Bored in Thailand

garyk

47 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Hard to define boredom From some of the ideas to avoid it such as Walking around Markets,riding about on a Bike, entering sweaty Gymnasiums, death seems a better option.emoji481.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That was an interesting comment about entering "sweaty gymnasiums" and "death being a better option". The main reason I train is to control blood sugar, so (expedited) death IS the option along with many other serious health issues such as blindness and limb amputation to make passing even more miserable. LOL.

There's a lot more to training than alleviating boredom, but that's an inevitable side effect.

I agree that most of the gyms in Pattaya are horrible places to train, and that's the reason I set up my own. There are a few expensive hotel gyms that are pleasant enough environments to train in if the budget allows it.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tropo said:

That was an interesting comment about entering "sweaty gymnasiums" and "death being a better option". The main reason I train is to control blood sugar, so (expedited) death IS the option along with many other serious health issues such as blindness and limb amputation to make passing even more miserable. LOL.

There's a lot more to training than alleviating boredom, but that's an inevitable side effect.

I agree that most of the gyms in Pattaya are horrible places to train, and that's the reason I set up my own. There are a few expensive hotel gyms that are pleasant enough environments to train in if the budget allows it.

I actually prefer a sweaty gym.  Real men should sweat.  Cleanse the pores and helps lose a few pounds.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I actually prefer a sweaty gym.  Real men should sweat.  Cleanse the pores and helps lose a few pounds.

I have nothing against sweating, but training in other people's sweat is another thing entirely. For some reason, the idea of training with a towel has escaped them and too many people leave pools of sweat on benches, equipment and the floor in gyms around here. Back at home, you'd be kicked out of a gym for such behaviour, but not here.

In a good hotel gym towels are provided and staff runs around cleaning up after heavy sweaters. You get the full service.

If you really like to sweat, Pratunmak Hill Park has lots of exercise stations and walking tracks that can really provide you with a good workout. One of the best features are lots of stairs. In one area you can do 200 steps and go around in circuits. That's fantastic exercise! I only use the park from November until February, preferring to exercise indoors the rest of the year.

22 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I can do that just by going for a walk in the heat. I don't have to pay a gym for the privilege of sweating on their premises.

When I was working around the house I was drinking over 2 liters just to replace sweat.

If you really like to sweat, Pratunmak Hill Park has lots of exercise stations and walking tracks that can really provide you with a good workout.

Most of the people i see there are either walking slowly or standing around the exercise station. They really need to work harder.

I agree though Pratamak hill area is great place for exercise, I've always found the gym really tedious and difficult to do enough exercise there. Outside I've never been bored, time flies and easy to get fitter and leaner

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most of the people i see there are either walking slowly or standing around the exercise station. They really need to work harder.

I agree though Pratamak hill area is great place for exercise, I've always found the gym really tedious and difficult to do enough exercise there. Outside I've never been bored, time flies and easy to get fitter and leaner

To be fair, there are people up in the park that train hard. When I have to wring my clothes out after a workout, it's time to get back indoors. That happens late February, early March. If it's too hot you're not really getting the benefits anymore as you're fighting the heat, not the exercise. I always train with a heart rate monitor, and when it gets hot the heart rate increases a lot as well as performance dropping... and then later when I'm home, I'm a zombie - can't get off a chair I'm so exhausted. 

To be fair, there are people up in the park that train hard. When I have to wring my clothes out after a workout, it's time to get back indoors. That happens late February, early March. If it's too hot you're not really getting the benefits anymore as you're fighting the heat, not the exercise. I always train with a heart rate monitor, and when it gets hot the heart rate increases a lot as well as performance dropping... and then later when I'm home, I'm a zombie - can't get off a chair I'm so exhausted. 
Yes i noticed today with the record breaking heat and humidity my heart rate was 5 beats higher than normal. Wringing my shirt out is something i do after every session. My nipple was sore yesterday with the friction, time for vaseline but you probably didn't want to know that

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
16 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes i noticed today with the record breaking heat and humidity my heart rate was 5 beats higher than normal. Wringing my shirt out is something i do after every session. My nipple was sore yesterday with the friction, time for vaseline but you probably didn't want to know that

LOL> I had to use vaseline under my arms yesterday, and that's training indoors. I still sweat, just not as much.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Actually, it's entirely possible to be a very happy chappy in LOS with very little money.

Some of us prefer walking to a m'bike, don't play golf, not interested in paying to meet ladies ( that is talking about non bargirls ) that expect to be wined and dined, don't like Thai massage, eat perfectly well under 200 a meal, going out for drinks doesn't have to be expensive, though "fun" usually is.

Whatever floats our boat, I say.

I agree that being bored is up to us.

200bht a meal! You're a BIG spender .......... under 50bht for most of my meals, OK a couple of Tigers might up the price another 110bht.

42 minutes ago, tropo said:

Get up earlier, nice and cool  at 7-9am most mornings.

