How to get a driving licence in Thailand

Thanks for that, I thought that there was more to it. At Suan Plu they recorded me in a huge ledger, I paid some money and collected the paper a few weeks later.
Last time they gave me two options one was tell the embassy the other was Immigration. I didn’t see the point of the embassy telling Immigration what I had told them I so went to Immigration and an IO there threw a fit. A friend of a friend who worked at the Land Transport helped me out in the end. So it’s the same old, same old, have you ever got it from the embassy?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, tgeezer said:

So it’s the same old, same old, have you ever got it from the embassy?

Not sure whether you ask me?

But no, never had the need up here.

In 2011 I had a proof of residence from Khon Kaen immigration.

Since 2013 I have that "yellow house book" which is accepted here at the district DLT (which seems not to be the case everywhere).

• Like 1

I ask anybody out of interest but if you are not in Bangkok it is unlikely to help me. The yellow book seems interesting, I think that she mentioned that. If that is acceptable then I should get that. Is it supplied as part of the registration of the population? As aliens entitled to stay long term perhaps we should all be registered as occupants of dwellings and part of the population and be given a paper to verify the fact. It would certainly simplify much of the bureaucracy which we are involved in with Immigration apart from the driving licence. As Tony Blair would say it is not ‘joined up’ to have Immigration officers taking photographs of you on the bed with your wife, feeding the dog etc. while at the same time another organ of government has you registered as a householder.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• 3 weeks later...
Renewed my 5 year motorcycle license on Wednesday at Chonburi,  (Pattaya) LTO, they do not require the new medical form for renewals

Even if you have the residence certificate from Immigration you should still bring a copy of your Passport face page and arrival stamp so you don't have to run out and get the copies made across the street

Color test by pointing out colors on a poster, depth perception test, but no reaction test.  They had the movie on a TV which was looped and continued to play while everyone went in and out to perform various functions.  I was in the back so couldn't tell if the movie had English subtitles 

In at 12:30 licensed issued a 15:20  

I went yesterday to transfer a car and thought I’d try to do my car licence that had expired in May.
Only had passport /old licence/residence letter the lady on the desk copied my passport and visa and sent me on my way to next desk ,did a couple of colour and brake tests ,Put me into video room that was showing film in Thai for 15 minutes,Called out to pay and have licence photo and printed out all done in over an hour !!
My visa was a 60 day tourist ,My new licence is valid for five and a half years !!
Thoroughly pleasant experience compared to one near Regents school !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, 007cableguy said:

I went yesterday to transfer a car and thought I’d try to do my car licence that had expired in May.
Only had passport /old licence/residence letter the lady on the desk copied my passport and visa and sent me on my way to next desk ,did a couple of colour and brake tests ,Put me into video room that was showing film in Thai for 15 minutes,Called out to pay and have licence photo and printed out all done in over an hour !!
My visa was a 60 day tourist ,My new licence is valid for five and a half years !!
Thoroughly pleasant experience compared to one near Regents school !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"My visa was a 60 day tourist ,My new licence is valid for five and a half years !!"

You were lucky, you were entitled to a 2 year license only.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Can I get a motorcycle driving licence (I have a UK car and motorcycle licence) when in the country on the 30 day visa waiver, or do I need to get some kind of visa first?

I stay in Pattaya.

Thank you.

Edited by Treebeard

3 hours ago, Treebeard said:

Hi, Can I get a motorcycle driving licence (I have a UK car and motorcycle licence) when in the country on the 30 day visa waiver, or do I need to get some kind of visa first?

I stay in Pattaya.

Thank you.

Depends on if you can get a certificate of residence from immigration. I've read before that this is possible in Pattaya with a visa exempt, but you never know for sure if they changed anything, so you just have to try it. If you can get the certificate of residence from immigration you can convert your driving license at the DLT. The DLT might also want to see an international driving permit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

Depends on if you can get a certificate of residence from immigration. I've read before that this is possible in Pattaya with a visa exempt, but you never know for sure if they changed anything, so you just have to try it. If you can get the certificate of residence from immigration you can convert your driving license at the DLT. The DLT might also want to see an international driving permit.

Thank you for the reply, ????

Hi, is it possible to use my work permit instead of an embassy letter/immigration letter as proof of address (according to this website you can: http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html)? 

I'm applying for a Thai licence for the first time (in Bangkok) and have a valid UK licence already (does this need to be translated and certified?).

Any recommendations which DLT branch is easiest in Bangkok? Thanks.

40 minutes ago, sussex said:

Hi, is it possible to use my work permit instead of an embassy letter/immigration letter as proof of address (according to this website you can: http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html)? 

