Bored in Thailand

garyk

12 hours ago, tropo said:

I can sit down in a chair and do nothing and not be bored. It's a state of mind ..........

I think that state is called 'depression'.

And later stages may involve a balcony.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see you're making a great effort to always stay busy, but it almost comes across as desperately trying to fill your days to prevent boredom. It's like your daily task is to prevent boredom.

It's a bit like killing time as though it's your enemy and it needs to be filled up with tasks. 

I can sit down in a chair and do nothing and not be bored. It's a state of mind, not a vacuum to desperately fill up with tasks. A lot of people are doing stuff they really don't enjoy but they do it because they feel they must, otherwise, they are wasting their lives. I think a mental state like this is stressful. What happens if the people get sick and are incapable of doing things?

Like my old man used to say when people asked him if he didn't get sick of doing nothing. "Of course I do, I just go and have a good lie-down until the feeling passes".

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
I see you're making a great effort to always stay busy, but it almost comes across as desperately trying to fill your days to prevent boredom. It's like your daily task is to prevent boredom.

It's a bit like killing time as though it's your enemy and it needs to be filled up with tasks. 

I can sit down in a chair and do nothing and not be bored. It's a state of mind, not a vacuum to desperately fill up with tasks. A lot of people are doing stuff they really don't enjoy but they do it because they feel they must, otherwise, they are wasting their lives. I think a mental state like this is stressful. What happens if the people get sick and are incapable of doing things?

If you are happy doing nothing why be in Thailand? You might as well be back in the west where the healthcare is most likely better and you don't have to worry about visas and any pension technicalities

Malaysia perhaps. Climate, better visas, food, cheap.

1 hour ago, transam said:

You could be right...:smile:

Tropo never stated he was sitting 'happily'.

A major part of depression is lacking the will to do ANYTHING.

Can't be bothered to get up, just lie in bad, can't be bothered to go out, just sit doing nothing  ....... etc.

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I think quite the opposite.

When you are still bored despite an active life, when you cannot sit still and contemplate the world for a moment without feeling bored, that, I would think, would be a start to depression.

When you are bored sitting in your sun lounger, but lack the energy and will power to go and do something else, or can't think of anything else that you would rather be doing, that, I think, would be a start to depression.

The ability to sit back and contemplate, to meditate, for a while, that, I think, is not a precursor to depression; quite the opposite.

SC

When you are still bored despite an active life, when you cannot sit still and contemplate the world for a moment without feeling bored, that, I would think, would be a start to depression.

When you are bored sitting in your sun lounger, but lack the energy and will power to go and do something else, or can't think of anything else that you would rather be doing, that, I think, would be a start to depression.

The ability to sit back and contemplate, to meditate, for a while, that, I think, is not a precursor to depression; quite the opposite.

SC
I think it's good we have doctors on here

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
11 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

SC

I think it's good we have doctors on here

Where else would you find doctors, but the pub?

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
18 hours ago, tropo said:

If you are happy doing nothing why be in Thailand? You might as well be back in the west where the healthcare is most likely better and you don't have to worry about visas and any pension technicalities

I didn't say I'm doing nothing. Whether I'm happy or not is irrelevant, as this discussion is about "boredom". I just don't get bored and stress out about killing time. I certainly don't run around looking for things to do as my days pass by fast enough as it is.

Due to the online nature of my life these days, it wouldn't make a lot of difference wherever I live, but I can live better on the same budget here. There are many other reasons too, but discussing them would be going off topic.

5 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:
18 hours ago, tropo said:

I can sit down in a chair and do nothing and not be bored. It's a state of mind ..........

You would think that, but that's understandable as you're a person that needs to keep active in order to alleviate boredom.

Sitting in a chair doing nothing could be relaxation or meditation too. It's not that it's what I do all day, but I'm saying I don't get bored and can sit in a chair relaxing and not be bored.

People who need to be active all the time can also be depressed and are just using activity to mask it. What would you do if you suffered an injury and couldn't walk? 

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Tropo never stated he was sitting 'happily'.

A major part of depression is lacking the will to do ANYTHING.

Can't be bothered to get up, just lie in bad, can't be bothered to go out, just sit doing nothing  ....... etc.

You misunderstood the context of my comment. I DON'T sit in a chair doing nothing all day. I get pretty close when I'm posting on here LOL.The point is that I can, without being bored. I can relax and meditate. I actually spend nearly 2 hours a day in the gym, so I'm not inactive. After a hard workout, I can just sit and relax.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Your activities smack of "killing time". There's something very desperate about that.                                               

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

You misunderstood the context of my comment. I DON'T sit in a chair doing nothing all day. I get pretty close when I'm posting on here LOL.The point is that I can, without being bored. I can relax and meditate. I actually spend nearly 2 hours a day in the gym, so I'm not inactive. After a hard workout, I can just sit and relax.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Your activities smack of "killing time". There's something very desperate about that.                                               

Huh?

5 hours ago, Justfine said:

Malaysia perhaps. Climate, better visas, food, cheap.

No thanks. The visas are not better and far more costly. I'll stay here if that's OK with you. I'm going to sign a 2 years lease when my current one expires.

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

You misunderstood the context of my comment. I DON'T sit in a chair doing nothing all day. I get pretty close when I'm posting on here LOL.The point is that I can, without being bored. I can relax and meditate. I actually spend nearly 2 hours a day in the gym, so I'm not inactive. After a hard workout, I can just sit and relax.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        2                                                                                   Your activities smack of "killing time". There's something very desperate about that.                                               

2 hours a day?  You must look like a stud.

Good for you.

Any HGH or T supplements?

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Lots of gym junkies spend 2 hrs in a gym. 30 mins exercise. 90 mins sitting around.

Are you suggesting I'm a lazy trainer LOL. Not me - I never sit and hardly rest between sets. 

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

You cannot keep doing that for long. I did look into it though. Mainly I don't want to live in an Islamic State.

You mean one where beer sales are restricted on religious public holidays?

Just now, Justfine said:

Not sure why not. 90 M, 30 T, 90 M, 30 T, 90 M, 30 T etc.

Nevermind the reasons. You can't, but even if I could, I wouldn't move there. I don't know why a topic about boredom became a debate about visas in Malaysia LOL.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Nevermind the reasons. You can't, but even if I could, I wouldn't move there. I don't know why a topic about boredom became a debate about visas in Malaysia LOL.

Progressive discussion about lifestyle.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Don't know. I have seen lots of talkers in gyms and people sitting around.

Are you suggesting I sit around and talk, or are you just talking in general? I train at home with no one to talk to. Few people train with more focus and effort. That's one reason I love training at home - no distractions.

Archived