Applying for Khor Ror 22 - Document Requirements

In readiness for submitting my application for a Visa Extension (1 year based on Marriage) I am in the process of applying for a Khor Ror 22, this is at Banglamung Amphur Office. 

I visited the Amphur Office this morning to confirm what documents I must present.

I was told:

Translation of my marriage certificate into Thai, certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (T.MoFA)

Copy of my marriage certificate certified original by the Signapore Embassy 

Certification of my passport from US embassy, also translated into Thai and the translation certified at the T.MoFA ????

Originals to the above documents.

Wife's Thai ID

Wife's Tabien Baan.

This request that I should get my passport certified by the US embassy is impossible, the US embassy do not certify passports or copies of documents.

I'm not even sure why I would need a translated copy of my passport.

My plan is to write an affidavit stating my US citizenship, that I hold US passport number xxxxx, issued date xxxx, expires date xxxxx etc and get that motorised at the US embassy then get the motorised document translated and the translation certified at the T.MoFA. 

Or ... is even that not necessary?

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This request that I should get my passport certified by the US embassy is impossible, the US embassy do not certify passports or copies of documents.

I believed this was the case as well, but a translator showed me a copy of another fellow's certified copy of his USA passport - embassy-seal on the copy. 

Beware that some amphoes will point to the line on many US-Embassy documents saying, "We don't guarantee this, only that this US-Citizen has sworn ..." and then reject your application.  As a result, it is impossible to get married at several Amphoes in Thailand (I speak from experience).  Not sure how this works with using a foreign-certificate - but be mentally-prepared for this possibility.

If you get stuck, you may have to go "Amphoe Shopping" or hire a "marriage agent" who will submit your docs with an envelope of cash, at which point all the amphoe's "concerns" suddenly go away - won't need "certified copy of passport" (which is idiotic), etc - much like some requirements for extensions at many immigration offices vanish with agent "assistance."  Some people report being able to pay the envelope of cash directly at the amphoe for marriage issues, but I would not try that.

So, first, give it a try with what they say they want.  Then move on to "Plan B" if they invent new reasons they cannot do it.

Edited by JackThompson

Every Amphoe can have their own requirements.

The passport certification and translation seems a bit odd is be something you will have to do.

I think the US embassy can do a certified copy of your passport. They will not though do a true copy which means it is true and correct. If not doing a self certification of it similar to what they do for marriage certificates and etc. See the affidavits that can be done here to use as an example. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/authentication-vital-records/

The affidavit would have to be translated.

UbonJoe, JackT,

I just called the US Embassy and listened right the way through their recorded message options. 

'True Copy of US Passport' is a service that the Embassy ACS provide, when I look on their website, there is a fee of $50 recorded for the service but no instructions of how to proceed, so I have written a polite email asking for advice. I'll come back and let you know how I get on.

Thanks to you both for your advice.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

'True Copy of US Passport' is a service that the Embassy ACS provide, when I look on their website, there is a fee of $50 recorded for the service but no instructions of how to proceed, so I have written a polite email asking for advice. I'll come back and let you know how I get on.

I think all you need to do is make an appointment for notarial services and hand over your passport to have the copy done after the paying the $50 or 1700 baht fee.

I hope that's correct Ubonjoe.

I'm 28 days from the end of my 90 day visa and the check sheet I received from the Immigration Office in Jomtien states that I must apply for my one year extension (marriage) before the last 15 days of my visa.

So while not up against the wall for time, I hate tight deadlines when their is bureaucracy to be managed.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I'm 28 days from the end of my 90 day visa and the check sheet I received from the Immigration Office in Jomtien states that I must apply for my one year extension (marriage) before the last 15 days of my visa.

There is no minimum of 15 days to apply for an extension of stay. You could do it on the last day if you wanted to.

The 15 days is only needed to apply for a non immigrant visa.

Ubonjoe, you are going right to the top of my Christmas card list. 

I'll aim to complete all this before the 15 days, I in any case need to get some other stuff underway, but honestly the worst part of the whole process is the huge amount of half truths and misinformation that's passed around. 

Your advise is hugely appreciated by this minion wandering through the maize of Thai bureaucracy.