Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

I wonder if many people snap to the correlation between getting a cheap lawyer, and the results we often read about in horrific detail.  Our corporate Thai guy charges $500 an hour and has saved us many multiples of that.  And he steers us to a cheaper firm when we don't need that kind of service.

I got talking to a thai lawyer the other day while taking my kids to the local bouncy castle, he gets paid 40-50k THB per job regardless of how many times he went to court. Granted they would probably need somebody a bit better than that but i doubt they need somebody from the upper echelons of the thai lawyer community for this. The payment amounts you talk about are probably for tax evasion, murders etc.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, elektrified said:

You are clueless! A good lawyer charges much, much more. A friend was in a serious legal situation a few years ago and his legal fees were well over one million Baht. There were about 3-4 lawyers working on the case and many appearances required. A potential 12 year prison term is not the same as a real estate deal!

They won't need a team of 3-4 lawyers. This is a simple criminal case that doesn't involve complex investigation by the court and preparation of evidence.

19 minutes ago, elektrified said:

You are clueless! A good lawyer charges much, much more. A friend was in a serious legal situation a few years ago and his legal fees were well over one million Baht. There were about 3-4 lawyers working on the case and many appearances required. A potential 12 year prison term is not the same as a real estate deal!

Who exactly is clueless? I mean, I only work for a lawyer. I only do criminal law, not Real Estate or divorces. I only visit prisons multiple times a week and have been doing this for ten years.

I know what the case is worth, and I know there are many lawyers out there who will happily rip them off for as much as they can get.

The lawyer I work for, who just happens to be the Chairman of the Chonburi Lawyers Association, and who rarely loses  a case, would charge them exactly in the bracket I quoted.

So, I have to disagree with your assessment. A good lawyer does not necessarily charge millions.

In ten years I have seen many cases, some very complicated and time consuming. None ever reached a million Baht in fees, or remotely close. I hate to say it, but I suspect your friend was overcharged.

Of course, if you feel these two upstanding ladies should find the most expensive lawyer in the Kingdom, go ahead and fund them.

4 minutes ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Someone should suggest to them that they  also need to keep their Immigration "permission to stay" paperwork up to date.  Being under a court order is one of the reasons for an extension.

Mac

Which seems to be their smallest problems now. 

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

$50,000 for an attorney? Seriously? That is about 1.6 Million baht.

A decent lawyer should cost no more than 2-300,000 for the pair of them.

What is the rest for? A fat luxurious holiday while they wait for the court case?

That's not true. Good lawyers in Thailand are 8000thb an hour. And bail is doubled for foriegners. They have very little chance of winning this case tho. Its the sane as getting caught with drugs. Maybe worse.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Are they kidding,  they are raising money for something that these girls allegedly did that was highly illegal    !!!    absolutely absurd    !!  

no money for wrong doers  !!  imo:shock1:

And there are two 'gofundme' type operations involved both getting donations from naive donors.

These girls and the fund organizers are just scammers, thieves.

These girls did the wrong thing by not handing in the money they found.

They are not destitute, have no roof over their heads and haven't eaten for days and no resources whatever. How come no help from family? Did they come to Thailand with no funds at home to get on with life when they returned from their 'holiday'?

It would be interesting see if they have any previous police record or any past involvement with negative things.

This double 'gofundme' action is nothing more than theft of money from naive people. 

10 minutes ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Someone should suggest to them that they  also need to keep their Immigration "permission to stay" paperwork up to date.  Being under a court order is one of the reasons for an extension.

Mac

The article said the police have their passports--so, even if they are out on bail, I don't know how they would accomplish this.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Then , assuming the money is not fake, what would be the right thing to do ?

Just asking..:sleep:

Give it to charity. According to their gofundme page these two are the epitome of light and goodness, basically earth-bound angels.

10 minutes ago, Trojan 27 said:

That's not true. Good lawyers in Thailand are 8000thb an hour. And bail is doubled for foriegners. They have very little chance of winning this case tho. Its the sane as getting caught with drugs. Maybe worse.

I refer you to my post number 38, that is just three above yours. Being bluntly honest, your post contains 6 points. Every single one is inaccurate to some degree or other.

If you wish to post here I suggest you research what you are writing about before writing rubbish.

1. The fee I quoted is bang on the money.

2. Good lawyers do not necessarily charge silly money, as you would know if you worked for one.

3. Bail in some cases, may be higher for foreigners, but double? Where did you get that from?

4. You have not seen the evidence in the case, so judging them guilty already is a little hasty.

5. It is nothing like getting caught with drugs that can get you 50 years, life or even the death sentence.

6. I fail to see how 12 years could be worse.

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And there are two 'gofundme' type operations involved both getting donations from naive donors.

These girls and the fund organizers are just scammers, thieves.

These girls did the wrong thing by not handing in the money they found.

They are not destitute, have no roof over their heads and haven't eaten for days and no resources whatever. How come no help from family? Did they come to Thailand with no funds at home to get on with life when they returned from their 'holiday'?

It would be interesting see if they have any previous police record or any past involvement with negative things.

This double 'gofundme' action is nothing more than theft of money from naive people. 

I've posted the two links and hope that all people see them before they donate money. With what money did they come to Thailand? Shouldn't that be a good amount? 

From the gofundme page

INFORMATION:  https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/world/asia/cambodia-qingming-festival-ghosts-prefer-dollars.html

This is the money that they found. Spirit money. They are realistic copies of new $100 USD bills. They bills they had all had "copy" written on them but after finding them in a puddle and them being covered in mud the "copy" was covered. They are facing possible jail time for a complete misunderstanding.

totally reasonable.... not

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Give it to charity. According to their gofundme page these two are the epitome of light and goodness, basically earth-bound angels.

Regarding the article, they are Super angels...

“To anyone who has met these two beautiful girls (you) know what kind of people they are. Each of them embody light,” the Gofund me page states. “They are the most sweet, kindhearted and soulful individuals that I have ever met.”  ( Only good to get some cash donated) 

As of Monday they had their passports confiscated and are staying at a hostel until their trial next month.

A benefit concert will be held at PJ’s Roadhouse where one of the women is employed on March 10. All proceeds will go to the woman’s defense fund.

I'm completely in tears now. 

https://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/two-area-women-held-in-thailand/

8 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Incredible that they have nearly raised $10,000 already! Madness.

This story doesn't add up at all. 

$9,363 in one day and the day isn't over. But that's only one page. 

$9,363 of $50,000 goal the other page has a $ 100,000 goal.

Raised by 116 people in 1 day

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I wouldn't keep it or pick it up.

I'd hand it in if it was a substantial amount.

.. In charity, i guess, well, does that include Bars and damsels in distress ?

..But, that's off topic, i am more curious to understand why everybody here find unbelievable the girl's statement, that the money was found on the pavement.

Although it may sound like a good excuse, i don't see any reason to doubt their innocence.

1 minute ago, norrska said:

Hope they get jail time as a deterrent, although I smell a reality show deal and appearances on Oprah in the future.

When these 2 get out of prison, Oprah will just have completed her second term as POTUS and will be on a world tour promoting her autobiography.

23 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

i am more curious to understand why everybody here find unbelievable the girl's statement, that the money was found on the pavement.

Although it may sound like a good excuse, i don't see any reason to doubt their innocence.

Maybe because as a person that uses USD every day at home it should be quite easy to notice that a dollar bill which is most likely printed on normal paper and has the word copy written on it is not original

And they are never innocent, if they really just found it as they said, they wanted to keep another persons property

Archived