How to get a driving licence in Thailand

I have a Canadian DL and would like to “transfer” this into a Thai DL but a bit confused about the process:

1. Can I just show up at Jatujak DLT and request this transfer (bringing along the medical certificate, etc.) or do I need to book in advance online via the DLT website/app?

2. If I need to use the booking system, which option do I pick? I have tried the “new driver” option but they are fully booked from now until December (the last day that is shown).

Like all such matters relaxingly flexible

One occasion request letter from Immi , take test , licences bike/car issued on spot

Secind occaion K Phet 555 baht with test 1000 baht no test at all , they just checked to see if money real

Third latest 

Asked Immi for letter, said you must ask LT  Office to write to them

So whole day long drive

They complied but did not notify me

Immi sent reply no to me but to LT Office

Vist 2 sat through an excrucaltingly  dull flim,  reaction and braking test and did color blindness 

All in and out in 3 shakes of a lambs tale well 2 hours plus 2 hour trip each way two times (our time ha no value to them).

Mae sure you have all docs, oddly they requested wifes ID too !

Luckily my nearest Office has a copy shop over the rd, no photos neede they take your picture so rmemebr however dishevelled/hungover you look that day it'll be on your licence for years (tale a comb if still blessed with flowing locks)

Amusingly the movie entirely in Thai was on quiet .

It was good solid advice on lane discipline and overtaking etc which no one seems to follow.

The rear view mirro if viewable at all due to garlands, atukom and other lucky charms is for make up and hanging phones!

I listened to some soohting music on my phone as all the very bored Thais about half a dozen including the Officer a very nice young lady played with their phones, just like in any lecture theatre ,cinema cafe or Drs waiting room.

My tip take a book to read in the queue, but as its a bit obvious during the long compulsary move wifi in ear heaadphones ...

Edited by RubbaJohnny
spellchick

5 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Like all such mmatters v flexible

One occasion request letter from Immi , take test , licences bike/car issued on spot

Secind occaion K Phet 555 baht with test 1000 baht no test at all , they just checked to see if money real

Third latest 

Asked Immi for letter, said you must ask LT  Office to write to them

So whole day long drive

They complied but did not notify me

Immi sent reply no to me but to LT Office

Vist 2 sat thru dull flim, pulled reaction test and did color blindness 

All in and out in 3 shakes of a lambs tale well 2 hours plus 2 hour trip each way two times (our time ha no value to them)

Amusingly the flim entirely in Thai was on quiet 

I listened to some sooting music on my phone as all teh Thais about half a dozen including teh Officer a very nice young lady played with their phones, just like in any cinea cafe or Drs waiting room.

My tip take a book to read in the queue, but as its a bit obvious during the long cmpulsary move wifi in ear heaadphones ...

Did you need to book an appointment in advance or just show up?

Just now, CanInBKK said:

Did you need to book an appointment in advance or just show up?

No appts here, Check with your local office probaly advisable esp due to Covid.

I reside in a sleepy low density area, perhaps in city may be good idea 

I think ussue may be getting letter from immigration at present?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 5:39 PM, fredob43 said:

Did mine a couple of days ago. Required is passport or ID. Proof of address, yellow book in my case.

Old D/Licenses. Fill in a form, just your name ID No: they do the rest. You will have to do a colour blind test, reaction time not asked for. Watch a film in Thai or as in my case watch it with English subtitles. Pay the amount 880bt for two licenses. Have photo taken. And they do the rest. Took just over an hour including watching the film. 

Where was this.  I'm in Lamlukka and have heard that some places are easier for expats to get their license than others.   Does anyone have a department or office location recommendation?

On 3/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, Trentham said:

I turned up a to do the test and found I had neglected to bring one document. The lady who assisted me was very helpful so next day when I turned up with the correct paperwork I took her a box of chocolates. When all of that days applicants were called in to the examination room she called out to the examiner that I was her friend. I was called aside and given my licence with no test - oral or driving.:smile:

your luckie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Applied for my licence at Phayao DLT.   Spend 1 afternoon watching the instruction vid.  (Humorous,  lots of m/c accidents, would have been a hit on U-tube)

Could not take the computer test a they did not have an English version, o giver brief oral exam by lady examiner.  passed.  then sent to specified Dr. to get 'medical exam'  took by BP, asked if I ever got dizzy, then charged me 100B for a medical cert.  

lady examiner told me that UK licence was valid in Thailand and after explaining mine to her, (different vehicle classes,) I was given license for car and motor cycle, after obligatory colour blindness test and reaction test.  No need to take the driving test.

