Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, that's what people think.

And if you want to stop people stop saying it's a scam just do what sanemax suggested.

He said he is in Chiang Mai and would be willing to meet with them.

If sanemax meets them and reports back here with maybe a picture of a paper from the police regarding the arrest, everybody will shut up saying it's maybe a scam.

I can only suggest this and see what they say--I'd much rather find a journalist or someone who writes for the newspaper to follow this up. But what you guys aren't hearing is how incredibly social our circle is, and how close ties we all have with each other in a round about way, and how incredibly difficult this would be for these two women to scam, mostly people they know without burden of proof they were in trouble or in danger. What I am saying to you and you, will know soon enough, that this is not an on line scam. Something has happened to them in Thailand and of their own doing--mistake--stupidity--however you want to put it. If there is no arrest record, perhaps we need to ask why to the thai police, not just them? You want to know if it is a scam--point me in the direction of a good journalist over there, and let's see who is lying?! Let's see if they are in trouble, or this is just some big ole on line scam. To me it sounds so ridiculous. But some of us have different views, we are from different countries, and things are just different. So there's that. Good night. I am way past my bedtime and have to be up very early. Perhaps I will chime in again. Perhaps I can get a lot of answers for you, or perhaps we can just wait and see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Makara said:

You want to know if it is a scam--point me in the direction of a good journalist over there, and let's see who is lying?

Here is the local newspapers e-mail address .

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/contact-us/

And just to keep things in the open, why not post all correspondence on here

Edited by sanemax
To add a comma
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Makara said:

But some of us have different views, we are from different countries, and things are just different

How do you know we are from different countries?

how do you know we have a different believe system?

admittedly, some of us are... older ?... but unless oldtimers disease has set in, we do retain (for the most part) the values instilled in us by our parents, education and social systems of our (respective) motherlands

dont be a petulant wee girl... just give us one simple bit of information that doesn’t come from an article seeking donations... two would be better... but one would be a good start.

10 minutes ago, Makara said:

I can only suggest this and see what they say--I'd much rather find a journalist or someone who writes for the newspaper to follow this up. But what you guys aren't hearing is how incredibly social our circle is, and how close ties we all have with each other in a round about way, and how incredibly difficult this would be for these two women to scam, mostly people they know without burden of proof they were in trouble or in danger. What I am saying to you and you, will know soon enough, that this is not an on line scam. Something has happened to them in Thailand and of their own doing--mistake--stupidity--however you want to put it. If there is no arrest record, perhaps we need to ask why to the thai police, not just them? You want to know if it is a scam--point me in the direction of a good journalist over there, and let's see who is lying?! Let's see if they are in trouble, or this is just some big ole on line scam. To me it sounds so ridiculous. But some of us have different views, we are from different countries, and things are just different. So there's that. Good night. I am way past my bedtime and have to be up very early. Perhaps I will chime in again. Perhaps I can get a lot of answers for you, or perhaps we can just wait and see.

Simple. Name their hotel. 2 or 3 people here can shout them a 50 baht curry and listen to their story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Makara said:

I will try and get that info for you. Legitimate question to ask. I would like to know myself.

And please let us see them in Thailand a clear picture of them in the police station thank you because I still don't believe anything of this story 

• Like 1

100% I do not believe their story. Back in the 1990s  I was doing some banking at a bank I had my account with. Low and behold I ended up with  2 counterfeit 100 dollar bills. I contacted the Secret Service They sent an agent around to collect the bills and take some notes.

I asked the agent who was responsible because they were given to me by the Bank. He shook his head and said

Sorry you are. I could not prove the money came from the banks but before I went to the bank I did not have any 100 dollar bills

He said its possible the bank wanted to get rid of them as it would have been a loss or they did not notice.

Either way, I was screwed but never charged because they knew I was not a counterfeiter. From experience, these girls are making up a lie about finding them just floating in the street 

• Like 2

Surely this story must have appeared in the local newspapers, TV & radio stations in the US maybe even some mainstream media ? And as far as I can work out the US embassy/consulate has no knowledge of these 2 being arrested (sorry I couldn't read all 45 pages) all seems very weird to me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, farcanell said:

How do you know we are from different countries?

how do you know we have a different believe system?

admittedly, some of us are... older ?... but unless oldtimers disease has set in, we do retain (for the most part) the values instilled in us by our parents, education and social systems of our (respective) motherlands

dont be a petulant wee girl... just give us one simple bit of information that doesn’t come from an article seeking donations... two would be better... but one would be a good start.

You probably think I am just so young...That's funny to assume. Maybe we both are from the United States--idk--i assumed not. Never said anything about belief systems either. I did say we had different views (you know on this topic). You and your buddy's on here should go out and do the investigation yourself if your'e so sure its a scam. Why don't you go question the authorities and find out? We would all like to know the truth, so please by all means go out and find out. One already said he would be willing to meet them right sanemax? So if you're willing to do that start your digging around and investigating why don't ya? Go ask the authorities, go to the courthouse or get on the corner and ask some questions. Someone has got to know something right? Find it out instead of just talking. 

2 minutes ago, Makara said:

You probably think I am just so young...That's funny to assume. Maybe we both are from the United States--idk--i assumed not. Never said anything about belief systems either. I did say we had different views (you know on this topic). You and your buddy's on here should go out and do the investigation yourself if your'e so sure its a scam. Why don't you go question the authorities and find out? We would all like to know the truth, so please by all means go out and find out. One already said he would be willing to meet them right sanemax? So if you're willing to do that start your digging around and investigating why don't ya? Go ask the authorities, go to the courthouse or get on the corner and ask some questions. Someone has got to know something right? Find it out instead of just talking. 

