Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

11 minutes ago, amykat said:

They don't give you a card with the address of the jail  and a phone for you to call your friends with when you first arrive do they???

They do, they let you make one personal telephone call and they also ask you whether you  want them to inform your Embassy .

There is also no communication problem, because the Thai Police speak good enough English and they also assign you a Tourist Police, usually a westerner, to help with any communication problems . 

There is also an English speaking Lawyer available in Court, should you require their services

Edited by sanemax

1 minute ago, amykat said:

I don't want to say things that I can get in trouble for. But there are things that go on here, well past that. I don't know why the media hasn't reported it, maybe they are busy?  Or maybe not.  However, I know for a fact, in a detailed way and so do many others, that things go on, well beyond what you are speaking of. 

Stop being so vague , what things go on here, that you dont want to talk about ?

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They do, they let you make one personal telephone call and they also ask you whether they want you to inform your Embassy .

There is also no communication problem, because the Thai Police speak good enough English and they also assign you a Tourist Police, usually a westerner, to help with any communication problems . 

There is also an English speaking Lawyer available in Court, should you require their services

I'm sorry, I guess I should have said, the prison, not when you first get arrested, when you are being processed into prison.

1 minute ago, amykat said:

I'm sorry, I guess I should have said, the prison, not when you first get arrested, when you are being processed into prison.

Listen, you dont go from the Police station to the prison.

Police station > Court > Prison/free/bail

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Translate what? Translating an address doesn't make any sense and just results in a wrong location.

Something interesting:

I messaged the Citrus Heights Police Department regarding the picture of the woman with the guy and the guy they were looking for in the case of counterfeit money and they even replied quite quickly. They didn't tell much, but they told me that the guy on the picture is not related with the woman (so he is not her father). It actually surprised me that they tell me this. I would have expected a simple "Thank you, we will have a look at it" and that's it.

He may not be her Father, but, is it the same guy in the photo ?

Is the Man who is wanted for passing off fake dollar bills in the USA the same man in her photo on FB ?

Is there a connection ?

34 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Listen, you dont go from the Police station to the prison.

Police station > Court > Prison/free/bail

Many people go from the police station straight to prison, The court isn't open in the evening, or on weekend and it takes a while to go to court, they must be pretty busy.

Edited by jenny2017
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2018 at 10:59 AM, overherebc said:

If they're both such goody two shoes why didn't they hand it in?

Just askin'

Seriously?  Where would they turn in the money they found? I see, so they turn it into the local police.  I'm sure that money would find its way to the rightful owner.  Uh huh.

Before I would have done anything with it, I would have examined it closely.  There are hundreds of videos that explain how to check a bill to be authentic.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moosobay said:

I think people are overestimating what these two American women are capable of. Traveling with low funds on a meditation-type of journey across the world. They're modern day American hippies. The likelihood of them masterminding an entire counterfeit bill business is probably not near as likely as it is that they actually found money. 

The lawyer argument is interesting. Would their best bet be to hire an American lawyer to travel overseas? If thats the case they may very well be looking at anywhere from 30,000-90,000 just for lawyer fees. 

a lawyer from the USA cant just come to Thailand and practice law. 

• Like 1

I think people are overestimating what these two American women are capable of. Traveling with low funds on a meditation-type of journey across the world. They're modern day American hippies. The likelihood of them masterminding an entire counterfeit bill business is probably not near as likely as it is that they actually found money. 

yes, that sums it up nicely

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

If the Courts are not open, they keep you in the Police station cells until the Courts open

there is an article in the "mountain democrat" (placerville, ca)

" The two women are currently out of jail after posting bail Monday. "

" As of Monday they had their passports confiscated and are staying at a hostel until their trial next month. "

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

The lawyer argument is interesting. Would their best bet be to hire an American lawyer to travel overseas? If thats the case they may very well be looking at anywhere from 30,000-90,000 just for lawyer fees. 

On the other hand is this all masterminded by others who have done all of this before, experienced in creating false scenarios, using these two girls (both possibly lacking in morals and ethics) as the vehicle to create the false scenario, then pull gofundme and two similar set ups into the scam, all aimed at one thing - get lots of naive people to give quite large amounts of money.  

Edited by scorecard

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

I wonder if 'gofundme' and similar organizations actually check anything before allowing their site to be used to ask for contributions - cash?  Anybody know about this?

From what I can find it seems the 'gofundme' organization takes 3.9% of the contributions raised, this needs further checking.  3.9%, if that's true, of every 'event' is a sizeable amount of money.

Checking the 'gofundme' site I discovered it's basically impossible to talk to the actual organization, no phone number and I can't find an e.mail address to message them.

Strange stuff.

Different point, has anybody found any mention of the rtp being actively / officially involved in any way with this cae?

In addition GoFundMe are actively deleting any post that questions the story being given. That's why no comments for the past 15 hours.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

The attorneys that get paid the most are the prosecutors, not the defense attorneys. Defense attorneys can't make charges go away despite their clients innocence. Prosecutors can make charges go away despite the accused's guilt.

I don't think you really understand the system here.

If they need $50k to get out - it is most likely a done deal and the $50k is obviously not lawyer fees. I

Just saying how the money gets split up is illegal here.

But it very much depends on how far the case has gone. The further it goes, the more the pie gets split...  That means both further through the system and further publicity-wise.

