Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

It’s about time that I started to seriously plan my exit strategy, as returning “home” is looming, after a (largely) wonderful decade in the kingdom

so.... methinks it’s time to start penning a lovely bs story for a gofundme page.... ?????

or.... maybe I could fund myself by coming up with a decent gofundme template, to sell to others ????

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OldSiamHand said:

Has there been any actual confirmation of their arrests from the police?

Sometimes wonder if these fund me things are just set up, I find it strange that none of the Thai media are reporting it, the police usually love to gloat in cases like this.

I think it's a setup scam of this nice ladies because as you said nothing from the police and very quickly they have 2 fundraiser Hmmmm I even don't believe they in Thailand I hope someone can verify this story 

33 minutes ago, farcanell said:

It’s about time that I started to seriously plan my exit strategy, as returning “home” is looming, after a (largely) wonderful decade in the kingdom

so.... methinks it’s time to start penning a lovely bs story for a gofundme page.... ?????

or.... maybe I could fund myself by coming up with a decent gofundme template, to sell to others ????

Go for it, seems like people are begging to be scammed.

$50,000 for an attorney? Seriously? That is about 1.6 Million baht.
A decent lawyer should cost no more than 2-300,000 for the pair of them.
What is the rest for? A fat luxurious holiday while they wait for the court case?

They will get screwed by Thai lawyers so 300,000 is peanuts ! The vulture legal profession are ready to pounce

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Definitely does not pass the sniff test. Following the link above the story is that they found the cash in Cambodia and brought it to Thailand, also lists another funding site for US$50,000. Are they hoping to hire an attorney or purchase one?

33 minutes ago, Flying Kiwi said:

So they found the money IN THE STREET wow that was lucky !!

they should have turned it in to the police, who would have

left no stone undisturbed in a valiant effort to find the

rightful owners. 

gosh, they might even have done a dna test......

9 hours ago, Trojan 27 said:

That's not true. Good lawyers in Thailand are 8000thb an hour. And bail is doubled for foriegners. They have very little chance of winning this case tho. Its the sane as getting caught with drugs. Maybe worse.

I agree with you.  The Go fund me page for these girls say bail is $10,000 USD I find that hard to believe.  Unless there is allot more to the story such as the girls did make this notes, then I suspect they will get a small fine 3000-5000 THB and a suspended sentence. 

I think the girls are trying to use this to raise cash and extend their holiday.

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

I agree with you.  The Go fund me page for these girls say bail is $10,000 USD I find that hard to believe.  Unless there is allot more to the story such as the girls did make this notes, then I suspect they will get a small fine 3000-5000 THB and a suspended sentence. 

I think the girls are trying to use this to raise cash and extend their holiday.

This is a scam but go fund me page not say anything about how much for bail but this story changes all the time and have to meny holes 

Where they found this money in Cambodia or Thailand 

Mama comment on go fund me but why she don't have same last name as her daughter 

But they raised 10k already 

How much money they try exchange in Cambodia 

I just don't believe anything of this story try read all comments on this 2 fundraiser site 

They try raise 150k 

I think people are overestimating what these two American women are capable of. Traveling with low funds on a meditation-type of journey across the world. They're modern day American hippies. The likelihood of them masterminding an entire counterfeit bill business is probably not near as likely as it is that they actually found money. 

The lawyer argument is interesting. Would their best bet be to hire an American lawyer to travel overseas? If thats the case they may very well be looking at anywhere from 30,000-90,000 just for lawyer fees. 

So they found $1,000 USD according to their post.  Well now, that is a lot different than stumbling onto some pocket change.  I doubt they were so naïve to not even consider the fact the bills may be fake.   But they should have tried to at least ask if one of the bills was genuine.  Go to a bank, an exchange store whatever, and ask their opinion.  They got greedy and now have a mess on their hands.

10 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

they should have turned it in to the police, who would have

left no stone undisturbed in a valiant effort to find the

rightful owners. 

gosh, they might even have done a dna test......

and a re-enactment with at least 50 cops attending...

A new phase in their lives are opening up for them, not what they had planned,wanted or expected, depending on their amount of open acceptance of the situation it can either be a crippling disaster or a process of humbling maturity. Either way, they will never again complain about the little inconveniences of life in California once they have served time in a Thai prison. 

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

A new phase in their lives are opening up for them, not what they had planned,wanted or expected, depending on their amount of open acceptance of the situation it can either be a crippling disaster or a process of humbling maturity. Either way, they will never again complain about the little inconveniences of life in California once they have served time in a Thai prison. 

and/or they will (along with their friends organizing the go fund me etc., stuff) become regular users of scams to rip off naive people. 

Archived