Backlash as top cop says pay your traffic fines or face further tax disc trouble

webfact

Backlash as top cop says pay your traffic fines or face further tax disc trouble

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A highways department policeman has hit back at scurrilous online reports that motorists need not pay fines that result from roadside cameras.

It was claimed online that these kind of fines could just be ignored.

Pol Col Ekkarat Limsangkat, a deputy commander of the highways department, told Thai Rath Online that the posts about not paying fines were an incitement to break the law.

It was not clear whether action would be taken against those responsible.

What was clear were Ekkarat's pronouncements on fines. He said that all fines - include those derived from cameras - had to be paid or tax discs could not be renewed.

The police send all unpaid fines to the department of land transport, he said. If fines were outstanding when tax was due to be paid it would be impossible to extend the tax disc.

A thirty day period would be given to pay the fine or fines still due.

If they were still not paid after that it would be impossible to get a tax disc for a year and a fine of up to 2,000 baht could be levied, he said.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-28

They have been and are taking action. Few years back I was doing the annual registration on my truck and was informed I couldn't until a speeding ticket was paid in Bangkok. A camera got me there a year prior but I hadn't changed the trucks registration address (we moved) at the time so I just plain didn't know. I live up north so that was a pita fine to pay. 

4 hours ago, Lungstib said:

So now you will have drivers who didn't pay their fine, didn't get their tax so have no insurance. They think this helps?

Good point, and the reality is that the officials should emphasize the attached points when they comment.

Further, friends of my outer circle Thai family swap the tax / land transport sticker across vehicles if they travel outside of their home district, hoping that if stopped the cops will not realize the characters and numbers on the reg. plate don't match what's on the paper sticker.

And they claim the local head rtp honcho has told them it's OK to do this.

• Like 1

"The police send all unpaid fines to the department of land transport....."

That's what they call, "Passing the buck".  If they don't pay the fines, the BiB need to get of their behinds and confiscate the vehicles until the fines are paid.  Then release the vehicle, only on production of a valid insurance policy and tax disc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lungstib said:

So now you will have drivers who didn't pay their fine, didn't get their tax so have no insurance. They think this helps?

10% of the motobikes on the road here in BKK has no licenseplate at all, so they also can't get fines.

5 hours ago, Moti24 said:

"The police send all unpaid fines to the department of land transport....."

That's what they call, "Passing the buck".  If they don't pay the fines, the BiB need to get of their behinds and confiscate the vehicles until the fines are paid.  Then release the vehicle, only on production of a valid insurance policy and tax disc.

Wouldn't there have to be a law that allows the police to do that?

17 hours ago, wirat69 said:

The trouble one has to go to to pay the fines is, imho, a problem. Nearby no ATM with relevant sticker, no account at KTB... so I go to Post Office... if it were more simple I would be very happy!!

Don't break the law and you won't have to go to "the trouble" in the first place. Simple ... it's not rocket science!