Arsenal

MiG16

Official Club Statement - Eduardo and Uefa

The Club is in receipt of Uefa’s reasoned decision in relation to the charge against Eduardo.

We strongly believe that the decision taken is deeply flawed and not based on any forensic review of the video evidence available.

There are obvious errors and inconsistencies in Uefa’s judgment and we intend to appeal.

from Arsenal.com

so.....against Man City tonight....

some of our former players there - Toure and Adebayor.

not to mention the defeat last year.....

Arsene:

However, ahead of Saturday’s game, last season’s defeat still resonated with Arsène Wenger.

“Losing 3-0 at Manchester City last year was very difficult to take,” he recalled. “Everything went against us on the day. There was the penalty straight away after half-time and then the third goal came quickly. It was the kind of game where everything was wrong.

from Arsenal.com

makes this a very important game....and I as other fans and the team are obviously hoping for a big revenge :)

I prolly did....

<says no more on last night results>

I heard a Manchester City supporter who was at the game singing the praises of Arsenal's second half football and how sublime it was to watch. Easier to say if you've just won admittedly. It was the same with West Ham during the late 1960's and 70's. Playing the most delightful football to watch in the old first division, but invariably losing many more games than we should have. But on the plus side, a team gains many more admirers than detractors that way. This was not always the case with Arsenal , especially back in the days when George Graham was manager and the 'boring Arsenal' label was first coined. Back to today, we can only hope that in the end football and not money will be the eventual winner.

our defense was terrible

sure they were trying hard to get the second goal after drawing at 1:1, but no reason to leave our own goal wide open

to our credit - the last 10 minutes in particular we should have got at least 2 more goals, but luck was just not on our side

on Adebayor - interestingly, not once was he offside in last night's game? when he played at Arsenal I think he was always at the forefront of being mr offside.

again when at Arsenal, how often did you see him work so hard that hes all over the field? scoring goals, AND being so dam# effective with defending too. there were at least 3 incidences where he fended off goals from the near post, and another headed away by him.

trying hard to impress his new team obviously. sheesh

i woke up early to watch the game this morning

sorry to the belgians

Standard Liege 2:3 Arsenal

Arsenal started their Champions League Group H campaign with a bang by producing a stunning second-half comeback at Standard Liege on Wednesday.

Arsène Wenger's side were 2-0 down after a crazy first five minutes. Eliaquim Mangala was given room to fire home a shot from just outside the area then William Gallas clipped Milan Jovanovic, who picked himself up and scored from the penalty spot.

rest of story at Arsenal.com

I have to say though (and not being biased)..I watched the reply again and again and AGAIN, but still could not see Gallas tripping the guy? and I dont think my eyesight is that bad......

anyhow we got a crucial goal just before half time, and after that everything was good again. possession was about 67% by Arsenal!

• 2 weeks later...

a little bit on the Adebayor bad boy vs our lovely van Persie....

Adebayor stamp case closed for Van Persie

By Nick Teale

Robin van Persie wants to move on from the Emmanuel Adebayor incident at Eastlands earlier this month, safe in the knowledge that it was not his fault.

The former Arsenal striker received a three-match ban from the FA for what appeared to be a stamp on Van Persie's head during the Gunners’ 4-2 defeat at Manchester City.

But Van Persie does not want to dwell on the matter.

"Adebayor, what can I say about that?" queried Van Persie.

"My feelings are the same. I don't want to waste any more time on Mr Adebayor. If I look in the mirror, I cannot blame myself."

from Arsenal.com

premier league 26th Sept

Fulham 0: 1 Arsenal :)

By Richard Clarke

Rookie keeper Vito Mannone pulled off a string of stunning saves as Arsenal snatched a 1-0 win at Fulham on Saturday evening.

The only goal came from Robin van Persie seven minutes after half-time. It was a wonderful strike fashioned by Cesc Fabregas and finished stylishly by the Dutchman.

That would probably be the abiding memory of any average game but it won't be today. Instead the image of Mannone's blocks will linger longest.

