nice to know if anyone got a visa in Sydney showing an inbound ticket and  also an outbound ticket with MORE than 60 days between them. 

Edited by alex8912

9 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I would wait until you have your ticket before applying

That works for most people. However, it can be a problem for people who only visit their home countries infrequently, working elsewhere and sometimes taking breaks in Thailand. They may genuinely leave their home countries before they know the date of their next visit to Thailand.

33 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That works for most people. However, it can be a problem for people who only visit their home countries infrequently, working elsewhere and sometimes taking breaks in Thailand. They may genuinely leave their home countries before they know the date of their next visit to Thailand.

Ok. I see. In that case for an METV would they accept an entry into Thailand from let's say KL instead of the country you are applying in/ home country? Then some people may have to buy a throw away ticket that would be a lot cheaper.  Also many large airlines for a much higher price will let you book a refundable ticket that you could cancel before a certain date that might work if you really don't know your entry date but need to get a METV. 

I either buy a flexible ticket which is pricier or just approximate the time when I'll be flying out of Thailand after my first entry.  I've always brought in all the paperwork including both my in/out tickets and they'd always given me my outward ticket back (haven't forwarded it for submission).  This was a while ago at the Melbourne consulate though so as things seem to be inclined, things could have changed.

8 hours ago, wijipa said:

They do want tourists. The kind that holiday in the country and leave. Typical tourists, book hotels/guesthouses and their flight home. They are getting stricter but only to discourage those trying to live in Thailand for months/years as a ‘tourist’.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wijipa said:

They don't want tourists who work on a tourist visa and that's quite understandable. 

hi op,  I recieved my metv end of last year and didnt have accom or ticket requirement as mentioned.  I did notice the website has been updated this year and they are a stickler to follow the rules.  For peace of mind give them a call or email first explain your situation,  if you have a tm30 stapled in your passport may be fine for accomadation.  I have had great freindly service and answered any questions quickly via email.  The thais in the aussie consults are like from a different planet, compared to the other country consults I have been too!