Wireless Network Adapter: Usb Vs. Pci

PMK

Hmmm, I thought I replied to this yesterday, odd!

Anyway, PCI is the way to go, many (most) have detachable antennae so you can add a high-gain external antenna for better reception.

EDIT AH, a duplicate thread, thought I was going senile.

Edited by Crossy

Since you're quite a distance away from the WAP, you will want to get the wireless adapter's antenna up high and in a window or even outside on the window ledge. I agree with Crossy that a PCI is the best way to go but only if you can find one like this that has an "extendible" antenna. Otherwise, get a USB wireless adapter and buy a USB extension cable if it doesn't come supplied with one like this one does.

I have the Linksys WUSB54GP shown in the third link. Recently, I was visiting in a room about 100 meters from where the WAP was located in another building. Luckily, I had a clear view of the lobby where I knew the WAP was located. By placing the WUSB54GP outside on the window ledge (the window was on the 3rd floor) I was able to achieve between 1 and 3 bars signal strength.

Edited by Rice_King

Since you're quite a distance away from the WAP, you will want to get the wireless adapter's antenna up high and in a window or even outside on the window ledge. I agree with Crossy that a PCI is the best way to go but only if you can find one like this that has an "extendible" antenna. Otherwise, get a USB wireless adapter and buy a USB extension cable if it doesn't come supplied with one like this one does.

I have the Linksys WUSB54GP shown in the third link. Recently, I was visiting in a room about 100 meters from where the WAP was located in another building. Luckily, I had a clear view of the lobby where I knew the WAP was located. By placing the WUSB54GP outside on the window ledge (the window was on the 3rd floor) I was able to achieve between 1 and 3 bars signal strength.

you can buy directional antenna, a bit like mini sat dish, the are very good for picking up distant wifi hotspots

I knew I should have mentioned that cost was a priority also - don't know why I left that out. Anyway, here is the whole story.

I have a Surecomm wireless LAN card - seemed like the only brand they sold at Tukcom Pattaya when I bought it. With two different WAPs, Zyxel and Dlink, even 3 meters away, reception is only 'good' (45%). I only got it up to good by switching the Channel Plan, whatever that is, to ETSI. Before that it was 'poor'. Tried both b and g modes. At 10 m signal drops out completely.

The WAP is upstairs. I want to put the workstation downstairs on the other side of the house, maybe a total of 15-17 m max.

Do you think this card is either simply crap or defective? Should a good card be able to maintain good bandwidth in my location? No point in buying something else if I will have the same problem.

Thanks,

Peter

Hmmm, at 3m or even 10m the signal should peg at 100% on its second time round!

I suspect your wireless card is dead or at least somewhat deaf. Time for a new one :o

If you're having the AP on a different floor, I'd go for a USB wireless, then you can wave it around on an extension for best reception.