Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Save your faux outrage and see my response, above. He is othering Italian Roma. He distinguishes between those who are documented and those who are not, but still expresses contempt for his own countrymen who happen to be from an ethnic minority.

I repeat - it is shocking that this is happening in a European country, and equally shocking that I need to point this out to you.

I suggest you google ‘outrage’ because you don’t appear to understand the meaning of the word.

I am not in the least bit outraged, you are the one displaying all the outrage. However, I agree that ‘faux’ is certainly the correct adjective to precede your outrage with.

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:17 AM, aright said:

Northern Ireland consists of just 2.9% of the British population . Like the rest of us they had a vote in the referendumand they should accept the outcome or leave the UK. They need to sort out their own issues rather than expect the 97.1% of the UK who don't live in NI to bend over backwards to accommodate them.

I will however pass on the feelings of your green passport mate to TM so she can plan accordingly. 

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Show me where I ever mentioned the percentages that you keep banging on about. It should be about principles and these were her words.

"It means we believe in the Union: the precious, precious bond between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. But it means something else that is just as important; it means we believe in a union not just between the nations of the United Kingdom but between all of our citizens, every one of us, whoever we are and wherever we’re from."

Now tell me where your precious bond has gone.

You didn't mention them I did  in support of the 97% Brits which you seem to think warrants equal attention with the  3% NI  population Can I repeat

Northern Ireland consists of just 2.9% of the British population . Like the rest of us they had a vote in the referendum and they should accept the outcome or leave the UK. They need to sort out their own issues rather than expect the 97.1% of the UK who don't live in NI to bend over backwards to accommodate them. If you disagree with this you have yet to present your case.

A few posts ago you paraphrased TM as saying we are a union of equals then give us her quote which refers to bonds but makes no mention of equality.  

Away with your pettiness.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

How on earth did this turn into a thread about Italy's roma???

At the end of the day, the brits. voted to leave - and we're now looking at how the uk govt. is handling the matter - even though they would prefer to 'remain'.

Er, many Brexiters have an irrational desire to see the EU fail?

16 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I think employment and unemployment should managed separately.

Unemployment should be tackled from the viewpoint of getting them into work - but not shoe-horning them in. There will always be a percentage who don't want to work - and that percentage may be 4% (I think I saw a good few of them in Benidorm last month!). People who show a desire to work, irrespective of age, should be encouraged to do so, with re-training programmes as appropriate.

Employment is a different matter and I could not vote for a system that put "British first". To me it sends the totally wrong message and actually sounds racist. I understand the principle of looking after our own, but without the industrious Poles the haulage industry would have had serious problems and, as you said, fruit picking etc too. It also seems that the majority of jobs in catering are taken by East Europeans. Now, that must be for a reason..... maybe they are prepared to work for lower wages... maybe they are just better workers. An employer must have the right to employ the best person for the job irrespective of colour or creed, quota or favour.

There are other issues, of course, and I also agree with Billd about deferred access to the NHS and the benefit system.

I don’t think that they are better workers, though they will certainly work for lower pay. That is why the employers want them. Unfortunately when you have unrestricted immigration from lower paying Eastern European countries, this tends to keep the wages of the lower paid down. However if your in a skilled or restricted occupation, you can take  a selfish attitude and think I’m alright Jack, hard luck on you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tebee said:

Another of my occasional questions for the leavers on here.

I think very soon international companies are going to start announcing the closure of their British operations   and their relocation to mainland Europe.

Will this change the general public's view of Brexit ?

How many job losses would it take to change your own view?

OK I realize this is in some ways a " when did you stop beating your wife" question, but I'd still like your opinion on what would change if it happens.   

When will it ever end.

62882C2B-DA80-4D7F-AB6D-FF571227872F.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Show me where I ever mentioned the percentages that you keep banging on about. It should be about principles and these were her words.

"It means we believe in the Union: the precious, precious bond between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. But it means something else that is just as important; it means we believe in a union not just between the nations of the United Kingdom but between all of our citizens, every one of us, whoever we are and wherever we’re from."

Now tell me where your precious bond has gone.

If 100% of NI had voted remain it would have made no difference to the referendum. Far better they are reunited with Eire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I suggest you google ‘outrage’ because you don’t appear to understand the meaning of the word.

I am not in the least bit outraged, you are the one displaying all the outrage. However, I agree that ‘faux’ is certainly the correct adjective to precede your outrage with.

