Australia names new deputy prime minister

webfact

Australia names new deputy prime minister

By Colin Packham

2018-02-25T223149Z_1_LYNXNPEE1O0XH_RTROPTP_4_AUSTRALIA-POLITICS.JPG

Australia's Minister for Veterans' Affairs Michael McCormack speaks as he stands next to Australia's Minister for Sport Bridget McKenzie after being elected as the leader of the country's National Party and thus becoming Australia's new deputy prime minister in Canberra, Australia February 26, 2018. AAP/Lukas Coch/via REUTERS

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Michael McCormack was on Monday elected Australia's new deputy prime minister after being selected as the leader of the country's National Party, the junior partner in the country's coalition government.

McCormack replaces former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce who was forced to resign last week amid public anger over an extramarital affair with his former press secretary with whom he is now expecting a child.

The leader of the National Party automatically becomes deputy prime minister under the terms of the coalition agreement with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's Liberal party.

"I will honour the faith and trust and responsibility by always doing my best," McCormack told reporters in Canberra.

The appointment of McCormack will ease pressure on the government that was left reeling after revelations of Joyce's affair, a scandal that threatened to fracture the government.

Turnbull called Joyce's affair a "shocking error of judgement", to which Joyce responded by calling Turnbull "inept".

Although offering some respite to Turnbull, McCormack is little known around the country, weakening the government's re-election prospects.

Turnbull must head back to the polls by May 2019.

(Reporting by Colin Packham, editing by David Evans)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-26

19 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully this guy is not a duel nationality of some sorts and can keep his dick in his pants

long enough to do the job....

To be honest ...  it shouldn't matter what they do in their personal lives,   who really cares  ??   What he does or she does doesn't put food on the table or give people jobs ....     it's a load of BS to keep bringing it up ...

If they put as much energy into creating jobs instead of both those stupid issues,  it would be alot more positive for the country  !!     they are all scum anyway imo. :shock1:

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

To be honest ...  it shouldn't matter what they do in their personal lives,   who really cares  ??   What he does or she does doesn't put food on the table or give people jobs ....     it's a load of BS to keep bringing it up ...

If they put as much energy into creating jobs instead of both those stupid issues,  it would be alot more positive for the country  !!     they are all scum anyway imo. :shock1:

Have to agree about personal lives, but there was much more to this. His philandering was coupled with a hypocritical claim to represent family values, there are serious questions yet to be answered about a job seemingly created for his mistress, and then a claim of sexual harassment put the icing on the cake. OK, it was a pinch on the bum, not an attempted rape, but certainly offended the woman who was one of their own (WA rural woman of the year, no less).

51 minutes ago, halloween said:

Have to agree about personal lives, but there was much more to this. His philandering was coupled with a hypocritical claim to represent family values, there are serious questions yet to be answered about a job seemingly created for his mistress, and then a claim of sexual harassment put the icing on the cake. OK, it was a pinch on the bum, not an attempted rape, but certainly offended the woman who was one of their own (WA rural woman of the year, no less).

I understand what your saying, but priority for this government should be JOBS ... JOBS ... JOBS  ....     if folks don't have a job then they cannot spend at the grocery store ... then the grocery store cannot hire more staff , and all the other businesses that rely on customers. 

The Barnaby issue just shows how immature they ALL are ... he did this  !!   he said that  !!   bla ,  bla .. bla ....   

If anyone had the balls to start a new ' common sense ' party and get back to ground roots basics, running the country and making common sense decisions they would win hands down in an election IMO.

ok ... that's my rant.

26 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I understand what your saying, but priority for this government should be JOBS ... JOBS ... JOBS  ....     if folks don't have a job then they cannot spend at the grocery store ... then the grocery store cannot hire more staff , and all the other businesses that rely on customers. 

The Barnaby issue just shows how immature they ALL are ... he did this  !!   he said that  !!   bla ,  bla .. bla ....   

If anyone had the balls to start a new ' common sense ' party and get back to ground roots basics, running the country and making common sense decisions they would win hands down in an election IMO.

ok ... that's my rant.

"If anyone had the balls to start a new ' common sense ' party and get back to ground roots basics, running the country and making common sense decisions they would win hands down in an election IMO."

Well Steve, there's your opportunity to follow your hero and become the leader of a country.   Think you may need people to vote for you though...... unless you've got mates with a lot of guns.

Edited by PREM-R
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PREM-R said:

"If anyone had the balls to start a new ' common sense ' party and get back to ground roots basics, running the country and making common sense decisions they would win hands down in an election IMO."

Well Steve, there's your opportunity to follow your hero and become the leader of a country.   Think you may need people to vote for you though...... unless you've got mates with a lot of guns.

oh wait ....  !!    so that's what democracy gets you  ?  a bunch of whinging misfits who couldn't run a BBQ ....  let alone a country.

Give me the Junta over that bs anyday.  tks.

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

oh wait ....  !!    so that's what democracy gets you  ?  a bunch of whinging misfits who couldn't run a BBQ ....  let alone a country.

Give me the Junta over that bs anyday.  tks.

As I understand you are an Antipodean, are you not familiar with the  "Fair Go Mate" attitude of your countrymen?

Edited by PREM-R
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PREM-R said:

As I understand you are an Antipodean, are you not familiar with the  "Fair Go Mate" attitude of your countrymen?

just seen this today ....

PM’s former second home sells for $20m

Turnbulls get new neighbours ...            If this doesn't mean corruption is within politics then I don't know what does ....   lol   Who earns 20M in their lifetime   !!

• Like 1

You are aware of course of Turnbulls wealth before he entered parilament?

A multi-millionaire, he purchased a stake of internet service provider Ozemail in 1994 for $500,000 and sold his stake just months before the dot com bubble burst in 1999 for $57 million, paving the way to his current estimated net worth of above $200 million with entries in the BRW Rich 200 list.
Malcolm Turnbull - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Turnbull

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

just seen this today ....

PM’s former second home sells for $20m

Turnbulls get new neighbours ...            If this doesn't mean corruption is within politics then I don't know what does ....   lol   Who earns 20M in their lifetime   !!

Turnbull made millions from business e.g. when he sold out of Ozmail. Current wealth approx AUD200m

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

ok ... that's my rant.

Here here... more power to pauline

• Like 2

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

we care it's Australia

15 hours ago, Media1 said:

we care it's Australia

so you care about some MP shagging an office girl   !!     you care more about a silly thing like that than creating jobs.  :annoyed:

I think you are like many Aussies with no common sense anymore ....  You need to get your priorities right ... IMO

Edited by steven100

so you care about some MP shagging an office girl   !!     you care more about a silly thing like that than creating jobs.  :annoyed:
I think you are like many Aussies with no common sense anymore ....  You need to get your priorities right ... IMO

Un actually the “Mp shagging an office girl “ was getting that said hooker a job in government dept ! But maybe you think that’s ok

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app