PM vows to intervene in markets dispute

snoop1130

PM vows to intervene in markets dispute

By The Nation

08cc3be41d494e37f3a0193d99b24736.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha promised on Tuesday to look into a dispute between residents and Bangkok authorities over the presence of noisy markets around their homes in Prawet district.

The dispute has led to the closure of three markets, putting hundreds of vendors out of business.

Therefore, the premier said, the dispute must be dealt with according to the law and the process had to be followed carefully as it involved a large number of people.

The PM was referring to a long-standing feud involving one family in the Seri Villa housing project, who have accused the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in Administrative Court of allowing markets to operate in an area designated for residential use only.

Two sister living in the same house complained the markets had polluted the area and that shoppers always blocked their driveway by parking their vehicles in front of their gate. 

The issue attracted national headlines when the sisters used an axe and spade to attack a pickup that blocked their drive last week.

Prayut said the only thing to do was follow the rule of law and those found to be in the wrong would be punished.

“Previously, the government didn’t know about the problem but now we know and I have learnt about the information. I assured you that I will look into it,” Prayut said. 

Meanwhile Prawet director Thanasit Mekpunmuang visited the area in question to examine whether the three markets ordered to cease operating without permits had followed the order.

He said the three markets had, indeed, shut and vendors had started cleaning the site. “For the vendors who lost their jobs, the BMA has provided alter

native places for them nearby. 

One vendor, known only as Sayan, said he had sold pork at the offending market and now it had been shut, he was looking for somewhere else to operate.

He said he currently had not found a suitable spot and his family would suffer as he had no income.

Sathanee Arunpu, 54, said she sold flowers at one of the closed markets, earning about Bt700-800 per day. 

“I have lost my income as the markets have closed and I have to find a new place,” she said. 

Fish seller Chucheep Chawanasilp, 33, said he had previously worked at the market, albeit only at weekends. 

“Now I don’t know what to do or where to sell the products,” he said. “I have two children to feed.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339802

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-2-27

55 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Looking for that best spot to for the reopening. Ain´t gonna be prime forever.

BKK has many new locations for brand new huge markets...they make them under new high roofs with huge parkinglots, all perfect.

I don't understand why Prayuth has to intervene in this case though, the markets were illegal so sack the police in that area and close the markets.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, quandow said:

Isn't this a little below his pay grade? Methinks the whole story isn't being told here.

Silly man, all roads lead to Bangkok.  Bangkok is the centre of the universe.   You are giving the inept far too much credit for brain activity that just does not take place.   If little p leaves Bangkok, he gets boos and more boos.   This is a perfect job for him, well within his grasp.

This sounds like another job for one of his 'Panels' who would be overseen by one of his 'Committee's', further overseen by a 'Probe' of an additional 'Sub-Committee'.   Naturally such jobs would be awarded to influential people's families and no results would be expected for several years to come whilst they are paid vast sums of tax payers money !

16 hours ago, mercman24 said:

a Prime Minister getting involved in a market dispute,? hey what about that soi dog that keeps shitting outside my condo, ??  the mind boggles lol !!

Indeed.

Can you imagine a May, Macron or a Merkel getting involved in this trivia.

Illegal market in London - i doubt it would even get to the mayor's desk, it would be sorted out at a local borough level.

I think heads of State generally have more pressing subjects to keep them occupied...

But Mr P - oh no, beach chairs, lottery tickets, and now a local fish market.... 

Imbecile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Indeed.

Can you imagine a May, Macron or a Merkel getting involved in this trivia.

Illegal market in London - i doubt it would even get to the mayor's desk, it would be sorted out at a local borough level.

I think heads of State generally have more pressing subjects to keep them occupied...

But Mr P - oh no, beach chairs, lottery tickets, and now a local fish market.... 

Imbecile.

You've got it in one. This man just can't help himself. He is so full of himself he's got to stick his Pinocchio nose into everything just to show who is boss. By referring to him as an imbecile some people might say you are being overly kind and generous.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2018 at 6:56 AM, quandow said:

Isn't this a little below his pay grade? Methinks the whole story isn't being told here.

Short answer: Yes, this is below his pay grade.

Longer answer: For a person trying to portray himself as a man of the people while he erodes their rights and move them towards a dictatorship it is an ideal opportunity. High profile, lots of eyes on the story that he can appear to be a hero.  

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:51 PM, KMartinHandyman said:

Interesting he said previously the government didn’t know about it but the ladies have taken the BMA to court and nothing was done. The BMA is part of the government isn’t it?

You have local government, provincial government and national government. They are not the same.

8 hours ago, chama said:

Short answer: Yes, this is below his pay grade.

Longer answer: For a person trying to portray himself as a man of the people while he erodes their rights and move them towards a dictatorship it is an ideal opportunity. High profile, lots of eyes on the story that he can appear to be a hero.  

Better answer: he is fixing problems which none of the previous governments bothered about.

• Confused 1