Mont Clair Red WIne

SkyRider

1 hour ago, SkyRider said:

I thought the Angove was nothing special at all, at 500 baht, I sure won't by that again.

I need to find that Hopes End.

I'm taking your suggestions, I bought the Hardy's and the World of Wines Cab - haven't tried them yet. 

I saw McGuigans, and yes, it was 499 baht, it also said medium bodied, but I like full bodied, so I passed on it this time - maybe I'll try it later.

Questions; there was a McGuigans red and a merlot. Are you speaking about the red?

And, the back of the merlot had a sticker on it in Thai, it covered up what the winemaker had to say about their wine, so I couldn't even read it!  

There was also a wine from Chile, Vina Maipo, classic Series, syrah / cab, that had a a Thai sticker on the back covering up the description, that said, something like; "Don't sell to under 20, don't drink and drive." 

Have you ever tried a wine from Chile, Los Tilos Cab?  

Unfortunately, you're getting to where the "rubber hits the road", because you like a full-bodied wine, yet the chances of finding a really good full-bodied wine at the price range we're talking about, are very very slim. Perhaps the Hopes End would be the best bet in this regard.

The Angoves is a medium bodied wine (am only talking about red here) and if you didn't like that, then you won't like the McGuigan's wine, or the World of Wines range, or the Hardys come to that – – all lighter style suited to pizzas, pastas and spicy Thai food and the like.

You mention the wines from Chile, and perhaps they would be your better bet because they generally are more full-bodied, even though they can be a little "rustic" and that is certainly so of the ones I've tasted and I have tried both of the Chilean wines you mention, but for the life of me cannot remember too much about them.

The more full-bodied Australian wines around that sort of price are Hopes End and just lightly less so, the Barwang range.

Even though the wines here are expensive compared to our home countries, it has to be remembered that the vast majority of them in the 500 baht range here would sell for the equivalent of around 250 baht or less back home. 

Price is very much determined by the quality of the grapes (and that means the soil, climate and age of the vines amongst other things) and whether they are irrigated or not and of course the region of origin and whether it is one which can support quality vines and quality product. Another point is that vast quantities of cheaper wines are made from younger grapes, with very little in the way of processing and just about none with regards to any contact with oak – – not worth it for cheap wines.

So it comes down to trying to find one that suits your taste in the 450 to 500 baht region and as the saying goes, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince (or should I say princess).

22 hours ago, xylophone said:

Unfortunately, you're getting to where the "rubber hits the road", because you like a full-bodied wine, yet the chances of finding a really good full-bodied wine at the price range we're talking about, are very very slim. Perhaps the Hopes End would be the best bet in this regard.

The Angoves is a medium bodied wine (am only talking about red here) and if you didn't like that, then you won't like the McGuigan's wine, or the World of Wines range, or the Hardys come to that – – all lighter style suited to pizzas, pastas and spicy Thai food and the like.

You mention the wines from Chile, and perhaps they would be your better bet because they generally are more full-bodied, even though they can be a little "rustic" and that is certainly so of the ones I've tasted and I have tried both of the Chilean wines you mention, but for the life of me cannot remember too much about them.

The more full-bodied Australian wines around that sort of price are Hopes End and just lightly less so, the Barwang range.

Even though the wines here are expensive compared to our home countries, it has to be remembered that the vast majority of them in the 500 baht range here would sell for the equivalent of around 250 baht or less back home. 

Price is very much determined by the quality of the grapes (and that means the soil, climate and age of the vines amongst other things) and whether they are irrigated or not and of course the region of origin and whether it is one which can support quality vines and quality product. Another point is that vast quantities of cheaper wines are made from younger grapes, with very little in the way of processing and just about none with regards to any contact with oak – – not worth it for cheap wines.

So it comes down to trying to find one that suits your taste in the 450 to 500 baht region and as the saying goes, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince (or should I say princess).

World of Wines Cab was OK. but you;re right, not full bodied.

" all lighter style suited to pizzas, pastas and spicy Thai food and the like."
For me, full bodied wine goes with any food. 

I rarely bought Chilean wines in the States, but maybe I try a couple here.

I still need to try the Barwang.  

I found Hopes End - drinking it now, it tastes pretty good, but I still prefer a more full bodied, Cab tasting wine.  

