Best way to send 150K Baht ?

I'm helping friends to get land ready for rice planting and need to transfer GBP equal to 150K Baht. The money is coming from a UK NatWest current account. Ive only ever sent money through Western Union in the past. However, I'm in Thailand at the moment. Can I simply walk into my friends Thai bank and make the transfer using my debit or credit card? Advice needed please. 

The rules on funds transfer are that you can push money but you can't pull it, that means you have to initiate the transfer from the bank that holds the funds rather than the bank that is receiving them, in your case, Natwest.

What you can do is to withdraw the funds from Natwest in cash using whatever cards will let you do that and then deposit the money into your friends' account.

Three options:

1. Make a swift transfer from your UK bank account to the Thai bank account, it's the easiest but probably not the cheapest way

2. As mentioned already, Transferwise, also quite simple, you transfer money to their account in Europe and they transfer money to the Thai bank account of your choice

3. You withdraw money with your credit card. Either 5 times 30k at the ATM (the ATM will charge you 220THB each time), or you can withdraw money at the bank counter (Either in one step if your credit card limit allows it or in multiple. At UOB you can withdraw money from a credit card without them charging anything extra, other banks might not offer it or charge a fee). Your UK bank might charge you extra fees for withdrawing money at the ATM or at the counter, so make sure you check their fees. You then take the 150k cash to a branch of the recipients bank and deposit it in his/her account.

It is possible to do this without incurring fees if you have a Halifax Clarity Card or a Nationwide Flex Plus accout.
You can do the following with any credit card without incurring ATM fees but you still have to pay commission.

Walk into a bank with card and passport (I use Kasikorn), ask if there are charges for withdrawing from your UK account, if so, walk out and try another bank. Once you have found a branch that doesn't charge (none are meant to charge but the staff don't know) request to withdraw said amount.
Get friends account number and bank, go to a branch of their bank and deposit in the deposit machine (I would do this in several drops).
Note: Halifax does not charge for foreign purchases or foreign cash but charges interest on a daily basis so as soon as possible you have to settle the account. 
Note 2: Halifax use Mastercard exchange rate which is beats all exchange rates over here, Nationwide use Visa

4 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

It is possible to do this without incurring fees if you have a Halifax Clarity Card or a Nationwide Flex Plus accout.
You can do the following with any credit card without incurring ATM fees but you still have to pay commission.

Walk into a bank with card and passport (I use Kasikorn), ask if there are charges for withdrawing from your UK account, if so, walk out and try another bank. Once you have found a branch that doesn't charge (none are meant to charge but the staff don't know) request to withdraw said amount.
Get friends account number and bank, go to a branch of their bank and deposit in the deposit machine (I would do this in several drops).
Note: Halifax does not charge for foreign purchases or foreign cash but charges interest on a daily basis so as soon as possible you have to settle the account. 
Note 2: Halifax use Mastercard exchange rate which is beats all exchange rates over here, Nationwide use Visa

Whether you pay a fee, pay commission, pay ATM fees or pay a marked-up exchange rate, you still pay - Halifax and Nationwide don't do these things for free out of love of their customers.

You need to set this up with Nat West but can do it all online from here if you have online banking.

The max you can send at any one time is £10,000 and it will cost £22 to send (4 days) or £30 to arrive next day.

Are sure you send the money in Sterling and you will get a much better rate than if you get Nat West to send Baht.

8 hours ago, Alidiver said:

Walk into a bank with card and passport (I use Kasikorn), ask if there are charges for withdrawing from your UK account, if  so, walk out and try another bank. Once you have found a branch that doesn't charge (none are meant to charge but the staff don't know) request to withdraw said amount.

A Halifax Clarity is a credit card, (which I have and used to use for ATM withdrawals), so will not transfer money from your UK bank account. It must be a 'debit' card such as the Nationwide card u mention. Ive never been able to find out from friends who have done these in bank transfers whether they get the Mastercard rate or the bank's inferior exchange rate.....In your case Kasikorn bank's inferior exchange rate.  As others have said, Transferwise is a simple, quick online option, and as well as having the best exchange rate I can find, even after their charge, transfers also incur no charge whatsoever from the Thai receiving bank, at least from my Kasikorn Bank. Use this link to sign up and the 1st £500 of your 1st transfer will be free making it even cheaper:

https://transferwise.com/u/terencep15

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I used Transferwise in the end.  The test transfer took a bit of understanding and organising due to lack of precedent and experience.  The 2nd transfer took 90 seconds and was in the Kasikorn account the following day.

SunsetT sent me a ' fee free ' link and will have benefitted by £50 as a result.

On 23/03/2018 at 8:00 PM, LisuLover said:

Thanks guys, I used Transferwise in the end.  The test transfer took a bit of understanding and organising due to lack of precedent and experience.  The 2nd transfer took 90 seconds and was in the Kasikorn account the following day.

SunsetT sent me a ' fee free ' link and will have benefitted by £50 as a result.

Thanks but not quite.......It takes 3 referrals to to get £50.

So here is the link again......haha.....

https://transferwise.com/u/terencep15

Did u notice that there is also no charge from the receiving 'Kasikorn' bank? Unlike all other transfer methods I have previously used.

10 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Did u notice that there is also no charge from the receiving 'Kasikorn' bank? Unlike all other transfer methods I have previously used.

I using SCB and if im not wrong they dont charge.

On 26/03/2018 at 2:47 AM, SunsetT said:

Good! Hopefully all Thai banks dont charge to receive money through Transferwise.

they wont and cant charge as the money is wired in from within thailand

Archived