Applicant for driving licence must show medical certificate

rooster59

Renewed my DL last month at Sakon Nakhon and have renewed there a few times over the years.  They have always asked for medical certificate but from a hospital, will not accept from a clinic.  There was no video and the only test was to put me in front of a box with three lights like traffic lights in the west.  But the colours were red, green and a kind of yellowish green.  She turned on the red light and I said "see daeng" to which she replied "No"??? so I said red, she said "yes".  I continued in English with the green light and then took a guess with the yellowish green light and said what I thought it should be (orange) rather than what it was.  Good she said and ticked every other test on my sheet??

Two friends went to Udon for their DL"S last week (not renewals).  They had to do a test on a computer.  The instructor stood next to them and told them what answers to press.  They then had to do an actual driving test which they had no problems with.  They had to wait over an hour for the driving test but said the wait was very entertaining watching the Thais, none of whom could actually drive without hitting the posts, curbs or witches hats.  One friend has a bad heart and had to pay 8,000 to get his medical certificate.

The guys who normally haunt the Kumpawapi Traffic Office car park offering you anything you want inside for an inflated price have disappeared.  Maybe thats what was meant by the claim that DL's would be made harder to obtain.

Its a huge joke!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

In the UK when taking your driving test, the examiner would point to a car parked nearby and ask you to read the registration number. IIRC wasn't it supposed to be 25 metres away?

That's right, it is actually 20 mts, I remember when I sat my driving test back in Scotland, my driving instructor was giving me a trial run before the test, I asked him to check my eyesight, he pointed to a car reg no, it was quite dirty, I had a bit of difficulty reading it. That is one of the reasons why I think an optician should be the one to decide if your eyesight is good enough to drive.

32 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

In the UK when taking your driving test, the examiner would point to a car parked nearby and ask you to read the registration number. IIRC wasn't it supposed to be 25 metres away?

20 mts away.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I wonder if there are any details regarding how far back you might be expected to declare for part one? Also what depth might you be expected to go into regarding any of these points - operations, etc.

"accident records" Does that refer to car accident, rather than personal injury accident? I can't imagine why a car accident would be listed on a medical certificate.

Also, when self-certifying, I'd guess that must be only in Thai, not English?

I don't think that we need get too anxious about this! Can't go raising ones blood pressure now, can we.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That's right, it is actually 20 mts, I remember when I sat my driving test back in Scotland, my driving instructor was giving me a trial run before the test, I asked him to check my eyesight, he pointed to a car reg no, it was quite dirty, I had a bit of difficulty reading it. That is one of the reasons why I think an optician should be the one to decide if your eyesight is good enough to drive.

Or an examiner with a damp cloth, to clean the number plates!

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Oh, sure... for 50 Baht pretty much any neighborhood clinic is going to declare anybody entirely physically and mentally fit. These certificates are not worth the paper they're printed on - and everyone knows it.

If real tests took place, half of the population would be unable to obtain a driving permit at all.

I'll pray for this day to come!!!!! 

ALm this talk and no one has spoken about the reality of the NEW requirements which came in on March 1st. The medical certificate is NOT just a simple med cert as in the past I.e. from any clinic for 100 baht, but  now needs to be from a hospital and signed properly by a doctor after the medical test. A simple form from a clinic is now not accepted. They require blood test showing that you don’t have epilepsy, etc. and other tests doing at a hospital and this is the certificate that they now want. Now it’s not so funny is it......

3 minutes ago, Falcon said:

ALm this talk and no one has spoken about the reality of the NEW requirements which came in on March 1st. The medical certificate is NOT just a simple med cert as in the past I.e. from any clinic for 100 baht, but  now needs to be from a hospital and signed properly by a doctor after the medical test. A simple form from a clinic is now not accepted. They require blood test showing that you don’t have epilepsy, etc. and other tests doing at a hospital and this is the certificate that they now want. Now it’s not so funny is it......

That's definitely not funny because as far as I'm aware there is no blood test to prove you don't have epilepsy.

4 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Renewed my 5 year driving license a few weeks ago and no medical certificate was required. The hour long safety video was though 

and did you watch it for the full hour???

When I was told to watch it i walked out after 10 mins as it was riduculous !!!

6 hours ago, PJPom said:

Just got my Thai license last week,  medical certificate a must, 50 baht signed by Doctors Receptionist. Just another piece of paper to add to the forests consumed every day in Thailand.

They really are clueless / brainless. It WILL NOT HAVE AT ALL THE WAY EVERYBODY DRIVES. NOBODY CARES

The visa MC has to be from a hospital . stamped and signed . so the DL MC can be bought from a pharmacy or one of the clinics . they should insist also that the applicant knows the left from the right as it seems most do not   

49 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

So that's means no Thai men on the roads anymore 5555

the females are worst indicators only for decoration . mirrors  only fo make up. and Zit squeezing . the driving has been crazy in the years i've been here but now due to the increase of cars and bikes it a circus every day 

5 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

the females are worst indicators only for decoration . mirrors  only fo make up. and Zit squeezing . the driving has been crazy in the years i've been here but now due to the increase of cars and bikes it a circus every day 

OMG mostly of the high speed accidents is men and there is the death toll but yes I will agree ladies can't drive too

Archived