"So it comes down to trying to find one that suits your taste in the 450 to 500 baht region and as the saying goes, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince (or should I say princess)"

Actually, I was hoping for "350" to 500 baht range, but I guess 350 for full bodied, would be a miracle.  Problem is with kissing frogs here, there aren't many to kiss.  A wine shop every 3 blocks in New York. Here, I think the only "wine shop" I've seen, is in the little mall, on Soi 22.  At Villa and Foodland today, I was staring at the selection of wine, compared to the States, and sorry to sound over dramatic, but it felt like "the end of the world to me."  Like being in one of those movies, where the world is ending, and all the supplies have run out.  
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 11:06 AM, xylophone said:

Some red wines to look out for, and at "reasonable" prices. All IMO better than Montclair, with the Tesco Vineyards range marginally so...........

From Tesco Lotus stores:

Tesco Vineyards. World of Wines..........Cab Sauv, Merlot, Shiraz at 349 baht pb.

Lighter fruity style and a good match for just about anything, esp Italian and spicy food.

Hardys Bin 53.........a blend I believe and priced at under 400 baht.

From Big C stores:

Barwang The Wall range...........Cab Sauv, Shiraz at 499 baht pb.

An example of a wine that is just a cut above the cheaper Aussie wines, showing good fruit and grape typicity . This from the NSW part of the Riverina.

McGuigan Black Label.........I believe this is their low end offering and newly priced at 399 baht pb. 

Wines available from smaller wine shops: All under 500 b and lower where stated:

Taras range...............nicely made wine with some oak (oak chips/staves I would suspect) at under 500 baht.

Butterfly Ridge;

The Lyrup (under 400 b);

Hopes End.......a great wine at 500 b and down to 440 b. Would be a good value wine at 600 b;

Chilcas Chilean range:

Viu Manent (Chile).... Cab Sauv, Shiraz and Carmenere (for something a little different).

3 Medals (Chile)

Inspired Company...... Cab Sauv, Merlot

Bardolino (Italy)

Gossips......range, but be careful because the cheaper wine "Rumours" from the same stable does include "Fruit Wine"

And for sheer cheek/deceptiveness I saw an Italian wine, cheaply priced, and on the back label were the words "Fruity wine"............now wine with fruit juice added has to have the words "Fruit Wine" on the label, so perhaps trying to deceive?? 

Good info

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

OMGG, there is no excusing this country's attitude to foreign influence.  500thb for alcoholised Ribena, give me a break. Cambodia calling...

Why do they have to make buying wine so expensive?  

What other reasons, other then wine, would you move to Cambodia for?  

What's the price of wine, and the selection of wine, like in Cambodia?  

Cambodia has been my backup plan.  Maybe I should finally move there now.  Buying wine in here now will make me bankrupt. I can see the headlines now: Farang, loses all his money, buying, "average tasting" wine.

Edited by SkyRider
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2018 at 9:11 AM, xylophone said:

Hopes End (a good well made Aussie wine) which sells at 519 baht in Villa Market

Yes you recce'd this to me before thanks. Just bought tonight in Villa Market Pattaya and although the shelf edge label price was 519 as you say (and from memory previously it was 499) at the till I was charged 469 baht.........(I nearly said only 469....:biggrin:)

• Like 1

Why do they have to make buying wine so expensive?  

What other reasons, other then wine, would you move to Cambodia for?  

What's the price of wine, and the selection of wine, like in Cambodia?  

Cambodia has been my backup plan.  Maybe I should finally move there now.  Buying wine in here now will make me bankrupt. I can see the headlines now: Farang, loses all his money, buying, "average tasting" wine.

You never been there and it's a back up plan?

Geez.

11 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

You never been there and it's a back up plan?

Geez.

Yes, it is, from all that I've researched on it, and have heard about it.  

I wouldn't just straight move there. I would visit first, and spend a few months there, before making any decision on it.  

My first visit to Cambodia was 2004, transiting from Vietnam and I was smitten.  PP was a bit racy then, Sville downright dangerous and Siem Reap dusty.  The family from Oz visited SR/Angkor last December and I joined them for 4 days. Siem today is brilliant, bustling, noisy, international.  Wine  isn't cheap, 50% more than Oz prices but not bankruptcy territory. (Joke, I know)   And jasmine tea and French bread.  

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand, my wife, my dogs and the people of this village who have made me so welcome.

But I need a change of scene from time to time.  I wish Thailand would open up, not be so insular and accept foreign influence that goes with the 1st world status they desire.

