Arsenal

MiG16

I have to admit i had written off Arsenal

people have done that a lot in recent years. talks about Henry leaving would ruin the team, talks about all the 'big' players jumping ship etc etc

Ive always said that the beauty about Arsenal is that they build up the team. there isnt 'one' big star. everyone grows and has a chance to shine and contribute to making the team a success.

anyhow...for those that missed the game :)

here is the highlight.....commentary just for MrBojangles :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qP4bgsq-FA

no one is visiting my thread today? what a big surprise :D

:D

not the result. just the no visitors :)

sorry Migsy, after the last 4-5 years, we thought everyone left the building. :D

and that "everyone" seemed to be a very small number, I suppose. :D

people have done that a lot in recent years. talks about Henry leaving would ruin the team, talks about all the 'big' players jumping ship etc etc

That's not exactly right. I was among many that initially thought that Thierry Henry's move would be a positive thing for Arsenal, as the team was heavily reliant on one player. That it was latterly proven to be a rare misjudgement by Wenger is neither here nor there.

Ive always said that the beauty about Arsenal is that they build up the team. there isnt 'one' big star. everyone grows and has a chance to shine and contribute to making the team a success.

As above concerning Henry. Oddly enough it's true to say that Arsenal have but one world class player in their team nowadays. As much as I'd prefer it otherwise, that's perhaps one good reason that Arsenal won't overtake Chelsea, who have six world class players in their squad.

• 2 weeks later...

I just think a two game ban on Eduardo is utter nonsense. Why? When you watch a game and a ref sees a player dive, even to win a penalty, what does the ref do if he thought it was a dive? He gives a simple yellow card. One yellow card doesn't equal a 2-game ban, sorry. It's just utter nonsense in my opinion and I have to agree with Wenger's thoughts on the matter. It just doesn't compute.

Ok, who likes diving? Nobody, and when I see a player I like doing it I don't applaud it, I wonder why he's acting like such a wanke_r. Nobody likes diving and perhaps something should be done, but in this case it's been handled quite stupidly by UEFA in my opinion. There's no way this is going to be consistent, no way.

I just think a two game ban on Eduardo is utter nonsense. Why? When you watch a game and a ref sees a player dive, even to win a penalty, what does the ref do if he thought it was a dive? He gives a simple yellow card. One yellow card doesn't equal a 2-game ban, sorry. It's just utter nonsense in my opinion and I have to agree with Wenger's thoughts on the matter. It just doesn't compute.

Ok, who likes diving? Nobody, and when I see a player I like doing it I don't applaud it, I wonder why he's acting like such a wanke_r. Nobody likes diving and perhaps something should be done, but in this case it's been handled quite stupidly by UEFA in my opinion. There's no way this is going to be consistent, no way.

Quite right,Jim,but it would compute if a RED card was issued for diving in the penalty area.This,however,would put added pressure on the referee's shoulders as he would be strung up if he got it wrong.He needs help from the fourth official with a replay monitor.THEIR job,at the moment,could be carried out by a dullard!

Yeah, for me the problem isn't so much Eduardo being banned, it's that others haven't been and won't be in the future, for exactly the same offence.

Consistency is the key.

Agree.

With so much money football generates, they could afford having a panel of experts reviewing cases as they pop up.

Sometimes the Ref is not able to see it clearly.

If the panel concludes it is cheating, the players team should either lose the points they gained, or lose 3 points (if they already lost that game).

This way the clubs will make sure none of their players try this, as it will hit them back hard.

It does not always work if one just ban that particular player.

If one of the 17 forwards Man City has, did this, and got 2 match ban, well then man City could use one of the other 16 forwards they have, so it would not always have such an impact on the club.

Better to let the club pay for it.

After all, the player is an employee of that club.

Although I dislike Eduardo, I agree that a 2 match ban for a yellow card-able offense doesn't make any sense at all.

It makes about as much sense as Chelsea's two year transfer ban. The bias against English club is really getting crazy, it's gone from strong words and statements into actual action and bans.

I just have a feeling Man United will be next...i guess they probably don't have to worry about Liverpool :)

Edited by dave111223

If one of the 17 forwards Man City has, did this, and got 2 match ban, well then man City could use one of the other 16 forwards they have, so it would not always have such an impact on the club.

Just for clarity. :)

Current Strikers:

Robinho

Roque Santa Cruz (injured)

Emmanuel Adebayor

Benjani

Carlos Tevez

Craig Bellamy .

