Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

On 3/16/2018 at 4:33 PM, Paul Catton said:

To be fair with Amykat, it would appear she has been through quite a fair bit of crap through the last decade living in Thailand.

Her resolve of provision for her adopted daughter speaks volumes that many wouldn't undertake.

Defending gender by virtue of gender was perhaps instinctive but in hindsight naive on this forum.

Wish you all the best for seamless transition back to America.

Thank you Paul for seeing this side. From another post you made and this one, I can see that you are a fair person when it comes to more personal situations, which you can probably relate with. I think from a few things you have said that you have had some hard times too and that I can sort of see where you might be coming from. I don't want to commit too much to that though because in general I think men might tend to over-react when they feel they have been discriminated against. And you might have been! Or you might not have been and you might just have been screwed over by someone better (in the <deleted> dept) and more sociopathic people than you .. maybe you are a total nice person?  They tend to get screwed over, no matter the gender.  Have you looked  into reading about narcissism and people who tend to get involved with them? What I am trying to say in my round the way manner, is that  ...maybe you are one totally nice empathetic man who has gotten f'ed over by narcissistic women, which can be a thing due to the way you were raised?  I can tell you more about it offline if you want? But then I might beat and abuse you? No just kidding I am a sweetheart and too nice for my own good ...like you might be too??

Yes most of us have broken laws. Speeding, for example. Or littering. 

But passing off counterfeit money as real is a major crime.

They’ll almost certainly get mercy from the court here. Lucky they didn’t try to change the fake money back home in America as it’s a felony and they could have ended up in prison for up to 20 years. 

• Like 1

So I say it is pointless because no matter what I say, most will only hear what they want. Believe what they want. Once all is said and done and they go to the courts and face whatever punishment occurs (and my personal hope is that they do not spend much or any time in prison there) then I may come back to prove once and for all this was not some scam to gain money from gofundme. The fact is they did not have the kind of funds to fight this case and family and friends donated to help the young women fight this in a foreign country they are not familiar with. Friends of friends donated too. This was not some elaborate made up scam to doop the public. That is what I find most ridiculous. @Kneedeep I don't need a journalist and that is why I did not contact them. They were arrested. There is a court date. They are facing their punishment. Don't ask me for proof. This is a public forum and it is none of anyones business the exact date they go to court. Just because I don't share this info does not mean it's a lie, though I am sure some of you will say so. It is beyond clear that the judicial system there is completely different than how we do it in the states. In fact there are not a lot of similarities at all! I came on here purely for the constant blame of this being some elaborate scam and to say this is no scam, they were arrested and facing punishment. I could tell you what I believe and know happened as far as the "fake money" goes but you guys wouldn't care or will find an excuse to say whatever I am saying is false, so I will not waist my breath. 

Edited by Makara
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Makara said:

So I say it is pointless because no matter what I say, most will only hear what they want. Believe what they want. Once all is said and done and they go to the courts and face whatever punishment occurs (and my personal hope is that they do not spend much or any time in prison there) then I may come back to prove once and for all this was not some scam to gain money from gofundme. The fact is they did not have the kind of funds to fight this case and family and friends donated to help the young women fight this in a foreign country they are not familiar with. Friends of friends donated too. This was not some elaborate made up scam to doop the public. That is what I find most ridiculous. @Knee deep I don't need a journalist and that is why I did not contact them. They were arrested. There is a court date. They are facing their punishment. Don't ask me for proof. This is a public forum and it is none of anyones business the exact date they go to court. Just because I don't share this info does not mean it's a lie, though I am sure some of you will say so. It is beyond clear that the judicial system there is completely different than how we do it in the states. In fact there are not a lot of similarities at all! I came on here purely for the constant blame of this being some elaborate scam and to say this is no scam, they were arrested and facing punishment. I could tell you what I believe and know happened as far as the "fake money" goes but you guys wouldn't care or will find an excuse to say whatever I am saying is false, so I will not waist my breath. 