I wonder if IBM will get the contract for the new databases in Italy and Hungary?

• Like 1

I wonder if IBM will get the contract for the new databases in Italy and Hungary?

2 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Perhaps it was destroyed in 2014 when Scotland tried to break up the Union ?

Sorry,but you are wrong. Scotland did not try to break up the union, that was an attempt by the SNP and their bigoted supporters.

F6E26BC9-E090-443D-84D0-E9C5E2E0A1DB.jpeg

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, nontabury said:

Sorry,but you are wrong. Scotland did not try to break up the union, that was an attempt by the SNP and their bigoted supporters.

Happy to be corrected, but I thought that Scotland had a Referendum in 2014 to break up the Union ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Not sure what relevance your comment has as a response to mine, have you replied to me in error old bean ?

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Not sure what relevance your comment has as a response to mine, have you replied to me in error old bean ?

Well as you know everything I'm sure you can see the connection.

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

All of them? Some of them? Which ones benefit from your support? Euratom?

The EU Parliament and the EU Commission for starters.

Either they are not needed, or National Parliaments are not needed.

Let me remind you of one of your heroes 

I look forward to the day when the Westminster Parliament is just a council chamber in Europe.” Kenneth Clarke MP.

How sad that he will never see it ??

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Well as you know everything I'm sure you can see the connection.

There you go again Grouse, snide personal insults; luckily for you, I do not share your predilection for reporting such matters, I have a decent chin.

So, now, whenever you respond to me, I am left to guess as to which comment you are responding to. Was it in this particular instance a comment I made on the 13th June ?

20 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

There you go again Grouse, snide personal insults; luckily for you, I do not share your predilection for reporting such matters, I have a decent chin.

So, now, whenever you respond to me, I am left to guess as to which comment you are responding to. Was it in this particular instance a comment I made on the 13th June ?

One of the first things extreme right wing populists did in 30s was to assemble databases containing essential information on Jews, Roma and others. IBM won the contract based on Hollerith code punch cards

Edited by Grouse

48 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

The EU Parliament and the EU Commission for starters.

Either they are not needed, or National Parliaments are not needed.

Let me remind you of one of your heroes 

How sad that he will never see it ??

Well our parliament doesn't seem to have much sovereignty does it ?

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Well our parliament doesn't seem to have much sovereignty does it ?

You are learning. That is because it is hamstrung by Brussels.

Although this is not a reflection on my comment above. It must be considered as one of the factors

More than half of people living in democracies worldwide think their voice is “rarely” or “never” heard in politics, according to a new study published Thursday.

8 of the Top 10 are EU Countries.

Nine of the 10 worst-performing countries when it comes to “political voice” — the perception among citizens that their voice matters — are all democracies: Japan, Poland, France, Austria, Portugal, Norway, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium.

https://www.politico.eu/article/democracy-europe-citizens-disillusioned-poll/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

You are learning. That is because it is hamstrung by Brussels.

Although this is not a reflection on my comment above. It must be considered as one of the factors

8 of the Top 10 are EU Countries.

https://www.politico.eu/article/democracy-europe-citizens-disillusioned-poll/

Interesting. Only 25% of countries polled however and I note they don't give the "bottom" 10 if you get my meaning. Oddly, I visited the ABBA museum in Stockholm today, out of intellectual curiosity. I can confirm that the 10 bottom is still 10!

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

If 100% of NI had voted remain it would have made no difference to the referendum. Far better they are reunited with Eire.

Unification does make a lot of sense to those of us unaffected. But the unionists in NI would disagree strongly. I think it's less than a third of the NI population that would support unification?

Anyway, we're not going to solve the Irish issue on here.

Edited by CG1 Blue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

I don’t think that they are better workers, though they will certainly work for lower pay. That is why the employers want them. Unfortunately when you have unrestricted immigration from lower paying Eastern European countries, this tends to keep the wages of the lower paid down. However if your in a skilled or restricted occupation, you can take  a selfish attitude and think I’m alright Jack, hard luck on you.

In in many cases they are better workers - I have personal experience of that.

Bloody good hand car washers as well.

Unrelated to ‘unrestricted economic migration” which needs addressing separately.

I didn’t vote Brexit to keep other Europeans out; I voted, in part for Brexit, to have control over the numbers coming in.

Edited by Jip99