Sorry But Crap Food Again

thaiflyer1

Newly opened "Big Al's" corner of Soi Chaiyapoon and Bourkhao................gave it a try tonight...........

..............not impressed, but maybe thats just me........food bland..........i tried the Burritto's, Tacos and the chicken and chips.................only thing passable was the chicken.

Now i know there are a few posters who rave about " Big Al's" in other locations ............so give this location a shot..........maybe its just me with no sense of taste!...... :o

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the same chain of 'Big Al's' that is opposite BIG C festival centre, that sells tacos etc? Not noticed it yet on Soi Chayapoon...........

Yes the same chain, there is a photo of Al on the wall behind the counter.

Maybe "crap food" was a bit harsh it just didn't hit the spot with me thats all.

Its located under the new go-go right on the corner of Chaiyapoon and Bourkhao..........you may of missed it because the display obscures the sign somewhat, first time i went past i thought it said Picals rather than Big als. :o

Their food is not good. Why be wishy washy about it? Are restaurants charities?

I wish people offering Mexican food in Thailand would either do it correctly, or not do it at all. It is a food type that has a terrible rep in Thailand. There is no reason why Thailand can't have good Mexican food in all its big cities, just like it has decent British food and decent Italian food. Mexican food is truly one of the great food cultures in the world and it is very distinctive and unique. Thailand deserves a taste, not a distortion.

Edited by Jingthing

Then go and make a Mexican restaurant to show all of us how it is done. Try doing something different here and see how difficult it is. It is truely exhausting to try and make changes in this land of great food. I have had his food at three of his restaurants and have re-visited them all. Is it the same as eating in Chula Vista? No, it is not. Am I happy to eat there and at the other Mexican restaurants in the city? Yes, I am.

If it has only recently opened, give it another week to get sorted, and then open another thrread asking others who may have more recently eaten there how they liked it. If they respond positively, then give it another try. If they don't, then try some of the other places which are really not that bad.

When in Thailand.... eat Mexican!

What would possess anyone to eat in a western-style franchised fast-food outlet with so many other delicious options available in LOS?

BTW, Mexican cuisine is generally bland and tasteless... I worked there for several months. The Tex-Mex variation is probably what most westerners are familiar with and that can be spectacularly good or devastatingly bad even in the US. I have a buddy in Chicago who would cherish the Houston visits and load up at Taco Cabana as the junk served up north was so poor. Has anyone eaten at the 'Mexican' restaurant at SFO airport? :o Another couple living in Fort Myers head straight for Fajita Flats when in Houston because the FL dross holds no comparison.

So if Mexico and most of the continental US has bad Mexican food, what hope for Pattaya?

NanLaew, Do you live in Thailand? Expats often get a craving for foods other than Thai food and also of course some of the wonderful foods they miss from "home."

Other than that, your post is beyond bizarre. Anybody who knows good Mexican food from Mexico or heavily Mexican areas of the US knows that Mexican food is most certainly not generally bland and tasteless. Of course, there are bad Mexican restaurants in the US and Mexico though.

takethischileandstuffit.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

I wish people offering Mexican food in Thailand would either do it correctly, or not do it at all. It is a food type that has a terrible rep in Thailand. There is no reason why Thailand can't have good Mexican food in all its big cities, just like it has decent British food and decent Italian food. Mexican food is truly one of the great food cultures in the world and it is very distinctive and unique. Thailand deserves a taste, not a distortion.

Only just spotted that.

It did give me a good giggle as I flipped the top of one more beer chang.

I’m a brit my self, but think we need to keep a bit of a low profile when it comes down to food and cooking.

:o

I think there is a fair chance the fajitas are passable at the Great American Rib Company on Tepprasit between Thapraya and Sukhumwit. Their quesadillas were decent enough. No guac though.

Thank you. I'll give them a try and report back.

NanLaew, Do you live in Thailand? Expats often get a craving for foods other than Thai food and also of course some of the wonderful foods they miss from "home."

Other than that, your post is beyond bizarre. Anybody who knows good Mexican food from Mexico or heavily Mexican areas of the US knows that Mexican food is most certainly not generally bland and tasteless. Of course, there are bad Mexican restaurants in the US and Mexico though.

I agree with you. But I think Nan Laew was blurred by US "mexican food" which is surely not the same as mexican food. MexTex is the worst combination I have heard in food. Mexican food is wonderful, very tasty, healthy, spicy, great. Spoiled by Texans with huge quantities of grilled meat. It's ok with me, they like it, but it's not mexican...

Joe

I lived in Pattaya for over 10 years, back when Nacho Noi's was the ONLY Mexican restaurant in town. As a professional international gypsy, I truly appreciate the need for some 'home cooking' now and again.

I worked in 3 different areas of Mexico for about 7 months, living and working with Mexicans in mostly rural locations.

I lived in Houston for the better part of 12 years.

The difference I refer to in my post is between what most non-Mexican people know as Mexican which is invariably what they have eaten in "Mexican" restaurants but is actually Tex-Mex cuisine. Mexican food (in Mexico) is generally bland whereas Tex-Mex is usually excellent.

