Oscars

kevvy

How quick time goes . The 2018 Oscars are nearly here .

These are some of the predictions this year

Best Picture
Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

I am going for the Shape of water, Tree billboards could win it as well.

Best Actor
Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

I would like to see Gary Oldman win this Oscar. Maybe this year he will win his first one. 

Fewer than usual will be watching on tv because it's going to be more #metoo BS. All black dresses and that sort of thing.

As for the films themselves, I never go by Oscars as it's the film industry pleasuring themselves. If they make The Big Sick the best film I might change my mind, but I'm pretty safe there, IMO.

Call Me By Your Name. Never heard of it
Darkest Hour. Watched that, and while it was a good film, it never gripped me, so not great. Oldham did a competent job though.
Dunkirk. Complete <deleted>. Hated it. They had container cranes in the background!
Get Out Never heard of it
Lady Bird Going to watch it when I get a chance
Phantom Thread Never heard of it
The Post Never heard of it
The Shape of Water Wasn't shown in the local cinema. Not available on DVD yet.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Also waiting to be seen, but hopeful

Have to remember that Thai cinemas only play the big films, so miss out on many till on DVD.

The local didn't even play Darkest Hour.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fewer than usual will be watching on tv because it's going to be more #metoo BS. All black dresses and that sort of thing.

As for the films themselves, I never go by Oscars as it's the film industry pleasuring themselves. If they make The Big Sick the best film I might change my mind, but I'm pretty safe there, IMO.

Call Me By Your Name. Never heard of it
Darkest Hour. Watched that, and while it was a good film, it never gripped me, so not great. Oldham did a competent job though.
Dunkirk. Complete <deleted>. Hated it. They had container cranes in the background!
Get Out Never heard of it
Lady Bird Going to watch it when I get a chance
Phantom Thread Never heard of it
The Post Never heard of it
The Shape of Water Wasn't shown in the local cinema. Not available on DVD yet.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Also waiting to be seen, but hopeful

Have to remember that Thai cinemas only play the big films, so miss out on many till on DVD.

The local didn't even play Darkest Hour.

watched the shape of water last week , in my family room .it is out there to get .. great show..and some of the others as well./ cheers

Watched 3 billboards last night and was profoundly depressed after. Very well made film, but way too dark to be great. Some of actors for best actor by all means, but that film should not be in for best film.

Perhaps just me, but I like a film that is resolved at the end, not just hanging like that, and while I don't expect a Hollywood ending, it would be nice to leave the cinema feeling that life isn't <deleted> all the time.

I go to the movies to be entertained, and that one just brought me down.

This was more along the lines of Asian films where everyone dies in the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Watched 3 billboards last night and was profoundly depressed after. Very well made film, but way too dark to be great. Some of actors for best actor by all means, but that film should not be in for best film.

Perhaps just me, but I like a film that is resolved at the end, not just hanging like that, and while I don't expect a Hollywood ending, it would be nice to leave the cinema feeling that life isn't <deleted> all the time.

I go to the movies to be entertained, and that one just brought me down.

This was more along the lines of Asian films where everyone dies in the end.

Why didnt you walk out? I do if crap.

The trailer looks crap as well.

Edited by Justfine

I can't even remember 3 billboreds. Typical film that does well at the awards. Moonlight last year so over rated hard to believe. Lion 2016 very under rated.

Get Out was pretty good, 7/10. Movies are pretty dire of late, I'm totally bored of the American predictable guff

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Justfine said:

Why didnt you walk out? I do if crap.

The trailer looks crap as well.

Where did I say it was crap?

I just said I thought it was depressing. 

It was a well made film with excellent acting. My point was that I didn't think it was worth a "best film", and it wasn't.

If I avoided depressing things, I'd never get out of bed.

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can't even remember 3 billboreds. Typical film that does well at the awards. Moonlight last year so over rated hard to believe. Lion 2016 very under rated.

Get Out was pretty good, 7/10. Movies are pretty dire of late, I'm totally bored of the American predictable guff

Unfortunately, it's very hard for films that aren't dire blockbuster rubbish to get financing. That's because film making has been taken over by big business and they only finance films they think will make lots of money. Has to be more than break even, because they are business <deleted> and don't care about quality, just profit.

Predictably, the films they make are Transformers and Marvel comics stuff that attracts the demographic that go to movies for seeing things get blown up. That's where the big money is.

Even more unfortunately, Thais don't go for the interesting films like The Big Sick, so we are lucky to see them in a cinema here.