When is the court date if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

However, according to the GoFundMe page, the women found some US currency in the street in Chiang Mai and attempted to exchange it, which is when they were arrested.

Their "Emergencies" guy from California, one of the lady's in question boyfriend must have decided to open up a sort of an agency, calling it who must have set up this page to make some money, to spreed some lies, but most importantly, he's trying to get cash.

When you check his GoFundMe page, you'll soon find out that he's also involved in another GFM activity. There's proof of three Iranians who got caught with nine, but fake $100 bills.

They immediately called in a press conference. So why did they not do that for the two women who do not seem as smooth as her bf describes her.

Too many lies, this thread is going on for so long because people want to know how cruel people can be. 

What I don't understand is that so many people are still believing the "in prison theory" that never really happened. There's not one post, article, etc to proof that. 

Still the same advertisement up, i don't believe any of these lies.:

Snip start To anyone who has met these two beautiful girls Misty Eichholz (right) and Danniel Paquette (left) know what kind of poeple they are. Each of them embody light. They are the most sweet, kindhearted and soulful individuals that I have ever met If you have had the plessure of meeting either of these individuals you know excatly what I am talking about.Snip end

They aren't girls, they are women. And they went through rough waters in their short lives when reading stories about them. They seem to be party animals and they are in no way the little innocent girls her boyfriend would like to suggest. I eat my mouse if I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, jenny2017 said:

Don't feed trolls, mate. 

Not sure what you mean. I'd just like to know what the disposition of the case is when it is finally ajudicated. My guess is it will be something like 5,000 Bt apiece fine and a blacklisting for some period of time.

1 hour ago, Makara said:

So I say it is pointless because no matter what I say, most will only hear what they want. Believe what they want. Once all is said and done and they go to the courts and face whatever punishment occurs (and my personal hope is that they do not spend much or any time in prison there) then I may come back to prove once and for all this was not some scam to gain money from gofundme. The fact is they did not have the kind of funds to fight this case and family and friends donated to help the young women fight this in a foreign country they are not familiar with. Friends of friends donated too. This was not some elaborate made up scam to doop the public. That is what I find most ridiculous. @Kneedeep I don't need a journalist and that is why I did not contact them. They were arrested. There is a court date. They are facing their punishment. Don't ask me for proof. This is a public forum and it is none of anyones business the exact date they go to court. Just because I don't share this info does not mean it's a lie, though I am sure some of you will say so. It is beyond clear that the judicial system there is completely different than how we do it in the states. In fact there are not a lot of similarities at all! I came on here purely for the constant blame of this being some elaborate scam and to say this is no scam, they were arrested and facing punishment. I could tell you what I believe and know happened as far as the "fake money" goes but you guys wouldn't care or will find an excuse to say whatever I am saying is false, so I will not waist my breath. 

So why did you come here in the first place?

To leech off the resource, but to give nothing back?

What about your stated aims of "giving forward"?

No need for you to 'waist'(sic) "your breath" as you put it....as if somehow you are saving oxygen by not posting here.

Ridiculous.

I'll stick with my initial opinion, thank you.

All involved are simply low life in one way or another. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

So why did you come here in the first place?

To leech off the resource, but to give nothing back?

What about your stated aims of "giving forward"?

No need for you to 'waist'(sic) "your breath" as you put it....as if somehow you are saving oxygen by not posting here.

Ridiculous.

I'll stick with my initial opinion, thank you.

All involved are simply low life in one way or another. 

None of your statement makes sense:

A: I came here to stop the rumor of scam

A: I did not leech off of any resource including yours (I did not need to prove if they were arrested or not--why it's not getting Thai media is a question to the officials.)

A: I merely stated "paying it forward" is similar to what gofundme is--what do I need to do here to "pay it forward"...that's right nothing, especially since paying it forward has to do with money. Like for instance, I walk into a coffee shop, I give the barista an extra 15 dollars and tell her to buy the next 3 coffees. There for I paid it forward.