What else do you need to know about the difference between Mexican or Tex-Mex?

I lived in Pattaya for over 10 years, back when Nacho Noi's was the ONLY Mexican restaurant in town. As a professional international gypsy, I truly appreciate the need for some 'home cooking' now and again.

I worked in 3 different areas of Mexico for about 7 months, living and working with Mexicans in mostly rural locations.

I lived in Houston for the better part of 12 years.

The difference I refer to in my post is between what most non-Mexican people know as Mexican which is invariably what they have eaten in "Mexican" restaurants but is actually Tex-Mex cuisine. Mexican food (in Mexico) is generally bland whereas Tex-Mex is usually excellent.

What else do you need to know about the difference between Mexican or Tex-Mex?

You are absolutely right, mexican food is very different from mex/tex

Joe

Big Al here, new poster. Just thought I'd say hi and ask what all the fuss is about. As far as my burritos being too small; my small burritos have 70 grams of meat inside, the large 140. I'm at my new stand most of the evening, if you have a legitamit complaint I'll see what i can do to fix the problem.

For those who feel the need to bring up qualifications; I grew up in Los Angeles. Worked at Mexican food joints since I was 13.

Big Al here, new poster. Just thought I'd say hi and ask what all the fuss is about. As far as my burritos being too small; my small burritos have 70 grams of meat inside, the large 140. I'm at my new stand most of the evening, if you have a legitamit complaint I'll see what i can do to fix the problem.

For those who feel the need to bring up qualifications; I grew up in Los Angeles. Worked at Mexican food joints since I was 13.

Well i gave it another go last night ............tried the burger and chicken and chips again this time.

No complaints over the burger and the chicken as i said before was fine..............might be that mexican food just isn't my cup of tea.

Didn't see you there by the way......this was about 12am

At least you know the new stand has been noticed.

Welcome to Thaivisa . :o

I agree 100% with what you say about Mexican food. It's one of the easiest and simplest foods on the planet yet most people here seem to get it very wrong and I don't understand why. There again, I know several Thai restaurants that can't prepare even decent Cow Pad Gai! But what you said about the existence of decent English food, isn't that a contradiction in terms!

I think I have offended Big Al. He is very BIG. I am afraid ...

I only had one experience with Big Al's eatery, the one across from Big C.

I had a burrito.

Now Big Al says he is from LA, and I know LA has mucho gente Mexicano, but my experience with Mexican food is mostly the Latino Mission District of San Francisco. I can assure you if Big Al tried to peddle what I ate as a burrito there, he wouldn't last a month. Nobody would buy it, because it would be the worse burrito in town. What was wrong with it? Everything. It just wasn't good. It was food, I'll grant you that, and it didn't give me food poisoning (and considering the setting and "atmosphere" that was a welcome surprise). Like saying an actor remembered his lines.

Edited by Jingthing

Everybody is welcome to thier opinion, and I know everybody is not going to like my food. But I will say that my Big C stand has been open over 2 years and has grossed nearly 2 million baht in a year. Not bad for crap food.

I think I have offended Big Al. He is very BIG. I am afraid ...

I meet Big Al, and you are right, he is one big SOB. I would just run if he was ever mad at me. Seriously, he is a really nice guy. I am glad to hear his restaurant is still doing well. I ate there once, but I am not down there often so I have not had an opportunity to try it again. I wish him luck though, I liked Big Al.

Everybody is welcome to thier opinion, and I know everybody is not going to like my food. But I will say that my Big C stand has been open over 2 years and has grossed nearly 2 million baht in a year. Not bad for crap food.

Those one offs do add up!

Remember, Pattaya is an international beach resort and many eateries rely on the tourist trade. Same all over the world. Beach resorts have many restaurants serving mediocre food because they can get away with it.

I am sure the Russians enjoy your burritos.

Not saying you are running a bad business. It is a fine model for a business. But people looking for real good taste have a right to know the score. By your logic (sales figures), McDonalds has great food.

Edited by Jingthing

So you think people are wrong in

stating the burritos are a bit small.

Up to Them.

they are your customers.

Rememer Al, The customer is always right.

Or is just, Thai style Logic we have here? :D

:o

He weighs out the meat and sets his price. The price is the price. You can't please everyone.

BigAl, I'll be down there some time soon to try some of your mexican food first hand. What are you open hours?

Not saying you are running a bad business. It is a fine model for a business. But people looking for real good taste have a right to know the score. By your logic (sales figures), McDonalds has great food.

Come on; How many of us have ever eaten in a Michelin three star restaurant in our whole lives?

Most of us are not gourmets and don't pretend to be. We just want something that tastes good and is not too unhealthy and is not too expensive.

McDonalds is reasonably priced, it tastes pretty good - which is why it sells so well - and is not unhealthy if eaten in moderation.

Some of us eat caviar and champayne for every meal, but for the rest of us, McDonalds - or Big Als - makes a nice change from Pad Thai every once in a while. :o