What are the financial requirements for a "Marriage Visa'?

This topic has likely been chatted to death, but I'm still not sure what Thai immigration wants or will accept.  I've seen it stated this way :

1.) 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account. 

2.) An income of 40,000 baht per month (before or after home country takes their cut in taxes). 

3.) A combination of the two adding up to a yearly income of 400,000. 

I'm trying to figure this one out as my wife really wants me home on a full time basis.  The 400,000 is doable but leaves nothing for emergencies on a yearly basis.  Yes, my financial situation sucks and getting worse as the baht is kicking ass on the Canadian dollar. 

Anyway, a little knowledgeable input on this would be of much help. 

Also, does anyone see the baht tanking any time soon? ???

no such thing as a marriage visa but the 2 ways to stay in Thailand if you are married to a Thai are

for a 1 year extension for Thai wife - 400,000 in a Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months prior to the application or 40,000 baht per month income before any tax etc. either by way of a letter from your embassy or wages in Thailand.

no combination method available. so one of the above

or for a 1 year multi entry non immigarnt 'O' visa for being married to a Thai national, no financials required available from Savvankhet in Laos

5 minutes ago, steve187 said:

or for a 1 year multi entry non immigarnt 'O' visa for being married to a Thai national, no financials required available from Savvankhet in Laos

This allows 90 days, with border runs required to get a fresh 90 days.

23 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

1.) 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account. 

2.) An income of 40,000 baht per month (before or after home country takes their cut in taxes). 

3.) A combination of the two adding up to a yearly income of 400,000. 

1. The 400k baht only needs to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension. 

2. The 40k baht is proven by a income letter from your embassy, It can be gross income prior to any deductions.

3. A combination of income and money in the bank is not allowed for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

14 hours ago, WinterGael said:

The 400,000 is doable but leaves nothing for emergencies on a yearly basis. 

It needs to be in the bank for 2 months prior to applying for the extension of stay based on marriage (not a visa). Aside from during that two month period you can draw down the balance for living expenses or emergencies ... until two months before the next extension of stay application when it would need to be topped up.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

It needs to be in the bank for 2 months prior to applying for the extension of stay based on marriage (not a visa). Aside from during that two month period you can draw down the balance for living expenses or emergencies ... until two months before the next extension of stay application when it would need to be topped up.

3 months before you renew the extension.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

400000 is pretty much my life savings after a disastrous marriage to my Canadian wife.  Now there was a money grabber ... 

40000 a month was looking great.  My disability payments were well overy that until the Canadian dollar tanked.  At today's rate, it's now barely over the 40000 baht limit.

What is going on with the baht. ???

15 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

Thanks everyone.

400000 is pretty much my life savings after a disastrous marriage to my Canadian wife.  Now there was a money grabber ... 

40000 a month was looking great.  My disability payments were well overy that until the Canadian dollar tanked.  At today's rate, it's now barely over the 40000 baht limit.

Nothing wrong with the baht. Thailand has loads of reserves and hardly any debt and an economy that is going a long at nearly 4% a year growth.

It's other countries that have the problem. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

You should still use the 40k baht option. As long as you your income is over 40k baht on the date you apply for the extension. The Canadian dollar has lost it value over the last 5 months at about the same percentage as the US dollar.  I don't think it will go much lower than it is now.

According to the police order it is an average annual income. If you had a problem and could show that it was higher during the past year that should be accepted.

From the police order.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average
annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month"

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is gross income before any deductions are taken out. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

Thanks everyone.

The Thai central banks are for the time being maintaining the Thai Baht at an artificially low level. If at the same time, your back home bank is maintaining it's currency at an artificially high level (like mine) then things get precarious. My plan B would have to be border runs to Savanaket as I am down to ฿43 000 at present.

1 hour ago, ancharee said:

3 months before you renew the extension.

Two months for extensions based on marriage.

Three months for extensions based on retirement (except for the first extension based on retirement, which may or may not be two months depending on the office).

The O/P is planning on an extension based on marriage.

41 minutes ago, cooked said:

The Thai central banks are for the time being maintaining the Thai Baht at an artificially low level.

The Thai Central Bank has very little control over the exchange rate for the baht and it is currently high, not low, against other currencies, i.e., it costs more dollars to buy the same amount of baht than it has in the recent past. 

Even central banks in major economies have very little direct control over exchange rates unless they actually mandate a rate of exchange. Even mandated rates often produce a black market rate that is controlled by the market.

Otherwise the rates are controlled by financial markets as they react to numerous factors well beyond the effective control of central banks. Even massive attempts at intervention rarely have more than a short term effect.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I have friends who have Marriage Visas.

OK if you don't mind regular visits from Immigration to see if you're still married, have your house photographed ,are you still living there..

Why not try one of the Visa 'shops' for a retirement Visa. ''No capital, no income ,no problem...give us a call''      !!!!!!

Edited by Humpy

46 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

The Thai Central Bank has very little control over the exchange rate for the baht and it is currently high, not low, against other currencies, i.e., it costs more dollars to buy the same amount of baht than it has in the recent past. 

Even central banks in major economies have very little direct control over exchange rates unless they actually mandate a rate of exchange. Even mandated rates often produce a black market rate that is controlled by the market.

Otherwise the rates are controlled by financial markets as they react to numerous factors well beyond the effective control of central banks. Even massive attempts at intervention rarely have more than a short term effect.

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/featured/6497-baht-exchange-rate-a-growing-concern.html

The exchange rate will be rising or sinkling depending on whether you;re buying or selling. I get less Baht for my home currency than I did a few years ago so for me, it is low.

32 minutes ago, Humpy said:

I have friends who have Marriage Visas.

OK if you don't mind regular visits from Immigration to see if you're still married, have your house photographed ,are you still living there..

Why not try one of the Visa 'shops' for a retirement Visa. ''No capital, no income ,no problem...give us a call''      !!!!!!

I am on my 10th extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage and have never had a home visit. 

Perhaps the OP is not eligible for an extension based upon retirement if is not 50 or over.

46 minutes ago, cooked said:

I get less Baht for my home currency than I did a few years ago so for me, it is low.

No, the home currency you're using is low. The baht is more expensive relatively speaking. You get less of something for the same amount of money if the price is higher.

You don't say the price of something is low if it costs you more than before.

You certainly can't say that the price is being kept low.

Edited by Suradit69

4 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Thanks everyone.

yes, I have been asking the same question, the Australian dollar is taking a bashing also, the Thai gov. should have devalued the Baht months ago.