The 21-year-old made acrobatic stops from Andrew Johnson headers in each half. He also thwarted the former Palace frontman with a sprawling effort in front of his near post and tipped Zoltan Gera's shot wide. However surely Mannone's best moment was the reflex save from Bobby Zamora's thunderous header nine minutes from time.

Remember the former Atalanta player is Arsenal's third-choice keeper and this was only his ninth game in any form of first-team football.

more here ohhh and those that have a dislike for Arsene might want to check this out too

MrBo

i have no issue losing a game, or how many ever of them. Arsenal will still be my fav team

BUT re Adebayor: with any player (not just in football), if they dont uphold the spirit of sportsmanship (whats the gender neutral word for that?) then there will always be criticisms. the outcry becomes particularly louder when its shown by a former member of the team.

anyhow, on last night :D

what an incredible game....

Arsenal 6: 2 Rovers

ohhh story here at Arsenal.com

(yes I know no one reads/clicks my links :))

MrBo

i have no issue losing a game, or how many ever of them. Arsenal will still be my fav team

BUT re Adebayor: with any player (not just in football), if they dont uphold the spirit of sportsmanship (whats the gender neutral word for that?) then there will always be criticisms. the outcry becomes particularly louder when its shown by a former member of the team.

He's not the first and won't be last to foul someone. And he isn't the first, nor will be the last to celebrate in front of his old fans who now jeer him and give him stick. It's the way it's been blown out of all proportion and the way the Arsenal players have been going on and on about it, that stinks in my view.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread needs a bump and besides, with all the balloons, beach balls in the LP thread, I thought we should give them a break... :)

Inter coach Jose Mourinho: I must win trophies to keep my job, unlike Arsene Wenger & Rafa Benitez

Inter coach Jose Mourinho talked about the pressure of coaching in Italy and the importance of midfielder Esteban Cambiasso to the team.

While Inter prepare for a tricky away match against Genoa on Saturday evening, coach Jose Mourinho gave an interview to Inter Channel in which he talked about being called a 'bauscia' - Milanese dialect for an arrogant, loud-mouthed person - midfielder Esteban Cambiasso, and the transfer market.

"Am I a 'bauscia'? Yes, I know what it means," Mourinho said. "Certainly all the fans know I give everything for the club and also to them. I couldn't work any other way, that's how I am."

On Cambiasso, he said, "I would need two Cambiassos, one playing ten metres further forward and the other ten metres behind."

Asked about who Inter might buy in the near future, the coach preferred not to name any players, "I don't want the newspapers to say Inter will buy this or that player."

On his future as coach of Inter, Mourinho seized the opportunity to take a mischievious side-swipe at a couple of adversaries from his Premier League days. "[Arsene] Wenger has been Arsenal's coach for 15 years but he hasn't won even a Carling Cup for six years. [Rafa] Benitez hasn't won a league title in six years but he continues to be Liverpool's coach.

"This is not the Italian mentality. To stay here I must continue winning and do well.

west ham vs Arsenal 2: 2 draw

I missed the game. grrrrr hate the time zone diff

Not a classic but definitely lived up to the cliche of a 'game of two halves'

!st half was competetive in the middle but we had nothing up front, you got the 2 goals and I thought we were heading for a spanking but 2nd half you started to let us play (why?) and we fought our way back into the game, rode our luck a bit but deserved a draw, and could have nicked all 3 points :-)

come on you irons!

Champions League

Arsenal 4:1 AZ Alkmaar,

by 80th minute we were leading 4 nil and I hoped it would stay at that but somehow Alkmaar got a goal in (coincidentally a few seconds later I saw Liverpool score on the other screen)

had to watch this one on livestreaming GRRRR and for some reason the volume wouldnt load. how annoying. so was watching Arsenal, but listing to Liverpool game commentary

Champions League

Arsenal 4:1 AZ Alkmaar,

by 80th minute we were leading 4 nil and I hoped it would stay at that but somehow Alkmaar got a goal in (coincidentally a few seconds later I saw Liverpool score on the other screen)

had to watch this one on livestreaming GRRRR and for some reason the volume wouldnt load. how annoying. so was watching Arsenal, but listing to Liverpool game commentary

Did you follow the instructions that my drinking buddy gave you last night??