I watched Lady Bird last night, and it is so bad I had to stop watching after forcing myself to watch for 1/2 an hour. The only emotion that arose in me was to pity her mother for having to put up with a revolting child.

I fail to see how that film could have been nominated for best film.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I watched Lady Bird last night, and it is so bad I had to stop watching after forcing myself to watch for 1/2 an hour. The only emotion that arose in me was to pity her mother for having to put up with a revolting child.

I fail to see how that film could have been nominated for best film.

because it was written and directed by a woman, Greta Gerwig and 'diversity' was the theme at the Oscars...

but it failed to win any awards, they were all won by films written and directed by men...the performances by Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf were very good as daughter and mother...Laurie Metcalf was a bit player on the Roseanne TV series 25 years ago and I always paid attention then when she came on the screen, she managed to combine comedy with working class angst...Saoirse Ronan is only 23 y.o. and she's goin' places...her acting talent outshines Jennifer Lawrence and her T&A glamour any day of the week...

Bruce Willis playing Paul Kersey????

New Release .

Actors considered for the role of Paul Kersey included Liam Neeson, Russell Crowe, Matt Damon, Bruce Willis, Benicio Del Toro, Will Smith, and Brad Pitt. Bruce Willis was chosen to star in the end.

Will watch it next week .. not really excited about it ,

5a9d3494036f0_MV5BMTkzNjU3MjE0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTIyNDk0NDM@._V1_UY209_CR00140209_AL_.jpg.366a0fca89542e91b43cb152f0a2594f.jpg&key=751cce6a020c528c799ede6746dc4a022f2e03a6e2e00fb51fbba4b703dded47

I think Bruce Willis was the right choice, its a simple story, only rates 6.8 on IMDB. I quite enjoyed it, for 90 baht it was worth seeing. There's alot of scope for vigilante movies

38 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Frances Dormand acceptance speech asking all female nominees to stand up was one of the most cringeworthy things I've seen.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Doormat. Boring show. I switched off.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where did I say it was crap?

I just said I thought it was depressing. 

It was a well made film with excellent acting. My point was that I didn't think it was worth a "best film", and it wasn't.

If I avoided depressing things, I'd never get out of bed.

Contradiction.

49 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

because it was written and directed by a woman, Greta Gerwig and 'diversity' was the theme at the Oscars...

but it failed to win any awards, they were all won by films written and directed by men...the performances by Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf were very good as daughter and mother...Laurie Metcalf was a bit player on the Roseanne TV series 25 years ago and I always paid attention then when she came on the screen, she managed to combine comedy with working class angst...Saoirse Ronan is only 23 y.o. and she's goin' places...her acting talent outshines Jennifer Lawrence and her T&A glamour any day of the week...

Reality is most actors play themselves over and over. Either you like them or you don't. They aren't really acting.

18 hours ago, kevvy said:

Bruce Willis playing Paul Kersey????

New Release .

Actors considered for the role of Paul Kersey included Liam Neeson, Russell Crowe, Matt Damon, Bruce Willis, Benicio Del Toro, Will Smith, and Brad Pitt. Bruce Willis was chosen to star in the end.

Will watch it next week .. not really excited about it ,

MV5BMTkzNjU3MjE0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTIyNDk0NDM@._V1_UY209_CR0,0,140,209_AL_.jpg

Oh no. Not only will they probably ruin it with some PC version, but having that tosser is the death knell. He hasn't made a decent film in years and his 4th Die Hard was just a revolting piece of <deleted>. I think he's been hanging out with Julia too long.

Neeson and Crowe are too old, Toro too quiet, Smith- don't make me laff, Pitt lost it long ago- must be from being married to ol fat lips.

Should have been Matt Damon. His Bourne films were legendary for the ultra violence.

I need an excuse to get out of the house, so I'll probably go to see it anyway, unless there is something better, which would be almost anything not made by Julia and her friends.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Frances Dormand acceptance speech asking all female nominees to stand up was one of the most cringeworthy things I've seen.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

She deserved the award, but she is a <deleted> for thinking that makes her an authority on anything.

Funny ( not haha ) how those bimbos can ponce around on the red carpet on their 12 inch heels, with their boobs falling out and then winge on about how men treat them like sex objects.

Here's a thought- how about not going up to men's hotel rooms by yourselves when you don't know them?

Oh no. Not only will they probably ruin it with some PC version, but having that tosser is the death knell. He hasn't made a decent film in years and his 4th Die Hard was just a revolting piece of . I think he's been hanging out with Julia too long.
Neeson and Crowe are too old, Toro too quiet, Smith- don't make me laff, Pitt lost it long ago- must be from being married to ol fat lips.
Should have been Matt Damon. His Bourne films were legendary for the ultra violence.