Since then I have renewed once at the same dept. with no trouble.

Never been asked for licence by RTP, but once stopped and Police asked khun wife in Thai if I had a licence.  

Being Thailand, no guarantee that this applies to any other office

Do you need to speak Thai?  I only did for the colour blindness test;  Green, yellow, red.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

How old do you have to be to get a driving licence (car) in Thailand?

Can you have lessons at a younger age?

Minimum age to legally drive a car in Thailand is 18 (15 for a small motorcycle). 

There is no such thing as a provisional licence. 

Thailand expects people to just be able to take a test and drive, the test is ridiculously easy. 

There are a few driving schools in Thailand which could may be help with new drivers. 

Seeking advice:

Have had a Driver's License here in Thailand since 2001. My current issue expires in 31 days. Went to Bangkok District 3 office this morning. Thai's before me were lined up with DL and Med. Cert., all receiving a que number, tests were being given, etc. My turn..."no Foreigners!"

No amount of attempted persuasion worked.

Am planning on being in the USA in the next couple of months to conclude some family business, and will need a DL in order to rent a car.

What to do...?!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm told you need 90% to pass the written test and the 200 question sample test I've seen is not easy due to poor translation and also in some cases the answers provided don't seem correct.

Has anyone taken the test recently and if so do you remember any of the questions?

On 6/1/2021 at 6:23 AM, lgking said:

Seeking advice:

Have had a Driver's License here in Thailand since 2001. My current issue expires in 31 days. Went to Bangkok District 3 office this morning. Thai's before me were lined up with DL and Med. Cert., all receiving a que number, tests were being given, etc. My turn..."no Foreigners!"

No amount of attempted persuasion worked.

Am planning on being in the USA in the next couple of months to conclude some family business, and will need a DL in order to rent a car.

What to do...?!

A bit late, but couldnt you even make appointment?
Went there end of March (so before the recent outbrake, maybe thats the reason) and they said "cant do today, need appointment" which i made with the lady at info counter.

Appointment was last week and all was fine, even though there are signs with "no DL services". 

Small update as I did my license 2 weeks ago:

First, I got all my documents.. 

• Copy of all the important passport pages
  • Proof of address
  • Medical cert
  • IDP

I live in Bangkok and got all the docs in BKK.

First try - I went to Bang Chak DLT. They signed me up for an appointemt 50 days from the date I visited.

Okay, I was on a trip in Prachuap and went to the DLT there. All went good up until I got to 'reflex testing', the examiner told me I need either proof of address from Prachuap immigration or I have to go to DLT in Bangkok. I called DLT later and it turned out to be a lie, but I was on a trip anyways.

Third try was in Chatuchak DLT in Bangkok. I went there early morning and told them I want to transfer car license with my IDP(I didnt even have my license with me) and pass exam for bikes as I had never got it in my country.

1 hour and 105 baht later I had car license in hand and I was waiting for my theory exam for bike. I failed the exam Twice and they told me to come back next morning. I came back and once again I had the license in my had in under an hour.

Very good and smooth process. No sign up, no waiting, no discirmination. I didnt have to watch any videos.

Got my appointment for renewal of DL today, after waiting 8 weeks.

Went to Bang Chak. Arrived 7.45

Handed papers in, waited for the test: breaking , other reaction test (lol). 20 min later, taken picture and received my 5 year license.

55min after entering the building, I was out.

I handed them a proof of residency from my Embassy.

On my DL, everything wrong: name of Condo, apartment number etc. 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, Trentham said:

I turned up a to do the test and found I had neglected to bring one document. The lady who assisted me was very helpful so next day when I turned up with the correct paperwork I took her a box of chocolates. When all of that days applicants were called in to the examination room she called out to the examiner that I was her friend. I was called aside and given my licence with no test - oral or driving.:smile:

Actually you were bribing the  lady

Had to do the 5 hour video training before the 'written test' aiming to get a brand new Thai licence. Few open mouthed moments seeing the straight faced hosts talking about strict rules of cars stopping for pedestrians, giving way to the main road, no tailgating etc

Then surprise, surprise.. many questions on the the test bore no relation at all to the training videos or any of the example tests posted online.