Edited by Makara

1 hour ago, Makara said:

So why you trying to convince us 

This is a scam and I am a little bit sure you know it too and meaby you are in it  too we talk big money out of the fundraising campaign na

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

If you think it's all fake you should contact the police department in the jurisdiction of the originator of the GFM page. If it's not fake I'd like to know how it all turns out.

For the love of god... It's not fake. They tried to turn in money they found, and found out it was fake at the exchanger and got arrested. Then a bunch of misinformation happened while in jail stating they would need 30-40,000 each for any legal help and their siginifact others started gofundme pages for FRIENDS, FRIENDS OF FRIENDS, AND FAMILY to donate. Found out later after misinformation subsided that it wouldn't be that much, so they lowered the cap to 15,000. They are off on bail, await trial, can't leave Thailand, may go to prison, may just pay the fines and be banned. Won't know till court is over. I have been told the process can be extremly slow and various amount of things happen during the process.

How is this so hard to believe? Literally how?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Makara said:

For the love of god... It's not fake. They tried to turn in money they found, and found out it was fake at the exchanger and got arrested. 

How is this so hard to believe? Literally how?

They found money and tried to "turn it in" at a currency exchange. That is part of why it is hard to believe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So did any of this ever hit the media? Have not heard sweet <deleted>... Or did it turn out to be, as most people thought, a work of fiction? I shouldn't hate on their hustle, but when you think about all the genuine people who may not be helped due to a dubious public, it does turn me to really hope claims like this are fully followed up and culprits accountable for their actions if found to be false.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I believe you.

I hope so, and honestly I have empathy for the people who believe this is a scam or really want to believe it is a scam. It must be difficult to live in an environment where something like this is just so plausible, and that the people truly think that they started this scheme as an idea, and then began planting things on fb posts so they could get all these people on board to start gofundme pages and then to donate money just to have $ to extend their vacation (or some crap like that). Some of the things I have heard on here have been so outrageous that I have to find empathy for such misguided thoughts. I also will find empathy for all the people judging, calling lowlife and scrutinizing characters of which they know nothing about. I asked once in this thread if it was your own family or friend would would be so cruel? The answer was "we are not blinded by family ties, these are strangers." So not really answering the question at all. I am positive if something similar was happening to their aunt, mother, father, husband, wife, etc, they would not be on here calling them lowlife or any other awful things that have been said. Perhaps they would be giving or raising money some way or another, to help get them a lawyer and pay fines/bail. So easy to judge a complete stranger yeah? But if it is a loved one, bet it wouldn't be so easy then. And for the people stating they should get the 15 years makes me think they really hate Western women. See the funny thing about life is some are so quick to hate our differences yet we are so much more similar than we think. I will continue to empathize and not hate or wish ill will, or name call (especially in this situation) when it just isn't needed.

Edited by Makara

34 minutes ago, rott said:

They found money and tried to "turn it in" at a currency exchange. That is part of why it is hard to believe.

Why, they found money in a remote place while backpacking and it was on a muddy road strewn about, dirtied, tattered and thought it was real money. So they went to exchange it. The right thing would have been to turn it in after they found it. And if it actually was real and the authorities kept it (as I have heard WOULD happen) then the karma would have been placed on their hands. My personal thought is they should not have kept what they thought was real money. But they are not me. They made the wrong choice and are now in this mess. That's the real truth.

Edited by Makara
  • Like 2

See if all they did was find a petty sum of fakes, and tried to exchange them, I hope they get off lightly and can return home quickly. That is small time and there are regular heinous acts that occur in Thailand that go unpunished.

Thing is, I have been about, an offense like this involving foreigners not hitting the media in Thailand is incredibly fishy. I am calling BS on the whole affair unless someone can show some evidence.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

See if all they did was find a petty sum of fakes, and tried to exchange them, I hope they get off lightly and can return home quickly. That is small time and there are regular heinous acts that occur in Thailand that go unpunished.

