Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

11 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

Where was it posted that lawyers were flying to Thailand? I’ve been following the story fairly closely and reading their FB and GFM posts and only recall seeing that they would have a US lawyer and a Thai lawyer. Not that a US lawyer would fly to Thailand. 

Amycat posted it somewhere in this thread

19 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

People tend to use the word jail and prison interchangeably. If one is arrested one can definitely go to jail pending a court appearance and then be released on bail.  

There was also info about the transfer between police and the Chiang Mai courts that is not something a backpacker would normally know about. 

Here are three examples of what usually happens when someone gets caught with fake money.

Would the story be true, you'd at least read an article in Bangkok Post, or on Thai PBS/. 

The third link is about a woman who got caught when she wanted to buy something with a fake 1,000 baht note. 

What sort of information was there between police and the Chiang Mai court that a backpacker wouldn't know about it?

Would there be proof that the story is true, nobody would even think that the story isn't true.

I believe that all these three stories ( see links) are true, guess why?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/indian-man-arrested-trying-exchange-fake-us-dollars/

http://thairesidents.com/local/iranians-held-fake-us-dollars-pattaya/

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/woman-arrested-shopping-counterfeit-money/

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

There was also info about the transfer between police and the Chiang Mai courts that is not something a backpacker would normally know about. 

Everyone in every Country in the world knows that if the police arrest you, you get taken to Court

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

So, there is a certain amount of deception going on, its just a matter of how much deception there is

Seriously, thank you for that I would have had no idea.

They look like such nice girls.

Edited by bkk6060

On 3/17/2018 at 10:55 PM, Makara said:

There is a court date. They are facing their punishment. Don't ask me for proof. This is a public forum and it is none of anyones business the exact date they go to court. 

Makara : Three days ago you quite clearly stated that a Court case date had been set .  You claimed that there has been a Court case  date set , but you would not tell us the exact date

4 hours ago, Makara said:

Their passports have been confiscated and held. They have to check back every 12 days until the investigation is over and they go to court.

...and today, you dont seem quite sure and you are now saying that there hasnt actually been a Court date set .

Quite a contradiction there 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Makara : Three days ago you quite clearly stated that a Court case date had been set .  You claimed that there has been a Court case  date set , but you would not tell us the exact date

Were both trying to exchange the fake bucks? Why would both have tried to exchange money they must have known it was fake? One is working as a bartender, so she should have known the difference. 

Or were both in the procession of fake money? 

Mysterious. 

6 hours ago, Makara said:

Thailand. Literally read back for yourself.

Their passports have been confiscated and held. They have to check back every 12 days until the investigation is over and they go to court.

Which seems that the authorities will postpone and drag out the process on purpose--and have done so.

Do they have to check back every 12 days, or is the GFM page not telling the truth? You wrote this post 6 hours ago and you're the friend of one woman?

< They are currently being transffered to a women's facility in Chaing Mai Thailand. Their Court date is Set for Monday, Febuary 26th , which is Sunday afternoon our time.>

https://www.gofundme.com/release-misty-and-dannielle-fund

Perhaps the prison?:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293917-d1158865-Reviews-Chiang_Mai_Women_s_Correctional_Institution-Chiang_Mai.html

Edited by jenny2017

17 hours ago, Makara said:

..... I came on here and started commenting back at the 30-something page ...

why are you doing this?

this is a forum for grumpy old expats with nothing better to do all day

than argue on the internets.  there is no way their comments here could

have affected the fundraisers if as claimed it was targeted at close friends

and family rather than the general public.

and these grumpy old expats have a rather short attention span.  this

thread would have died a natural death long, long ago out of boredom

seeing as there is no new information to argue about.

you have single-handedly kept this alive for fifty pages.  if you stop,

everyone will lose interest and go on to the next interesting story,

like the big-leg man's honeymoon in gambia.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Henrik Andersen said:

555 grumpy old expats you are very wrong dude 

I not old and grumpy and expat 

And I will follow this story to the end and surely I will be with the court house on Monday 26 but I not sure they will 

Are you sure that you want to watch the movie?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why are you doing this?

this is a forum for grumpy old expats with nothing better to do all day

than argue on the internets.  there is no way their comments here could

have affected the fundraisers if as claimed it was targeted at close friends

and family rather than the general public.

Some TV posters also posted on their GFM page and linked this thread on their GFM page .

That is a "way", so, you were wrong about there being "no way"

8 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

555 grumpy old expats you are very wrong dude 

I not old and grumpy and expat 

And I will follow this story to the end and surely I will be with the court house on Monday 26 but I not sure they will 

The date was in February

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Some TV posters also posted on their GFM page and linked this thread on their GFM page .

That is a "way", so, you were wrong about there being "no way"

okay, sure.  delete it and forget it is best way to handle it.

argue with the GFM trolls for 50 pages?  not the best way.

12 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

okay, sure.  delete it and forget it is best way to handle it.

argue with the GFM trolls for 50 pages?  not the best way.