PS   Open an Indian restaurant in Buriram, I'll be there first night.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

My first visit to Cambodia was 2004, transiting from Vietnam and I was smitten.  PP was a bit racy then, Sville downright dangerous and Siem Reap dusty.  The family from Oz visited SR/Angkor last December and I joined them for 4 days. Siem today is brilliant, bustling, noisy, international.  Wine  isn't cheap, 50% more than Oz prices but not bankruptcy territory. (Joke, I know)   And jasmine tea and French bread.  

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand, my wife, my dogs and the people of this village who have made me so welcome.

But I need a change of scene from time to time.  I wish Thailand would open up, not be so insular and accept foreign influence that goes with the 1st world status they desire.

"Wine isn't cheap!"......... I used to bring back Kangeroo Reserve (far better than any Mont Clair etc) for US$3.50 a bottle.... better stuff at under $10.

(Recommend Dhaksins for Indian in Siem Reap - and the best Indian food I have had in Thailand was sold by a guy in Surin)

44 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

Yes, Indian food, another one of my loves.  And another thing that is so much more expensive here, at least compared to the prices for Indian food in New York.  I miss Mexican food, in my opinion, it's impossible to even find good Mexican food here. 

13 hours ago, topt said:

Yes you recce'd this to me before thanks. Just bought tonight in Villa Market Pattaya and although the shelf edge label price was 519 as you say (and from memory previously it was 499) at the till I was charged 469 baht.........(I nearly said only 469....:biggrin:)

That's the price I paid for the Hopes End from Foodland, 469 baht.

14 hours ago, topt said:

I hope you like it topt..........and it can take some air/breathing to improve. In fact when polishing off the remnants in the fridge the next night I thought it had "developed" a little!

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You are only 75 mins from the border :smile:.... with another one going in soon, nearer to you.

Great news, and if I can insure and get my car in too, Cambodia here I come.  My one year extension via TW ends July 4th (Independence Day for some)   I paid 1000baht for re-entry last time, multi entry costs 3k.   I'm not going full time, too much invested  here,  but I like on occasion to go walkabout.  

48 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

Great news, and if I can insure and get my car in too, Cambodia here I come.  My one year extension via TW ends July 4th (Independence Day for some)   I paid 1000baht for re-entry last time, multi entry costs 3k.   I'm not going full time, too much invested  here,  but I like on occasion to go walkabout.  

Can take the car but can't insure it.

Multiple Re-entry 3,800 Baht.

Siem Reap is a great place to go walkabout........ I have probably been 35 times in the last 10 years.

33 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Siem Reap is a great place to go walkabout........ I have probably been 35 times in the last 10 years.

I was thinking of going to SR to escape Songkran and enjoy some well priced wine along with different food BUT not sure if they celebrate as wildly in SR as they do here??

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I was thinking of going to SR to escape Songkran and enjoy some well priced wine along with different food BUT not sure if they celebrate as wildly in SR as they do here??

They don't.

Water throwing in town was certainly banned (and observed) last time I went at Songkran. The authorities deemed it dangerous for all motorbikes and they recognised that many tourists, dressed up for the evening, don't appreciate a soaking.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, xylophone said:

I hope you like it topt..........and it can take some air/breathing to improve. In fact when polishing off the remnants in the fridge the next night I thought it had "developed" a little!

Do you think it tastes better the next day if you put it in the fridge?  I'm finishing the hopes end bottle that I opened last night.  Didn't put it in the fridge, but it still tastes pretty good. 

I noticed a bottle of Renmano, Chairman's selection, Cab, 2016, at Foodland today. 479 baht.

Have you had it before?  

11 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Do you think it tastes better the next day if you put it in the fridge?  I'm finishing the hopes end bottle that I opened last night.  Didn't put it in the fridge, but it still tastes pretty good. 

I noticed a bottle of Renmano, Chairman's selection, Cab, 2016, at Foodland today. 479 baht.

Have you had it before?  

GF sent me a pic of, Chaton Grand Matou, Vintage, 780 baht for a 3 liter box.  Do you know anything about this wine?  

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

It's worth noting that in Hua Hin the Songkran crazy lasts for only 1 day.

That's it - one day of water and it's all over until the next year.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

GF sent me a pic of, Chaton Grand Matou, Vintage, 780 baht for a 3 liter box.  Do you know anything about this wine?  

