Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Well, if you really want the methodology here it is, you won't understand the mechanics of it but you can always look at the pictures. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-brexit-barometer/

Thanks for the reference. Finally.

I expect that you will be disappointed to find that I do understand it; although I would not necessarily agree with all of the methodology. Here's the whole thing from Y2K:

image.png.a106d04abb677dbd5514849e7e057e9d.png

In the explanation and notes there is no mention of a par value, especially one of 100! In fact it says: the higher above zero the index is, the better off Britons are economically; the farther below zero, the worse off they are.

This is a simple enough chart and the reference (dotted line) is zero. I hope that you can grasp that one day?

To have to correct your mistakes all the time it getting tedious. You really must try better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

I expect that you will be disappointed to find that I do understand it; although I would not necessarily agree with all of the methodology. Here's the whole thing from Y2K:

In the explanation and notes there is no mention of a par value, especially one of 100! In fact it says: the higher above zero the index is, the better off Britons are economically; the farther below zero, the worse off they are.

This is a simple enough chart and the reference (dotted line) is zero. I hope that you can grasp that one day?

To have to correct your mistakes all the time it getting tedious. You really must try better.

So you missed the part about the long term average or par, I'm not surprised, like I said you're not equipped for this debate, stick to changing tyres perhaps.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, aright said:

A slight spelling gaffe.

I think you meant compost mental

I'm 100% cool if you guys want to attack the poster rather than the third party material that's posted, in fact I encourage you to keep doing so, if that turns you on. Doing that does nothing more than confirm your inability to debate relevant material on a sensible level and the wider audience sees that in spades, all of which does wonders for the credibility of the average Brexit supporters. And don't get me started on graphs, ignoring 99.9% of relevant content and focussing on the value of x-scales, puleeeeze! That might actually be interesting were it not for the source of the argument which makes it laughable.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm 100% cool if you guys want to attack the poster rather than the third party material that's posted, in fact I encourage you to keep doing so, if that turns you on. Doing that does nothing more than confirm your inability to debate relevant material on a sensible level and the wider audience sees that in spades, all of which does wonders for the credibility of the average Brexit supporters. And don't get me started on graphs, ignoring 99.9% of relevant content and focussing on the value of x-scales, puleeeeze! That might actually be interesting were it not for the source of the argument which makes it laughable.

:smile:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

This par100 graph nonsense was started by you. It has now backfired. Even your limited fanbase is keeping well clear. 

Gosh, I'm late for happy hour. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nauseus said:

This par100 graph nonsense was started by you. It has now backfired. Even your limited fanbase is keeping well clear. 

Gosh, I'm late for happy hour. Cheers.

No, you aren't equipped to address any of the myriad of issues contained in the article so instead, you try to debate a non-Brexit topic by attacking the Bloomberg graph and debating things you don't understand. It's a great but very stale and predictable deflection tactic. Happy hour, don't you need to be over 16 to participate!

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, aright said:

I think we have a small noisy tantrum on our hands.

I think what we have is a very strong desire amongst many people who participate and view this thread, to change the foundations of the thread. The debate is about Brexit that's clear, the style of the debate though leaves much to be desired, simply it's not a debate as we know it, Jim! If the debate is going to disregard all third-party inputs from reliable and valid sources, that needs to be stated explicitly because that's exactly what's happening at present.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Equally sad you can't spell weasel. Both Greece and the EU were quilty from the outset w.r.t. Euro. 

Not as sad as you not knowing how to spell guilty while correcting my spelling.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Learn the language.

"Getting Quilty"......like sleeping in  bed together."

Humourous of course, in part, but timing is everything. Significantly, I think that pretty much sums up the nature and worth of this "debate" as a semi-serious topic.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I 'm almost certain you won't have clicked on the Bloomberg link I supplied earlier but really you should, it's a very well written piece that covers lots of different aspects of the economy and the things that are being talked about here.

Dundee cake is a famous traditional Scottish fruit cake with a rich flavour.[1][2]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aright said:

How many prominent Remainers in this thread wax lyrical about the delights of living in the EU as a significant issue then choose to live in Thailand.  I can think of more than two The only comparison I can see is both Government and Commission are unaccountable. 

Just got back from Beach Road  after a significant rain storm. Ah! The smell of raw sewage.

Don't even think of including me in that short list. I'm not actually chained in bondage here but if it wasn't for kids I'd be gone ?

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

You just mean that I don't say what you want me to say.

The trend is there but the x-scale is meaningless. Got a barometer for Greece?

Sorry to be a party pooper but the Y axis scale is undefined, the X axis is time. Now Bloomberg units/ratios or whatever are clearly a scalar measurement. They should define these. Showing movement about a central axis labelled 100 is fine but define the units.

Now this is a longstanding gripe of mine. Financial media should ALWAYS show the origin and scale graphs accordingly. How do they expect anyone, let alone Brexiters to understand W tf their graphical representation means otherwise? Use a Log plot if necessary. (Yes, not only beavers use logs!)

Pound steady around 1.4 against  USD. Euro about 1.23 I think. 

Meanwhile the ECB crashes on with QE.

Not really my currencies though. I prefer doubloons.

1.40 and 1.14 to TWO DECIMAL PLACES according to XE mid points.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

No, you aren't equipped to address any of the myriad of issues contained in the article so instead, you try to debate a non-Brexit topic by attacking the Bloomberg graph and debating things you don't understand. It's a great but very stale and predictable deflection tactic. Happy hour, don't you need to be over 16 to participate!

Myriad of issues now! Here is you first post directing us to your par100 graph~

An up to date look at how well the economy has been doing since 2015, there's a picture part way down, a graph under the heading, Brexit, an Economic Burden, : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-27/brexit-is-a-year-away-here-s-what-s-happening-in-the-u-k

I'm not attacking the graph but I bet you got that par 100 number from the data level (around 100) at the start of the plotted time range section given in the report!    

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Sorry to be a party pooper but the Y axis scale is undefined, the X axis is time. Now Bloomberg units/ratios or whatever are clearly a scalar measurement. They should define these. Showing movement about a central axis labelled 100 is fine but define the units.

Now this is a longstanding gripe of mine. Financial media should ALWAYS show the origin and scale graphs accordingly. How do they expect anyone, let alone Brexiters to understand W tf their graphical representation means otherwise? Use a Log plot if necessary. (Yes, not only beavers use logs!)

Poop accepted.  Got my X's and Y's confused. But have a closer look at the 19 year graph and what I have written. The reference is 0.

You can see the full "barometer" at 

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-brexit-barometer/

When at the chart, select the "since 2000: tab.

The methodology is all better explained on this page.

The name Brexit Barometer must have been recently adopted, as the same source data is there from at least 2000.

Edited by nauseus

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Well, if you really want the methodology here it is, you won't understand the mechanics of it but you can always look at the pictures. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-brexit-barometer/

All good stuff! Nice they explain standard deviation! However, they do not define the units. As a pedant I would like to see that; maybe proprietary.

Again, I hate those plots with no origin. I guess you guys are used to them but they lose all context

Edited by Grouse

Interesting plot

You can see the 2008/9 crisis and the Brexit vote crisis

The labels are confused (possibly intentionally)

Overall result is that, post Brexit, we are flatlining

It makes no difference using zero or 100 for a reference point (or 99 or -13!). It's just for ease of interpretation.

• Haha 1