Thing is, I have been about, an offense like this involving foreigners not hitting the media in Thailand is incredibly fishy. I am calling BS on the whole affair unless someone can show some evidence.

The admin has made it clear stating personal information on this forum is against the rules. People are asking for proof which you have got on this thread. Bangkok Post had a small article on this, Coconuts wrote an article, 2 US articles, a person on this forum got information from the police of their arrest, I know one of the women arrested, but none of that is good enough for some of you. Because it is not plastered on every media station or paper there you claim it is fishy or a scam. Yet somehow you guys want personal information such as arrest record, proof of lawyer, proof of paid bail, date of next court date, if the gofundme money has been withdrawn and what the gofundme money is being spent on, where they are staying and a bunch of other things asking for proof which the admin clearly stated is against the rules! And really is not okay to post on a public forum. We have gave proof, articles have been written, people on here investigated and came up with that they indeed where arrested, yet, YET, none of that is good enough. 

Edited by Makara

6 hours ago, roo860 said:

Hang on Amy, what's this 'all you men'?

So wait. After laying out a very complex answer, that's your takeaway from the post?

Funny, someone else made the same objection.

There is no attempt to address the issues she points out. Only focusing on 3 words in a long detailed post. She's not presenting a legal defense to a court, or a PHD thesis to a peer review.

Perhaps "many" or "most" would be better than "all", but to be offended by, focus only on a very minor syntax issue? That's a Artful Dodger move.

Speaking as a man, going on gut instinct, not facts, I think that about 90% of the responses  from the Prosecutions table are men, so she's not inaccurate in her post.

Edited by smx1313
  • Like 1

Was this the first time they tried to exchange money in Thailand !!! , surely they must have known that it gets checked by the first cashier 3 or 4 times to then be passed to the second cashier to be checked and counted another 3 or 4 times, after which it is checked for any handwriting or pen/pencil marks, after this it is checked for rips and tears, then comes the holding it up to the light to check the watermark and security strip of each note then finally it gets checked with the black light and then if all of these things are ok, they will give you lots of thai notes with rips, tears and writing on and you can go on your merry way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Perhaps I know at least a little more than you. 

I have no doubt that there are many things, entire libraries of subjects, that you know more about than I do.

However, your response to me is vague and cryptic. 

You insinuate that you "perhaps" have information that I don't have.

Very possible. 

So, focusing on the matter we are all discussing, what is it that you "perhaps" know more about?

What is it that you know that justifies your very personal condemnation of Markara?

Perhaps your knowledge, as it relates to the post that sparked this fire, will  help all of us understand this odd story.

Ironically, not producing such information actually make you guilty of the same accusations and judgement you've dealt to Markara.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smx1313 said:

Not supporting or condemning the women's story. Like most of the posters here I'm just playing armchair detective:

A few pages back someone here made basically the same point about the Trump petition.  It is evidence of 

the most popular theory about this matter, it's a scam. 

I'll reiterate my response to them. Based on Facebook posts that I read, my gut feeling is that someone not involved with the case believed the solution to this was to have Trump intervene on behalf of the women. They then took it upon themselves to start and promote the petition.

I agree with you on the point that it is an odd endeavor.   

@smx1313   Literally when I saw that petition posted on gofundme I didn't know if I should laugh, get pissed, or what. I did however shake my head. I also wonder if it was someone's joke. A lot of people are being real awful towards these women. Complete strangers--I will never understand this type of behavior. The one odd thing I noticed about that ridiculous petition is the person's name that posted it, looked as if it had changed from one day to the next. I call fake trolling.

It certainly didn't help with their "watch out everyone it is a scam" allegations. As you and I know the women had nothing to do with that. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

there is just to much silly stuff that dont add up here.

also hard to believe how anyone could be so silly to do this

Hi, I think you must be new to this issue. If you check out the last 80 or so pages of posts you'll see all the points you raise are debated endlessly. Have fun reading!