Are you sure that you are aware of the reason why we have discussion forums ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Please sanemax go down to the courts and ask them why they would make a court date then cancel it prolonging the process. I have an inclination as to why, but you should know why as well since YOU LIVE THERE. 

Edited by Makara

54 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Do they have to check back every 12 days, or is the GFM page not telling the truth? You wrote this post 6 hours ago and you're the friend of one woman?

< They are currently being transffered to a women's facility in Chaing Mai Thailand. Their Court date is Set for Monday, Febuary 26th , which is Sunday afternoon our time.>

https://www.gofundme.com/release-misty-and-dannielle-fund

Perhaps the prison?:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293917-d1158865-Reviews-Chiang_Mai_Women_s_Correctional_Institution-Chiang_Mai.html

Catch up. They have been out on bail since intially going to jail.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Makara said:

Please sanemax and go down to the courts and ask them why they would make a court date then cancel it prolonging the process. I have an inclination as to why, but you should know why as well since YOU LIVE THERE. 

I have no idea as to why they would cancel a Court date , you will have to tell me.

When was the Court case scheduled for, who cancelled it and for what reason ? 

25 minutes ago, Makara said:

Catch up. They have been out on bail since intially going to jail.

That’s fair, thanks. My apologies when you feel criticized, but there’re a few points that don’t make sense to the whole story. If the one woman’s bf can’t decide if the fake money was found in Cambodia, or on a road in Chiang Mai/Thailand, it’s, of course, raising several questions about the truth of it.

Considering that so many people who were/are using GFM as a tool to pay for a nice holiday, or to buy a new car, it’s perhaps understandable when some people would like to know some more details of the story.

Thailand is a country where almost everything illegal, done by foreigners, is being reported in media such as Bangkok Post, PBS, on TV or by other sources.

Unfortunately, are the only news about the incident from the guy in California who seems to have started the GFM page. How else can you explain that the Thai news didn’t pick up on a story that’s worth it? ( From a Thai perspective)

If your friend was really arrested, it would have helped a lot more to come up with more details, many posters of TVF live in the northern part of Thailand and the news is always full with crimes, accidents, overstays, etc.. done by foreigners. In other words, some posters might have connections to police stations, know a decent lawyer, etc..

I think that you’re genuine and an honest person, perhaps there’s something they don’t want you to know. Hang in there. Best of luck!:wai:

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I have no idea as to why they would cancel a Court date , you will have to tell me.

When was the Court case scheduled for, who cancelled it and for what reason ? 

I am not giving you or this forum any personal info and heck if I know the person who cancelled it. It is my understanding that this is what they do with foreign cases. They set dates, cancel them, set them, cancel them and draw out the process as long as possible to apply stress and pressure on the accused. They can prolong this process a very long time is what I have been told by more than a few people who have experience with Thailand and I know personally from there. Why this process is news to you makes no sense to me, but ok. I was hopeful for my friend and now I realize that this will be a cat and mouse game that could last a long time and cost them at the very least what they raised. I pray that it doesn't have harsh prison sentences, because in the scheme of things this is not a crime to go down in the books.

4 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

That’s fair, thanks. My apologies when you feel criticized, but there’re a few points that don’t make sense to the whole story. If the one woman’s bf can’t decide if the fake money was found in Cambodia, or on a road in Chiang Mai/Thailand, it’s, of course, raising several questions about the truth of it.

Considering that so many people who were/are using GFM as a tool to pay for a nice holiday, or to buy a new car, it’s perhaps understandable when some people would like to know some more details of the story.

Thailand is a country where almost everything illegal, done by foreigners, is being reported in media such as Bangkok Post, PBS, on TV or by other sources.

Unfortunately, are the only news about the incident from the guy in California who seems to have started the GFM page. How else can you explain that the Thai news didn’t pick up on a story that’s worth it? ( From a Thai perspective)

If your friend was really arrested, it would have helped a lot more to come up with more details, many posters of TVF live in the northern part of Thailand and the news is always full with crimes, accidents, overstays, etc.. done by foreigners. In other words, some posters might have connections to police stations, know a decent lawyer, etc..

I think that you’re genuine and an honest person, perhaps there’s something they don’t want you to know. Hang in there. Best of luck!:wai:

Thank you for this post! It is appreciated!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Makara said:

I am not giving you or this forum any personal info and heck if I know the person who cancelled it. It is my understanding that this is what they do with foreign cases. They set dates, cancel them, set them, cancel them and draw out the process as long as possible to apply stress and pressure on the accused. They can prolong this process a very long time is what I have been told by more than a few people who have experience with Thailand and I know personally from there. Why this process is news to you makes no sense to me, but ok. I was hopeful for my friend and now I realize that this will be a cat and mouse game that could last a long time and cost them at the very least what they raised. I pray that it doesn't have harsh prison sentences, because in the scheme of things this is not a crime to go down in the books.

