Video: Tourist has just two words (repeatedly) for cabby who won't turn on the meter

webfact

6 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

yeah, come to S.E. Asia get gobby and risk getting a beating because cabbie doesn’t want to turn the meter on.... or could’ve just walked away...... these knobs bring it on themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I use GRAB know what you pay before they arrive, get the app on App Store 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sushi5734 said:

You sometimes find that at busy pick up points, all of the taxi drivers will have an agreement to refuse to take a metered fare.  I once had my taxi hemmed in by other taxis, my driver was threatened by the other drivers for taking meter fare.  

i read your post with quite an interest. seems like you live in a parallel world with another Thailand in it.  I live here quite a long time and there were a few times when I was offered a high tariff. most of the time I managed to politely make the price normal. sometimes they refused to charge me normal price. then I just said no. and nobody became aggressive and offended me in return. nobody.

I think it's generally the right of seller to request

the price he wants (it's definitely not the case of taxi, because there is a law in place). and the right of buyer to manage to know the real price and to negotiate politely, so the seller can accept the low price without losing face.

it seems like there is something wrong in the way you communicate with people. with Thai people.

1 hour ago, sushi5734 said:

Anyone who isn't Thai is not allowed to complain?

not at all. in my posts I recommended to complain. to use the law to improve things instead of slurring

foreigners here should be more acceptable. they should realize that Thai society works differently. That something which is acceptable in the West is unacceptable here. that they should play by Thai rules which include politeness and emotion control.

do Thais break these rules? sure! as any other nation. but foreigners should try to behave like best Thais, not worst.

6 hours ago, Essecola said:

It looks like somewhere on Sukhumvit. Actually it is normal many of them don't use the meter there. If the guy had waited for a moving taxi maybe this doesn't happen. Maybe not nice but in some areas in fact taxis insist on getting a set fare for a trip.

Then why have a sign on the top saying "Meter Taxi"? Sigh!!!

48 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

You are assuming the cocky farang would not be able to defend himself and inflict greater punishment on you. So aren't you also being cocky? 

no I dont. but I know that I will defend what is right without regard on repercussions. Right is right.

and, by the way, usually wins not the one who is stronger, bu the one who managed to cause fear in the enemy.

48 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

Beating the shit out of someone for saying  "<deleted> you" wouldn't make you a decent man but it would make you a criminal. 

may be. but sometimes its better to become a criminal but defend your dignity.

Edited by Matt96

not at all. I never ever start a conflict intentionally, try my best not to provoke people. but if nevertheless they loose control and start to slur - I punish.
You're missing something here Mr Matt96.

It is YOU who is losing control.

Having now read your posts over a couple of pages, let me say this....you are going the right way to having your embassy given the unfortunate task of telling your family you are deceased.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Essecola said:

It looks like somewhere on Sukhumvit. Actually it is normal many of them don't use the meter there. If the guy had waited for a moving taxi maybe this doesn't happen. Maybe not nice but in some areas in fact taxis insist on getting a set fare for a trip.

Easy, simply don't get in the Taxi and try another one etc .

I make a point of not traveling anywhere in BKK during peak hour traffic.

Understanding how angry you could get with things like this . is always best to keep calm and tongue in cheek smile and say no thank you . what ever the case we are visitors to their country.   He was lucky it didn't turn into violence. Then lots of time and mabey money paid out for WHAT.  Sorry no metre i not ride is all it needed  lots of other taxis about.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

yeah, come to S.E. Asia get gobby and risk getting a beating because cabbie doesn’t want to turn the meter on.... or could’ve just walked away...... these knobs bring it on themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You are funny.The weasel.is breaking the law and robbing people..He also couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag

I've had such a belly full of Thailand and all its underhand low life ways that i'm looking forward to leaving, it used to be  great place, this is just another aspect of Thainess.... Personally i just get out and walk away, it's not worth the childish aggravation from this lot......

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Nowadays ya just don't F@@@ with these people! They're knifing each other over parking spots!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Always make clear you want the meter used before you get in a taxi, if they won’t, don’t get in. 

Continuously opening the the doors open was a stupid, petulant act. 

Wonder who was filming? Seems like they knew what was going to happen. 

Dangerous VERY TRUE, but I've done it myself at Christmas/New Year once.

One guy came at me with a Tire Iron, but when he realized I wasn't running as he expected, He got back in his taxi and left.

If enough people do it, could become a meme :)

Safer to take their number and report them. It does actually work, and the call centre do take action and even return follow up calls!  I've not done it recently since I use Grab/Uber or security guards at my apartment

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

i read your post with quite an interest. seems like you live in a parallel world with another Thailand in it.  I live here quite a long time and there were a few times when I was offered a high tariff. most of the time I managed to politely make the price normal. sometimes they refused to charge me normal price. then I just said no. and nobody became aggressive and offended me in return. nobody.

I think it's generally the right of seller to request

the price he wants (it's definitely not the case of taxi, because there is a law in place). and the right of buyer to manage to know the real price and to negotiate politely, so the seller can accept the low price without losing face.

it seems like there is something wrong in the way you communicate with people. with Thai people.

not at all. in my posts I recommended to complain. to use the law to improve things instead of slurring

foreigners here should be more acceptable. they should realize that Thai society works differently. That something which is acceptable in the West is unacceptable here. that they should play by Thai rules which include politeness and emotion control.

do Thais break these rules? sure! as any other nation. but foreigners should try to behave like best Thais, not worst.

The truth is most BKK Taxi drivers (Taxi mafia) are over fatigued, bad tempered extortionists who try it on at every opportunity. 

While people continue to tolerate them,  the problem being (acknowledged by the authorities) the Taxi mafia will continue to pose a threat of violent reaction to farang tourists; including outright murder.

Although I support a non-confrontational approach , I believe that offending drivers should be reported after disengagement.    Additionally we should be sharing those drivers who do use the obligatory meters,  I always use the same lady driver BKK to Pattaya (Tans Taxis) and a couple of others in and around BKK when they're available.

Now GRAB Taxi is established I'll tap into them as well.

Spread the word, boycott and report the Bangkok Taxi mafia.       

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

He didnt "hit" you though .

You ask why you would" want to show anything to anybody" , but why would you want to show how tough you are to anybody ?

BTW , are you from the USA ?

Blimey hope he ain't got a gun!!!....

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Media1 said:

You are funny.The weasel.is breaking the law and robbing people..He also couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag

You should know that Thais don't brawl one on one, and are rarely out of range of their back up pals. 

Usually if I know the approximate price then I'll negotiate with the cabbie because I just want to get where I want to be.  In most cases they grin and we agree on a price that is a little more (50-60 baht) than what the approximate meter price would be.  We then have a friendly chat and I let them know that I always leave a tip when the meter is on anyway but in cases where it's not that they've already received their tip.