I'm applying for a Thai licence for the first time (in Bangkok) and have a valid UK licence already (does this need to be translated and certified?).

Any recommendations which DLT branch is easiest in Bangkok? Thanks.

Yes, you can use workpermit.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:14 PM, Lokie said:

So according to the vid, just rock up to DLT with your old Thai licence due for renewal and thats it, no other documents required?

Mmm like to hear from someone who has recently done this??

Renewed my 5 year car and motorcycle drivers licenses today in BKK at the Sukhumvit 99 location. Took a pile of documents and copies but all they wanted was my Pink ID card( 2 copies and original), expired Thai DL (both), 2 copies of Yellow House book and my signature and phone number on the applications. Had to do the three physical tests and watch a 1 hour video (English subtitles.) Took from 11AM until 2 PM to complete. All staff friendly and helpful. I did notice some non-Thai applicants did not need to watch the video. 

• Like 1

Regards certificate of residence. Since the embassy no longer issue the certificate and I don't hold a working permit. Only having non imm. O does this means no more renewal of the DL that I've had now for 12 years??? 

9 minutes ago, mek said:

Regards certificate of residence. Since the embassy no longer issue the certificate and I don't hold a working permit. Only having non imm. O does this means no more renewal of the DL that I've had now for 12 years??? 

I show last time the yellow book, which was accepted. I actually only was there for asking what papers are needed, after extension. So I had the yellow book with me, and that was enough, no certificate of residence from Embassy or Immigration needed. 

And since when the embassies not give out certificate of residence anymore? I was thinking that 3 embassies only stop giving the Income certificate.

Danish embassy no longer issue certificate of residence. Realized recently when I needed one for my bank but was told that they no longer does it. Asked them what to do when I needed my DL renewal and was told they couldn't help me. 

51 minutes ago, mek said:

Danish embassy no longer issue certificate of residence. Realized recently when I needed one for my bank but was told that they no longer does it. Asked them what to do when I needed my DL renewal and was told they couldn't help me. 

OK, this I think is very sad news for Danish people. But there are still 2 option open for you:

• a yellow Book, this alone could help
  • If you have done 90 day report, then you can become a certificate from Immigration

I hope one of this option will help you!

• 4 weeks later...

Today I converted my 2 year driving licence to a 5 year one at the Cha-Am Department of Land Transport.  

Cha-am Land Transport Office
222 moo 1 Tambon Khao Yai, Cha-am district, Phetchaburi province, 76120
Tel: 032-471-846
Covers the districts: Tayang and Cha-am.
Just for information, I will go through the process for anyone interested. We arrived at about 1030.  They have a lunch break between 1200 and 1300 - of which more later..                                                          

Documents required:-                                                                        

Copy and original of passport data page.

Copy of non immigrant visa page                                                          

Copy of TM6 and last arrival stamp into Thailand                                    

Copy of Yellow House Book to show address, I also showed my pink Thai ID card.                                                                                          Old 2 year licence                                                                                    

Medical certificate showing fitness to drive.                                                

A woman at the Public Relations desk checks your documents and  then you go upstairs to do some tests.                                                                                                                 And here is something I did not know.  If you have a yellow house book, you must visit the Tessaban every year to update the fact that you are still living at the address stated thereon. Therefore we had to do a quick backtrack to the Cha-Am Municipality to get the yellow book updated at a cost of 10THB.
Then it was back to the Land Transport Office to take the tests. 
The tests are documented elsewhere, but there is a peripheral vision test, reaction test and a colour blindness test. Total time to take all three tests was about 45 seconds. No dodgy road safety movie to watch this time, but was told that in 5 years time, I would not need a medical certificate, but I would need to watch the road safety movie.  

It was then back downstairs to pay 555THB for a 5 year licence.  Unfortunately the PR woman had forgotten to record my test results on the form and then it was lunch time, so we had to wait unnecessarily for another hour, while they had their lunch.  After lunch they checked the documents again and I then went to have my photo taken and the licence  produced.  I got the feeling that some of the staff were anti farang and that I was leapfrogged in the queue by some Thais that arrived after me.  Never mind, I came away with a brand new 5 year licence, which starts from your next birthday, meaning that I end up with nearly 6 years.  Just thought I would share the process with you. 

Edited by khm2412
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, khm2412 said:

And here is something I did not know.  If you have a yellow house book, you must visit the Tessaban every year to update the fact that you are still living at the address stated thereon. Therefore we had to do a quick backtrack to the Cha-Am Municipality to get the yellow book updated at a cost of 10THB.

Also first time that I get notice about that.

How was the update done? Completely new book? Stamp?

• 1 month later...

My 2-year driving license will expire on April 26th and I will return on a 30-day (same as I applied for my driving license) stamp tomorrow and would like to extend the driving license.