I do also have the feeling that this case will drag on for a very long time and more money will have to be raised to support the girls

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Makara said:

Thank you for this post! It is appreciated!

You're welcome. What I don't understand is the imprisonment of both women? Were both arrested because they're trying to exchange fake bucks, or was one "only" in possession of fake money?

Considering that one is a bartender, they must have known that it wasn't pure luck to find cash on the road. When two people try something at the same time, which is highly criminal, not only in Thailand, is beyond my imagination...........

15 minutes ago, smx1313 said:

I think it's been pretty well acknowledged that at the beginning there was a lot of confusion re: communication, charges, locations, $ needed, exchange rates, time difference.

Some people took upon themselves to create fundraising websites, events and petitions based on that initial craziness. Since then it's all pretty much settled down.

I think to cherry pick inconsistencies from the 1st week is just prolonging the online bickering like picking at a scab.

I think to you those initial inconsistencies are proof a scam. To me it seem logical. I've seen it happen where I live, where everybody spoke the same language and was in the same time zone.

Has it been 12 days since the 1st court appearance? What are the results of that? What specifically are the charges? Those (to me) are interesting questions.

What's not even clear is if both were caught trying to exchange the counterfeit money, or was only one woman caught?

Wouldn't even the dumbest criminal first check with one bill to make sure that a friend is outside to help if something goes wrong?

The story seems to be like a rotten steak that just went through some Formalin. 

Edited by jenny2017

9 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

What's not even clear is if both were caught trying to exchange the counterfeit money, or was only one woman caught?

Wouldn't even the dumbest criminal first check with one bill to make sure that a friend is outside to help if something goes wrong?

When I have time I will answer your question on my lunch break. I am at work currently.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Both found the money in Cambodia backpacking out in a remote area. Split money. Both went to exchange one bill. Found it was fake and tourist police were called. Money confiscated. Both arrested. In jail for 2 days. This is when the significant others started posting and set up gofundme and this is when the misinformation started due to lack of communication while in jail.

They paid bail from their own and only money. They have to check back every 12 days. The proceedings have been prolonged and court canceled. To my understanding the authorities can have them check back, up to 84 days, every 12 days while investigation happens. And even after the 84 days they can prolong it more is what I have been told. They can basically do what they see fit to do.

As why it is not in media:

All in my humble opinion and information I have gathered from people who have experience with this...First off I feel that it all has to do with payoffs and money. Secondly I feel that info will not be released until investigation is over. I have also been told not everything is in the media when incidents like this happen. Depends on the depth of crime. 

They are facing 1 to 15 years in prison and or heavy fines and banned. I feel they will prolong it as long as possible. They cannot leave and do not have passports while this process is happening. They are following all the rules and doing all they can to comply to everything that has been asked of them. 

• Haha 1

The fact of the matter is, that by not handing the money in to the authorities, they assumed ownership of it and that is theft.  I have no sympathy, especially as the whole story is completely implausible in the first case.

25 minutes ago, Makara said:

Both found the money in Cambodia backpacking out in a remote area. Split money. Both went to exchange one bill. Found it was fake and tourist police were called. Money confiscated. Both arrested. In jail for 2 days. This is when the significant others started posting and set up gofundme and this is when the misinformation started due to lack of communication while in jail.

They paid bail from their own and only money. They have to check back every 12 days. The proceedings have been prolonged and court canceled. To my understanding the authorities can have them check back, up to 84 days, every 12 days while investigation happens. And even after the 84 days they can prolong it more is what I have been told. They can basically do what they see fit to do.

As why it is not in media:

All in my humble opinion and information I have gathered from people who have experience with this...First off I feel that it all has to do with payoffs and money. Secondly I feel that info will not be released until investigation is over. I have also been told not everything is in the media when incidents like this happen. Depends on the depth of crime. 

They are facing 1 to 15 years in prison and or heavy fines and banned. I feel they will prolong it as long as possible. They cannot leave and do not have passports while this process is happening. They are following all the rules and doing all they can to comply to everything that has been asked of them. 

Thanks a lot for the update, I knew that you’re a good human being, but I’m not so sure about your friends. If that’s true, they should receive the first award in human stupidity, signed by a high Mafiosi from Italy.

Imagine, they both knew of the artificial money, but both decided to give it a go and both exchanged one bill at the same time? That beats everything that I’ve yet heard about dumb criminals. Sorry, not wanting to hurt you.

Another part I was wondering and actually waiting for to hear. Let’s say Mrs. X and Miss Y are planning such a coup, but get caught. They were lucky enough that they could stay outside for a while.

You don’t have to be a genius, but with the help of the internet it would be so easy to find “green borders” to Mae Sot and you’d be in Myanmar, within a blink of an eye.

No passport would you think will be a problem? Well, a trip to the American embassy and out of the country, even with a stopover in Bangkok. They can’t come back anyway, the way I see it.

I don’t say that I would flee, but I know somebody who did. And if I’d look at 10 years of a Thai prison, I might stop praying too. Have a good one. Cheers.