Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

44 minutes ago, tebee said:

It's not that the EU don't want a solution - indeed they have prescribed a legal remedy to  condondrum in the negotiation documents we have already agreed to.

The problem was every British suggestion was either impractical  or illegal 

See  

The EU should just leave it to the UK and Ireland to resolve. Mind you, the current Taoiseach would probably be just as obstructive, judging by his attitude toward the UK.

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

And that meets your aspirations?

God help us!

No not my aspirations but it meets the needs of people who are unable to provide for their old age, unfortunately it also meets the needs of those who could have provided for their old age but didn't.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Well thats a good idea, lets stick another tier of government on top

of our tiers. Who do think is going to pay for that lot?

In the case of governments, less is more.

Get real. This obsession with salaries is a joke. What is the total as a percentage of GDP? Less than a peanut.

16 minutes ago, aright said:

Try Spanish

You are joking, aren’t you?

After Brexit, it will be no longer cheaper (or, probably, legally possible) to holiday in Spain and Blackpool will once again be the First Resort of Empire.

the only reason for speaking Spanish will be to converse with our partners in The Argentine, and the like

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The EU should just leave it to the UK and Ireland to resolve. Mind you, the current Taoiseach would probably be just as obstructive, judging by his attitude toward the UK.

He has no choice.  Ireland can no longer elect to be a smuggler’s paradise to the detriment of their partners in the EU than can non-EU countries like Norway or the Isle of Man

10 minutes ago, Grouse said:
50 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Well thats a good idea, lets stick another tier of government on top

of our tiers. Who do think is going to pay for that lot?

In the case of governments, less is more.

Get real. This obsession with salaries is a joke. What is the total as a percentage of GDP? Less than a peanut.

Not only salaries; there are plenty of other costs associated with the EU. Don't forget the monthly jaunt to Strasbourg, including packing up contents of all the lawmakers' offices in Brussels and trucking it 220 miles, and then returning to Brussels a few weeks later. Something like £150m per year cost?

Plus that's a huge convoy of lorries chucking pollution into the air on a 440 mile round trip.

Ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

Not only salaries; there are plenty of other costs associated with the EU. Don't forget the monthly jaunt to Strasbourg, including packing up contents of all the lawmakers' offices in Brussels and trucking it 220 miles, and then returning to Brussels a few weeks later. Something like £150m per year cost?

Plus that's a huge convoy of lorries chucking pollution into the air on a 440 mile round trip.

Ridiculous.

I’d sooner scrap Formula 1.

Sometimes my wife brings more luggage than I think is strictly necessary, but I don’t think that is grounds for divorce, or even an admissable contribution

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Its not the salaries, that is the tip of the iceberg.  The UK government

couldn't make a profit out of a jumble sale. Mismanagement and

waste are the hallmarks of the 30% of the population employed in

some form of government.

When a working man earns 1 GBp, he will have appox.10p to call

his own at the end of the week. 

The UK government has become an expensive monster.

Reality check.

22 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Let’s go the Full Monty, and start a war.  People will be poorer, but happier, united in a common purpose.  Spirit through adversity, strength through joy!

After you Cecil.

3 hours ago, aright said:

I agree under Commission rules  there is no need to get an endorsement because the EU is not democratic. Can you tell me what part I played in this process, because that's integral to the democratic process and my requirement for the society in which I live. You obviously are happy living in a non democratic state and that's fine but I am not and is one of my reasons for leaving.   I do complain about the loss of democracy the only lack of argument regarding that being yours. 

You vote for your local MP, a party with a relative majority wins and they get to choose their party leader who gets to be the Prime Minister of the UK and select their cabinet and write legislature, is it democratic so far?  Our PM and all the other EU member heads of states are the 28 seats of the European Council, it is they who set the general political direction of the EU.  You also vote for an MEP, they will be in a group, the winning group gets the European Commission presidency, the remaining 27 seats of the Commission are nominated by each member of the European Council.  The Commission is the cabinet, it is made up of one Commissioner for every member country, each member of the Council, the heads of state, proposing one each. Cameron who was our Council seat at the time nominated our Commission member, Julian King.  Normally the Council choose politicians from popular parties in their country, that is the expectation but they do not have to be a politician, Cameron chose a diplomat for the Brexit era Commission seat.  We are actually the only state who currently does not have a democratically elected Commissioner.  The Council used to do the role of the Commission until the Lisbon treaty, and there is a difference in terms of democracy between our PM being our Commissioner and our PM choosing our Commissioner, but nothing like the difference between having a system where a party with a relative majority get to call all the shots and a system where a winning group in a coalition only get to veto others nominations for their cabinet, and all legislature has to be made in conjunction with and ultimately pass parliament.  Its clear which is more democratic, the EU isn't perfect by any means, but it is better than the UK system.

Edited by Kieran00001
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Its not the salaries, that is the tip of the iceberg.  The UK government

couldn't make a profit out of a jumble sale. Mismanagement and

waste are the hallmarks of the 30% of the population employed in

some form of government.

When a working man earns 1 GBp, he will have appox.10p to call

his own at the end of the week. 

The UK government has become an expensive monster.

Reality check.

Thank goodness for the EU, eh?

After Brexit, we’ll be free to plumb the depths of incompetence, stupidity, corruption and depravity on our own.  We could be the next Zimbabwe!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, aright said:

No not my aspirations but it meets the needs of people who are unable to provide for their old age, unfortunately it also meets the needs of those who could have provided for their old age but didn't.

I can feel the warmth of your generosity from here ?

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Ridiculous.

Absolutely ridiculous and it must stop immediately

However this obsession with salaries, however obscene, is a triviality. 

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I'm no polyglot; only quadrilingual I'm sorry to say ?

That's a shame. I got a GCE in Trigonometry. If you have problems pm me I will sine you up for one of my courses. 

• Like 1

I think we can all choose our own adjective to describe the Windrush issue and I choose  shameful.

I don't think, as some have suggested, it was a Racist Policy to blame, more a completely thoughtless, insensitive administrative cock-up driven by an incompetent succession of Home Secretary's ending with Amber Rudd.

The UK are very welcoming to legal immigrants.

A Mori Poll last year showed 40% of British voters felt legal  immigration had a positive impact . This compared with 18% in Germany, 14% in France and 10% in Italy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

I'm no polyglot; only quadrilingual I'm sorry to say ?

I'll not bore you with the full joke but the punchline is:

... and the other policeman replies to him 'I don't know why [we would learn another language].  That bloke spoke five, and it didn't do him any good".

• Haha 2