I also use a HR monitor, temperature doesn't make an difference  to my HR, I just sweat a bit more.

(3hrs in the mountains this morning, 16Km, 620m elevation gain, average HR 127, peak 168)

Blister on my right heel.

I also use a HR monitor, temperature doesn't make an difference  to my HR, I just sweat a bit more.
(3hrs in the mountains this morning, 16Km, 620m elevation gain, average HR 127, peak 168)

I just double checked on Google, quote from Runnersworld.
"Heat and/or humidity increase the physical stress on the body and therefore, increase the intensity or effort of the run, which results in higher heart rates. ... Hot, humid weather can easily add 20 beats or more to a runner's average heart rate. This means that the samerun pace will now elicit a much higher heart rate"
You must be the exception or just don't notice, needs to be the same route and same part when comparing

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just double checked on Google, quote from Runnersworld.
"Heat and/or humidity increase the physical stress on the body and therefore, increase the intensity or effort of the run, which results in higher heart rates. ... Hot, humid weather can easily add 20 beats or more to a runner's average heart rate. This means that the samerun pace will now elicit a much higher heart rate"
You must be the exception or just don't notice, needs to be the same route and same part when comparing

Maybe you're right, but cycling up from Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep, 50 minutes no matter how hot it is.

Hiking up Pilgrims Trail (Channel 7 tower to top of temple steps) also 50 mins every time.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I'm talking 30C plus temperatures at high humidity. What temperature and humidity were you training at? Also, 127 doesn't mean much unless we know your age. For my age, 127 average is a moderate effort.

53 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Maybe you're right, but cycling up from Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep, 50 minutes no matter how hot it is.

Hiking up Pilgrims Trail (Channel 7 tower to top of temple steps) also 50 mins every time.

Oh, cycling? That's quite a bit different (than walking or running) as you have lots of wind cooling you down if your cycling above 20km/h, which you should be.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/08/24/national/tokyo-summer-temperatures-raise-heatstroke-risk-2020-olympic-marathon-experts-say/

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

Oh, cycling? That's quite a bit different (than walking or running) as you have lots of wind cooling you down if your cycling above 20km/h, which you should be.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/08/24/national/tokyo-summer-temperatures-raise-heatstroke-risk-2020-olympic-marathon-experts-say/

Should be interesting to see the football players drop like flies half way through the game at the World Cup in Qatar.

52 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm talking 30C plus temperatures at high humidity. What temperature and humidity were you training at? Also, 127 doesn't mean much unless we know your age. For my age, 127 average is a moderate effort.

Just now, MaeJoMTB said:

Ok, so we're about the same give or take 3 bpm. You didn't say what temperatures you were working at at 7am. I see you're up near Chiang Mai, which is currently posting minimums (usually at about 7am) of between 18 and 21C with very low humidity of around 30%. That is perfect! In contrast, the 7am temperatures in Pattaya are ranging between 25 and 27C currently at around 80% humidity. That's way higher, especially the humidity, which makes it feel many degrees hotter. I train in the park (when I do) at around 5pm, which is at least 30C at 80% humidity at the moment. No thanks! I train indoors at 26C and around 60% humidity, which is still not cool by any stretch of the imagination.

29 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Aren't they night games?

Don’t know.  It’s been moved to November and December, I believe, so the weather should be pleasantly temperate.

night games would be inconvenient for viewers in Thailand

39 minutes ago, Justfine said:

He has the smog problem.

Reminds me of training on the top floor of a building in the middle of an industrial area of Manila with no airconditioning in the middle of summer under a corrugated iron roof... in the middle of the day. They were undoubtedly the worst training conditions I have ever endured. I didn't know if it was better to open the windows, letting in the smog and getting some air, or keeping them closed. If I have to endure the heat and I don't have a choice, I will. Never say die! I was a weak as a kitten and probably wasn't getting any benefit at all - it was just a matter of resolve to keep the wheels turning.

Unless I'm doing 50+ km/h i don't feel much wind. It doesn't seem to help, some days cooler, the last few days getting hotter and hotter. Plus unless you are at the front you tend to stay behind someone to avoid the wind

23 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

200bht a meal! You're a BIG spender .......... under 50bht for most of my meals, OK a couple of Tigers might up the price another 110bht.

LOL.

You'd be right if I dined out more than once a week, but it's my special treat to myself, so I'm not holding back.

BTW, that's UNDER 200, so I would probably actually pay 150 or less.

Bit scary to me that some will actually pay upwards of a thousand baht just for one meal. Is the food really that good, or is it the restaurant they are paying for?

The best meal I can remember ever having was a sweet and sour pork and rice in a Nee Soon gutter stall. I can still remember it 43 years later.

However when I go to the movies I usually eat at the mall food court and can get a very satisfactory chicken and rice with a bowl of clear soup for 40 baht.

Enjoy!

23 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I believe you live in Chiang Mai.

I don't think it matters what time of day it is in Pattaya, but it's always hot. One reason I like the place.

Archived