I need an excuse to get out of the house, so I'll probably go to see it anyway, unless there is something better, which would be almost anything not made by Julia and her friends.
Nah Matt Damon would have been the wrong choice, he doesn't suit that movie

10 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

Almost any actress would outshine Lawrence. I saw Passengers without realising who she was, and thought her performance was rubbish. She's been in almost everything since she finished Hunger Games, with varying success- I thought she was good in Joy- but I fail to see why she should be the highest paid actress around. I guess she is the "in thing", for now. For sure, she's no Audrey Hepburn.

Ronan will need to be in better films than that if she's to go places though.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:
Oh no. Not only will they probably ruin it with some PC version, but having that tosser is the death knell. He hasn't made a decent film in years and his 4th Die Hard was just a revolting piece of . I think he's been hanging out with Julia too long.

Nah Matt Damon would have been the wrong choice, he doesn't suit that movie

Agreed, but I was going by the list of considered actors, of which he is the best suited. Willis is a has been relying on his reputation. He's also way too old. I guess the film producers don't look at the actor for anything but "star power". It's like when they had young actresses pretending to be enamoured of the geriatric Harrison Ford- pathetic.

Problem with reviving old films that were popular is that they think they have to have a big star to make people go see them.

The Magnificent 7 was one such, loaded with stars and "diverse" as any film ever ( even had the requisite kick ass "strong" woman ), but it was a lemon, IMO.

It's time they started making original films again, and stopped raiding the archives.

I'm expecting "old Yeller" to be appearing again, but with a girl, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

She deserved the award, but she is a <deleted> for thinking that makes her an authority on anything.

Funny ( not haha ) how those bimbos can ponce around on the red carpet on their 12 inch heels, with their boobs falling out and then winge on about how men treat them like sex objects.

Here's a thought- how about not going up to men's hotel rooms by yourselves when you don't know them?

Yeah I've got nothing against her winning it or women's equality come to that but it was clearly a rehearsed cringe moment that fitted in quite well with the other 999 rehearsed cringeworthy speeches/ gestures. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, scubascuba3 said:
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, thaibeachlovers said:
Agreed, but I was going by the list of considered actors, of which he is the best suited. Willis is a has been relying on his reputation. He's also way too old. I guess the film producers don't look at the actor for anything but "star power". It's like when they had young actresses pretending to be enamoured of the geriatric Harrison Ford- pathetic.
Problem with reviving old films that were popular is that they think they have to have a big star to make people go see them.
The Magnificent 7 was one such, loaded with stars and "diverse" as any film ever ( even had the requisite kick ass "strong" woman ), but it was a lemon, IMO.
It's time they started making original films again, and stopped raiding the archives.
I'm expecting "old Yeller" to be appearing again, but with a girl, of course.

If they had chosen an unknown actor the film would have been a nothing movie, they needed one big name. Sadly no one on that list matches charles Bronson

Don't know if you noticed, but there is a disgusting trend to put a big name actor in a movie and promote him to sell the movie, but he is a very minor character and all the actual parts are played by unknown actors. Deceitful way to make a movie sell.

Unfortunately, Willis is probably the main character in this Death Wish. I went to the cinema yesterday and the choice was between death Wish and Red Sparrow. I saw the latter and happy to have done so, even if it does have Jennifer Lawrence showing her boobs and simulating sex a lot ( not a turn on though, given the situations she did so in ).

Leading actresses flashing booty and boobs seems to be de rigeur these days, what with Lawrence in that film, and Sally Hawkins having it off in the altogether with fishman.

Don't know if you noticed, but there is a disgusting trend to put a big name actor in a movie and promote him to sell the movie, but he is a very minor character and all the actual parts are played by unknown actors. Deceitful way to make a movie sell.
Unfortunately, Willis is probably the main character in this Death Wish. I went to the cinema yesterday and the choice was between death Wish and Red Sparrow. I saw the latter and happy to have done so, even if it does have Jennifer Lawrence showing her boobs and simulating sex a lot ( not a turn on though, given the situations she did so in ).
Leading actresses flashing booty and boobs seems to be de rigeur these days, what with Lawrence in that film, and Sally Hawkins having it off in the altogether with fishman.
Yes loads of unrecognizable actors and one big name, makes sense really.
I watched Tomb Raider today, surprisingly good. Rated 7.8 on IMDB