Edited by pedro01

55 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

If they need $50k to get out - it is most likely a done deal and the $50k is obviously not lawyer fees. I

But it very much depends on how far the case has gone. The further it goes, the more the pie gets split...  That means both further through the system and further publicity-wise.

But there is still the question mark whether the rtp are or ever have been involved. 

3 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I think I have a pretty good idea of how the system works. If charges are not brought the police split the money to have made it go away. If charges are brought the prosecutor gets the money to make it go away.  They both live in homes much nicer than their paychecks would allow for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

He may not be her Father, but, is it the same guy in the photo ?

Is the Man who is wanted for passing off fake dollar bills in the USA the same man in her photo on FB ?

Is there a connection ?

I don't know and probably they don't know for sure either. Everybody will agree that they look similar, but the picture from the cctv is not really clear, so if they are the same person...

I think they probably looked up the woman in their System, then they also know who her father is and can see a picture of him from his ID card or driving license. And probably this didn't match the guy on Facebook, so it was easy for them to know that it's not the same person.

Edited by jackdd

6 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

there is an article in the "mountain democrat" (placerville, ca)

" The two women are currently out of jail after posting bail Monday. "

" As of Monday they had their passports confiscated and are staying at a hostel until their trial next month. "

The question is, where did the Mountain Democrat get their info from?

As I have stated already, every single article I have read in the media have just been quoting out of Facebook, I've not seen anything where is says the RTP quotes this etc.

IF and it really is a big if IMHO they were arrested as per their story, then the fact that the BIB are not showing them off, doing a reenactment etc. etc. as per normal, would point that they have been paid off already.

Two young American girls arrested in CM would be fairly big news for the local rags in CM and yet nothing concrete at all has been reported by any newspaper.

• Like 1

At whoever is posting on their Facebook that the whole thing is a fake:

As mentioned before we still have no proof of this, and of course their friends on Facebook believe their story and don't listen to some random guy from Thaivisa, so you can really stop posting this there ;)

Perhaps an explanation regarding the incorrect location of their detention centre could be from a search engine used.

Using Google as a possible search for "Chiang Mai Womens Prison" returns 1.8 million results.

If not paying attention to the left hand results, and focussing on the right hand result, and unknowingly assuming the restaurant, shop and massage centre are part of a current complex gives it a location across the road the from the old prison.

CMWP.png.0aa2bfd78a9e22a74b1f95262f780330.png

However, a search for "Chiang Mai Women's Prison" returns 162K results and shows the actual prison on highway 107 heading North in addition to the restaurant, shop and massage centre in the old city.

And people bitch about "grammar police". :wai:

Perhaps an explanation regarding the incorrect location of their detention centre could be from a search engine used.

Using Google as a possible search for "Chiang Mai Womens Prison" returns 1.8 million results.

If not paying attention to the left hand results, and focussing on the right hand result, and unknowingly assuming the restaurant, shop and massage centre are part of a current complex gives it a location across the road the from the old prison.

CMWP.png.0aa2bfd78a9e22a74b1f95262f780330.png&key=a816e309ef25edd87d8a9367d05e33aca7debc3351192b0e4b615b2d550ebe79

However, a search for "Chiang Mai Women's Prison" returns 162K results and shows the actual prison on highway 107 heading North in addition to the restaurant, shop and massage centre in the old city.

It actually calls it 'Correctional' I tried using 'prison ' and got the massage centre etc.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

39 minutes ago, jackdd said:

At whoever is posting on their Facebook that the whole thing is a fake:

As mentioned before we still have no proof of this, and of course their friends on Facebook believe their story and don't listen to some random guy from Thaivisa, so you can really stop posting this there ;)

Always good to hear differing viewpoints before drawing conclusions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, roo860 said:

It actually calls it 'Correctional' I tried using 'prison ' and got the massage centre etc.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My example Google searches used Chiang Mai Womens Prison & Chaing Mai Women's Prison, what a difference an apostrophe makes.

Wouldn't even think to use the term Correctional in a search as I'd be expecting a sordid BDSM establishment returning 3.7 million hits. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

If the Courts are not open, they keep you in the Police station cells until the Courts open

Not always.

They do transfer to the prisons in many cases, where you can wait for your bail hearing.

Typically you'll wait in the jail, but I have seen a few cases where they had to wait in prison (Klong Prehm) BKK

Idk about Chaing Mai

Edited by Salengrider

1 hour ago, Paul Catton said:

CMWP.png.0aa2bfd78a9e22a74b1f95262f780330.png

Yes, my point was that he just used a search engine to get the address .

I would have though that he would have been given the correct address by either her or the Embassy or the police and he would have then published that address.

57 minutes ago, Salengrider said:

Not always.

They do transfer to the prisons in many cases, where you can wait for your bail hearing.

Typically you'll wait in the jail, but I have seen a few cases where they had to wait in prison (Klong Prehm) BKK

Idk about Chaing Mai

No, the maximum time that the Thai Police can keep you held is 48 hours and they are held at a Police station whilst being investigated .

After 48 hours , the Police either have to Charge you or free you .

If you get charged and taken to Court , you may then get remanded in prison to await your Court case OR given bail or sentenced there and then .

You do not get held in prison without the Court sending you there