Which guesthouse are they at?

Can have someone there in 60 mins to meet them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farcanell said:

birds of a feather, flock together.... if this chap knows these women.... well... tar and brush.

Please share with me what it's like to live in this world knowing only those as pure and unblemished as yourself.

Where is this magical place where only you and those who shine with goodness and light mingle?

When you look in the mirror do you see a gathering of angels?

When you sleep at night do the angels come to remove impurities from your bowels so your body never emits odorous unmentionables? 

Please sir, do tell us how it is that your shit don't stink?

Edited by smx1313

one claim to be at teh police station with lawyer 1 hours ago, an officer supposedly brought them vegetarian food and asked how case was going and wish them luck and work out in their favor. everyone so nice wish we spoke thai etc.

Edited by thadvert
time

2 hours ago, OldSiamHand said:

I'm sorry, but they are from California, not Oregon, and criminal records (except for those related to Megan's law) of other people are not public record.  You can obtain a copy of your own criminal record, but not those of other people.  Your credibility on this matter is seriously questionable and seems to be based on your supposed relationship with a friend of a friend of one of the girls.

Don't know what it's like in Cali but in NY, NJ, CT all you need to do is put someone's name in a Dept of Corrections website and you'll get just about every piece of info they have. You don't even need to know someone's entire name. 

2 hours ago, OldSiamHand said:

No you cannot, unless you are willing to go to each county of each state of the person concerned and troll through the cases heard by the court in such county.  There is no centralized location of criminal histories covering all states (or all counties in a state) that are open to the public that allow you to search the histories of other people.  If you use a criminal background service, then the records are far from complete and they disclose this when you sign up for such services.  The only way to get a full criminal background check from a centralized location is if you do the check against yourself (or someone authorized under law is able to do the check - e.g. law enforcement).

Yeah, no. You just need to put someones name in a DOC search. 

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Simple. Name their hotel. 2 or 3 people here can shout them a 50 baht curry and listen to their story.

Agree, name their hotel / hostel / guest house and I will call and ask 'can I please speak to ..... using the specific names of these two girls ....? I will ask in both English and Thai. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Agree, name their hotel / hostel / guest house and I will call and ask 'can I please speak to ..... using the specific names of these two girls ....? I will ask in both English and Thai. 

Wow, this is a great opportunity for Makara to help his friends (or friends of friends - I can't keep track).  If he provides these details and you're able to confirm, the amount of gofundme contributions can only go up!  Let's go, Makara - let's put these doubts to rest!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Funny that. Gone quiet. Moved onto the love letter to an American widow perhaps or the $50m inheritance but need $200 to unlock it.

well she did say she had to go to bed about three different times - maybe she finally meant it 

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

100% I do not believe their story. Back in the 1990s  I was doing some banking at a bank I had my account with. Low and behold I ended up with  2 counterfeit 100 dollar bills. I contacted the Secret Service They sent an agent around to collect the bills and take some notes.

I asked the agent who was responsible because they were given to me by the Bank. He shook his head and said

Sorry you are. I could not prove the money came from the banks but before I went to the bank I did not have any 100 dollar bills

He said its possible the bank wanted to get rid of them as it would have been a loss or they did not notice.

Either way, I was screwed but never charged because they knew I was not a counterfeiter. From experience, these girls are making up a lie about finding them just floating in the street 

its not about how they got the bills. its what they did with them. apparently in Cambodia around Chinese new years these bills are everywhere???  now this story is getting so much attn. because the girls were incredibly stupid.........some how they thought this was a harmless crime. passing off fakes as real.  well the us govt. takes this very seriously . and i dont think its in the us news because the us govt dont want to waste time on this stupidity.........ok i will go to Vietnam and get some play money. they sell it thier too and  go to currency exchange booth and try to exchange it..........the story is just so ridiculous it gets attn

do u know the chances that the girls were going to get money out of that copy bill..........zero. not even a one percent chance.  so i suppose it is POSSIBLE they didnt know. based on their stupidity and maybe they didnt know that the thais pounce if you make an error.  and it cost money.  i had a guesthouse make me pay for a doorknob once that broke. an old door knob

if u go to go fund me page. lots of comments thier . one from the lady out on bail.  im confused isnt go fund me for car wreck victims.  not women on holiday in exotic country who find money on ground and try to exchange it.  these gals are almost to their goal of 15k on go fund me.  when they reach the goal . will the goal be upped??????????  this is a great scam!!!!  people are paying for thier holiday in exotic asia

the girl on bail is posting on go fund me page.  i want to know ......how many of the bills did they try to pass?????????  one .........5 .......or all ten.  now if they tried all ten then maybe they can cry ignorance. but if they tried to pass off one bill ...........as testing grounds. they are guilty............maybe if you ask questions on go fund me. they will answer in hopes of getting to the 15k goal.

this whole story reminds me of the homeless guys in california at front the supermarkets that will only take bills not change...........go fund me is paying for their extended holiday now.  whats next. upping the go fund me amount?  they are seeking 15k on go fund me. does the money stop when they reach that or can they get more?   i can assure you they are staying at more than a 5 dollar room now.  i wonder what the scam will be next holiday