Serious Accident

baz69er

33 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

You are very right that "we are not living at the same level". Next time you are traveling around, look up (very far up) and you might see me (if you have good eyesight) far above the muck in which you wallow....

Little boy feels so ashamed to have  nothing smart to say, don't worry, I understand that nobody likes to be wrong, even if many are since they are born until they die.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, baz69er said:

Thai helmets meet absolutely no standards anywhere in the world. There are no standards in Thailand and no way to test to other standards. If Thai helmets could be tested, they would not pass either US or EU testing.

Some of the Thai (REAL and INDEX) helmets are TIS approved, all the imported ones that are Snell/DOT/ECE approved whilst obviously are a better Helmet but are they legal in Thailand without TIS approval ?

20 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Some of the Thai (REAL and INDEX) helmets are TIS approved, all the imported ones that are Snell/DOT/ECE approved whilst obviously are a better Helmet but are they legal in Thailand without TIS approval ?

Thanks for the info, I never knew about TIS approved helmets in Thailand, I know that Real & also Index helmets are a much better option compared to the helmets that are supplied with most bike rentals & would probably give you some protection in a minor accident, I bought a couple of helmets from the UK that have a Sharp test rating (Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme)  I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but to be honest, if the TIS testing is anything to go by the tests that you have to do to get a Thai Car or Bike licence then the least of my worries is whether Snell, DOT or ECE helmets are legal in Thailand, but anyway any helmet is better than no helmet......

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

They probably would get something from rich Thais. They'd get from insurance too. Why wouldn't they?

Agree, I knew one lady who was knocked down by a very rich Thai motorist, who was at fault, resulting in her not being able to work for 6months. The  generous Thai agreed to give her 5,000 Baht.

4 hours ago, Fat Prophet said:

How ridiculous is your comment and your complete lack of understanding of the law and the issues involved. You have insurance -- that's great! Your insurance has liability limits -- look at your policy. Your policy's liability limits are between you and your insurance company and have nothing to do as regards to your liability to a third party that gets injured/killed due to your negligence, carelessness or fault.  That liability, if the accident is your fault, will be assessed based on the injury and loss to the injured party and damage to property as determined by the police (or a court in Thailand if it goes that far), which may be many times greater than the limits set on the insurer's liability under your insurance policy.  Your insurer will pay to the injured person the maximum amount for which it is liable under the policy. YOU (Y-O-U!) will be liable for the additional/excess amount of the injury/damage that YOU caused.

And to compound the problem, the limit on personal injury liability under almost all (all that I have looked at) insurance policies in Thailand ("1st class insurance") is B300,000 (or less) per individual per accident, an incredibly small amount and an amount that could be easily exceeded by a relatively minor accident that puts the injured person in the hospital for a few weeks and out of work for 2+ months. And to avoid all of the frustration and problems associated with a protracted court proceeding, including lawyers' fees which could be as much or more than the amount paid to the injured person, many thoughtful people (obviously, not you) negotiate a settlement with the injured person to get the matter resolved amicably and quickly. And that settlement may mean that the person uninjured (whether clearly at fault or not) compensates the injured person or his/her family to resolve the matter.  Provided that care is taken in the process, it may be/often is the best way for everyone to resolve quickly and efficiently an unpleasant and difficult situation and move on with their lives, notwithstanding that it is "ridiculous" to you. Your insurance will, no doubt "do its job" up to its policy limits, but I seriously doubt that you are capable of doing yours. Next.......... 

How long have you lived in Thailand? I ask this as I’ve known of many instances, that don’t match your ideal.

And secoundly, why if you are not to blame for the accident, should you be expected to pay anything out of your own pocket, to the person at fault.

And if you were to be involved in an accident,in say the U.K  would you also pay the other motorist or pedestrian out of your own pocket.

Thai helmets meet absolutely no standards anywhere in the world. There are no standards in Thailand and no way to test to other standards. If Thai helmets could be tested, they would not pass either US or EU testing.
Not all helmets made here are terrible. Real make DOT standard helmets.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 10:37 AM, baz69er said:

Thank you for your reply & I agree with what you have said, he was told that there is CCTV where the accident happened but has yet to be contacted regarding this.

Did he not have CCTV of his own?

(Dashcam)

Archived