On Loan:

Valeri Bojinov (to Parma)

Jo (to Everton)

Felipe Caicedo (to Sporting Lisbon)

Edited by mrbojangles

Interesting.

As with many things instigated by UEFA, will the Premier League now have to take responsibility for meting out identical bans for such offences ??

I also think Eduardo was a tw4t and, whilst I have no time for Wenger, you can see why he feels the world is against him.

I think the fact that Celtic made a complaint then they had to be seen to be doing something. It was a blatant dive. Just wish it would happen more. Then maybe players would think twice about diving. What gets me about these players is. They are usually fantastic skillful players(usually strikers or midfielders) that dont need to cheat! I have played with some ex pros in Bangkok and one of them was our captain. When one of our Thai players went down like he was shot. He was warned by the Capatain(Scottish) Do it again and you're I'm subbing you(but in alot stronger words) :) . Which he did and was subbed. Having played against many Thais in Bangers and indoor here in Sydney. They tend to go down very easily. Watching the EPL and the players there that have set the examples.

I think the fact that Celtic made a complaint then they had to be seen to be doing something. It was a blatant dive. Just wish it would happen more. Then maybe players would think twice about diving. What gets me about these players is. They are usually fantastic skillful players(usually strikers or midfielders) that dont need to cheat! I have played with some ex pros in Bangkok and one of them was our captain. When one of our Thai players went down like he was shot. He was warned by the Capatain(Scottish) Do it again and you're I'm subbing you(but in alot stronger words) :) . Which he did and was subbed. Having played against many Thais in Bangers and indoor here in Sydney. They tend to go down very easily. Watching the EPL and the players there that have set the examples.

(Went a bit crazy there with the full-stops Jockstar! They don't grow. On trees. You know? Leave some for the rest of us mate! :D )

If all it takes is a complaint, i don't know why more complaints aren't filed.

On the subject of dives, which one sticks in your mind the most? For me it's a toss up between Rivaldo's collapse at the corner flag or Robben's belated writhing on the floor clutching desperately at his windpipe. At the time, both players in their prime and with no need whatsoever to tarnish their careers, which for me they did.

Which is your "favourite"?

I would like to see a similar system to Rugby, operate in the League. What the Ref sees or doesn't stands in the game. However, on viewing video evidence a player for disciplinary reasons ( IE: blatant dive not seen by ref ) can be cited after the game and brought to book.

Likewise this panal can work in a players favour, if a punishment handed out to him in error or simply wrong on the day needs to be corrected, it can be reviewed on appeal using the same technology.

Diving needs to be stopped. Consistancy the key and if the swallows in the league new there was an eye in the sky that would catch them out post game, it would cease.

Wayne "I've never taken a dive in my life" Rooney did a fine impression last night :)

oh come on now boj, rooney didn't dive on saturday. what he did was pull the defender's shorts, kick him and then claim a penalty. it's an entirely different form of cheating.

Wayne "I've never taken a dive in my life" Rooney did a fine impression last night :)

oh come on now boj, rooney didn't dive on saturday. what he did was pull the defender's shorts, kick him and then claim a penalty. it's an entirely different form of cheating.

Guess spending all that time around Gerrard while on National Duty has rubbed off. :D

Wayne "I've never taken a dive in my life" Rooney did a fine impression last night :D

Yep, you're quite right stevie. I stand corrected :)

Wayne "I've never taken a dive in my life" Rooney did a fine impression last night :D

Yep, you're quite right stevie. I stand corrected :D

Ahh yes the very same Rooney who last season at the Britannia purposely tried to elbow Abdy Faye directly in front of the linesman then tried to claim a foul then proceeded to tell the linesman to <deleted> off (about 2 metres away) because he didn't give him one . . . of course not a word was said to Rooney! :)

Edited by technocracy

Yep, you're quite right stevie. I stand corrected :D

Ahh yes the very same Rooney who last season at the Britannia purposely tried to elbow Abdy Faye directly in front of the linesman then tried to claim a foul then proceeded to tell the linesman to <deleted> off (about 2 metres away) because he didn't give him one . . . of course not a word was said to Rooney! :)

he's the only player in the english game who continually gets away with saying 'fuc_k off' to referees. i remember both ashley cole and john terry doing it but they were both at least pulled up by the ref for it if not booked. rooney gets away with absolute murder compared with other players because of that 'well it's an essential part of his game' <deleted>.

anyhow, eduardo. deserved a ban for being shit at diving. if you're going to cheat, at least be good at it. what do you do all day in training?