I had bizarre questions about driving with hearing impairments, effects of nausea drugs and when it was correct for 2 people to carry an accident victim !! . One correct answer wasn’t even one of the original options available on screen during the test.

Think only 1 of the 8 people in the test room actually scored the 45/50 needed to pass

When I asked the DLT lady if there was a reference book to practice from ( and especially brush up on the medical questions!) for the retake she confidently directed me to ..... look on Google .

Laughable and frustrating. 

Edited by heajy

• 4 weeks later...

Planning to get my Thai Driving License on October/November prior to IDP expiry Jan 2022.

Hopefully able to convert directly because my IDP was based on my Malaysia ID , now that i renewed my Thai ID not sure if it will post any issue or they will ask me to take from basic.

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2021 at 11:55 AM, Kalorymetr said:

Small update as I did my license 2 weeks ago:

First, I got all my documents.. 

• Copy of all the important passport pages
  • Proof of address
  • Medical cert
  • IDP

I live in Bangkok and got all the docs in BKK.

First try - I went to Bang Chak DLT. They signed me up for an appointemt 50 days from the date I visited.

Okay, I was on a trip in Prachuap and went to the DLT there. All went good up until I got to 'reflex testing', the examiner told me I need either proof of address from Prachuap immigration or I have to go to DLT in Bangkok. I called DLT later and it turned out to be a lie, but I was on a trip anyways.

Third try was in Chatuchak DLT in Bangkok. I went there early morning and told them I want to transfer car license with my IDP(I didnt even have my license with me) and pass exam for bikes as I had never got it in my country.

1 hour and 105 baht later I had car license in hand and I was waiting for my theory exam for bike. I failed the exam Twice and they told me to come back next morning. I came back and once again I had the license in my had in under an hour.

Very good and smooth process. No sign up, no waiting, no discirmination. I didnt have to watch any videos.

You paid 105 baht for a car license ? 5 year ?  I ask because the rates are now 505 baht. image.thumb.jpeg.6d0a32774d96f476e35fcb580af1fe9b.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 1:11 PM, mark5335 said:

It think that may have been a typo since the fee has been 505 baht for many years.

Can anyone confirm and my 5 year drivers license matures 22nd May
Do I have to get an appointment on line nearer the times or can I go in to the DLT head office in person and yes realise a medical certificate is now required and yeah old maturing passport and they take photos there and yes can use my yellow book and my passport.
Anything else and before went in person but not sure if Kanchanaburi DLT one can just go in, like I did 5 years ago.
Thanks everyone
Also if I need an appointment can one give a website address.

Edited by jwest10
spelling

On 2/15/2022 at 3:19 PM, jwest10 said:

Can anyone confirm and my 5 year drivers license matures 22nd May
Do I have to get an appointment on line nearer the times or can I go in to the DLT Kanchanaburi  head office in person and yes realise a medical certificate is now required and yeah old maturing passport and they take photos there and yes can use my yellow book and my passport.
Anything else and before went in person but not sure if Kanchanaburi DLT one can just go in, like I did 5 years ago.
Thanks everyone
Also if I need an appointment can one give a website address.

Edited by jwest10
Just adding

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

houla ! Please can you confirm as it's hard for any Thai to be clear when they explain anything.

First time driving license, no driving test if you already have a US license ?

And written test cannot be done online the first time, can you confirm ?

I already have US car license, so I just need to transfer it in Thailand.

I do not have a motorbike license, so I need to do the written test and driving test at the land department ?

Also, they told me that the first Thai licenses are only valid 2 years, not 5, is it correct ?

And the test that you can usually be done online, must be done at a driving center the first time you get a Thai driving license, so can I go to any driving school at Pattaya to get the QR code that confirms the past test ?

And do you know what school in Pattaya will give me the QR code and where I can take the lessons needed to get my motorcycle license ? (is it 5 hours?)

Thank you for your help.