Obviously this is only possible for another 2-years as I am on the entry stamp but...

... I was reaching out to a local agency providing support for Thai driving licenses and they told me that I can only apply from 24th (day my current license expires) onwards!?

I do not want to go through all the stuff again but have all documents (residency letter, health check, international driving license, European driving license etc.) ready so I thought I can apply 3-months before the current license expires!?

Anything I am missing? Better to do myself I think but any recommendations for the 2-year renewal?

• 3 months later...

Today I went to get licenses for both car and motorcycle.

I had a recently expired US driver's license but a still valid IDP. I only showed the land transport office the IDP, and I was able to get both licenses without having to take a theory test or driving test. I only did the three physical test they have at the office (reaction, depth perception, peripheral vision).

Last week I tried to get a certificate of residence from Chang Watthana, but none of the staff there were able to understand what I wanted, and I didn't feel like waiting hours with a queue number for TM30 (which I already have) for them to tell me I queued for the wrong thing.

So I went to the US embassy instead. I downloaded the blank affidavit, used an online program to edit PDFs, and put the following text (in addition to my name on the appropriate line):

I was born on DD/MON/YYYY in (State), USA and am the bearer of USA Passport No. 1234567 issued on DD/MON/YYYY by the US Department of State which expires DD/MON/YYYY.

I am presently residing at:
(Thai Address)

The purpose of this affidavit is to obtain a Thai driver's license for both an automobile and a motorcycle.

The US embassy didn't ask for any verification of the address. I just had to swear that the information was correct.

I hope this helps someone because I searched this forum and online, and I couldn't find anything about using the IDP only to get the licenses or how to fill out the blank affidavit.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:06 PM, WaitingPoint said:

I couldn't find anything about using the IDP only to get the licenses

Any answer would most likely have been: The IDP is only valid in combination with a valid driving license (from the same country).

So you were lucky that they either had no idea what they are doing or just didn't care, because officially it's not possible to obtain a driving license the way you did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 year Thai DL wil expire 17 Aug and I will be on trip outside Thailand until the 23rd of August. 

Can I just extend my Thai DL after I'm back?

I read that several people advice to let the 2 year DL expire first to get a longer extension.

What is the max number of days that you can extend an expired Thai DL, before you need to start from scratch? 

Any input appreciated. 

• 8 months later...
On 7/15/2019 at 8:06 PM, WaitingPoint said:

Today I went to get licenses for both car and motorcycle.

I had a recently expired US driver's license but a still valid IDP. I only showed the land transport office the IDP, and I was able to get both licenses without having to take a theory test or driving test. I only did the three physical test they have at the office (reaction, depth perception, peripheral vision).

Last week I tried to get a certificate of residence from Chang Watthana, but none of the staff there were able to understand what I wanted, and I didn't feel like waiting hours with a queue number for TM30 (which I already have) for them to tell me I queued for the wrong thing.

So I went to the US embassy instead. I downloaded the blank affidavit, used an online program to edit PDFs, and put the following text (in addition to my name on the appropriate line):

I was born on DD/MON/YYYY in (State), USA and am the bearer of USA Passport No. 1234567 issued on DD/MON/YYYY by the US Department of State which expires DD/MON/YYYY.

I am presently residing at:
(Thai Address)

The purpose of this affidavit is to obtain a Thai driver's license for both an automobile and a motorcycle.

The US embassy didn't ask for any verification of the address. I just had to swear that the information was correct.

I hope this helps someone because I searched this forum and online, and I couldn't find anything about using the IDP only to get the licenses or how to fill out the blank affidavit.

@WaitingPoint, where did you find the blank affidavit form that you edited?  I'll be going through the same process myself.

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

My 5 year DL expires on my 65th birthday, does anyone know if I pass the test what length the new will be? 

If you apply before your b'day -- 5 years from the birthdate

If you apply 1 day after your birthday then 6 years minus 1 day.

Just to add .. no changes because you got to 65.

Edited by ThaidDown
add

On 7/31/2019 at 11:58 AM, Cheops said:

My 2 year Thai DL wil expire 17 Aug and I will be on trip outside Thailand until the 23rd of August. 

Can I just extend my Thai DL after I'm back?

I read that several people advice to let the 2 year DL expire first to get a longer extension.

What is the max number of days that you can extend an expired Thai DL, before you need to start from scratch? 

Any input appreciated. 

You should be able to renew your 2 Year Temp DL within a year of expiry. 

Depending on the Visa you are holding you will either get another 2 year Temp Licence or a 5 year License. 

[with a Non-Immigrant Visa you will get 5 years, with a Tourist Visa you will get 2 years]

• Like 1