No sorry SR I don't, but it will/should have info on the box saying if it was mixed with fruit juice or wording such as "Aromatized alcoholic Beverage".............doubt that it would be "normal" wine at that price and most likely from the South of France (Languedoc region) which does produce vast quantities of average (and poor) wine, but conversely with some very good ones!!

The Hopes End does, esp as I pump the air out of it with a little contraption I have and don't remember having the Renmano in recent years..........

14 minutes ago, xylophone said:

No sorry SR I don't, but it will/should have info on the box saying if it was mixed with fruit juice or wording such as "Aromatized alcoholic Beverage".............doubt that it would be "normal" wine at that price and most likely from the South of France (Languedoc region) which does produce vast quantities of average (and poor) wine, but conversely with some very good ones!!

The Hopes End does, esp as I pump the air out of it with a little contraption I have and don't remember having the Renmano in recent years..........

I also have a contraption to pump the air out. Brought it here from the States.

I had heard that putting wine in the fridge, ruins it, that's not true?  Your wine really tastes better that way?

My AC is on at night, so the wine is probably exposed to real heat for about 12 hours when the AC is off,  

Trying your Black Label now, and again, I'll say it's pretty good.  In the States, I mostly only bought Cabs. But these wines that you are recommending to me, are actually, delicious.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2018 at 7:22 PM, SkyRider said:

I also have a contraption to pump the air out. Brought it here from the States.

I had heard that putting wine in the fridge, ruins it, that's not true?  Your wine really tastes better that way?

My AC is on at night, so the wine is probably exposed to real heat for about 12 hours when the AC is off,  

Trying your Black Label now, and again, I'll say it's pretty good.  In the States, I mostly only bought Cabs. But these wines that you are recommending to me, are actually, delicious.  

I must have missed this post SkyRider, so a couple of points to note............

Putting wine in the fridge does not spoil it and whilst white wine takes to it very well, provided is not TOO cold, red wine also takes to it very well, however I do let it come up a few degrees before I start on it, as a red wine which is too cold will hide a lot of the "flavours" whilst a red wine which is too warm./hot will result in something called "volatile aromas", in which the more subtle flavours cannot be tasted and alcohol becomes very apparent.

You will see a lot of people suggest that red wine should be drunk at room temperature – – well that was something which was in vogue a couple of centuries ago when room temperature in stately mansions and castles was around 18 to 20°C however most people will agree that drinking red wine at around 22° C or thereabouts is fine. On the other hand drinking it at room temperature in Thailand will certainly bring out those "volatile aromas".

I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature variation in the wines you have, because if you are keeping them for months even years, then I would be a little worried, but as most of us buy wine and drink it within a matter of days, the temperature variations won't make a lot of difference – – as I have mentioned previously if this happened over years, then this will age the wines prematurely.

Very pleased that you are finding some of the wines I have recommended to your liking.

I don't know how many folks reading this are based in Phuket, so I may put this on the other Montclair wine thread as well, however I found a little wine shop in Boat Lagoon (near Laguna) which specialises in high-end French and Australian wines mainly, and the owner Yves is a certified French sommelier and wine educator and certainly knows his stuff.

So if anyone is looking for that special bottle for a special occasion, try visiting Wine square Ltd at www.winesquareltd.com   

Edited by xylophone

Mont Clair, the cheap one, isn't wine. It is fruit wine.

Anything sold for less than 500 Bahts is unlikely to be wine. 

We are here in the ludicrous situation where we have to pay 20 Euros for a Côte-du-Rhone Village that costs 4 or 5 Euros in any French supermarket.

Yes, a Beaujolais Village 2016, 590 B the bottle. And again, I did not find it pleasant.
Currently, in France, it is the wine fair.:burp:
When I hear the derisory price of known wines, on the radio, I tell myself that we pay dearly this wine of shit in Thailand.
No wine can withstand long transport or disastrous storage.

11 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Mont Clair, the cheap one, isn't wine. It is fruit wine.

Anything sold for less than 500 Bahts is unlikely to be wine. 

We are here in the ludicrous situation where we have to pay 20 Euros for a Côte-du-Rhone Village that costs 4 or 5 Euros in any French supermarket.

Not sure if you have perused many of the thread pages but if you had you would have seen that your point has been covered in great depth many times.......:coffee1:

• Like 2