Cambodian men jailed for raping French tourists at knifepoint on Thai island

webfact

Cambodian men jailed for raping French tourists at knifepoint on Thai island

cambo.jpg

FILE PHOTO: A Cambodian fisherman, who is a suspect (C), points during a crime re-enactment at Koh Kood island near Thailand's maritime border with Cambodia, February 29, 2016. REUTERS/Dailynews

Five Cambodian men have each been sentenced to 50 years in jail for a brutal attack on a group of foreign tourists on a Thai beach.

Two French women were violently assaulted and raped at knife point during the attack which took place on Koh Kood in 2016.

All five men were found guilty of rape during the trial on Monday and given the maximum sentence allowed under Thai law. One of the defendants was also convicted of attempted murder.

The court heard how the five Cambodian men swam to the beach in Koh Kood, also known as Koh Kut, to carry out the attack on four French tourists.

During the attack, two injured male victims escaped to raise the alarm and the attackers were arrested shortly after.

The five men confessed to the crime and were set upon by angry locals during a reenactment days after the attack.

Thailand remains a popular tourist destination, despite a slew of high-profile crimes against tourists.

The government expects more than 35 million people to visit Thailand this year.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-06

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

If they were Thai I would expect the sentence to be far more lenient

Impossible.  Thai people do not commit crimes against tourists.  My first thought when I saw this is that the Cambodians are being framed, but it looks like they caught the right guys this time.  Who knows.  Wouldn't it be nice if you could trust the legal and justice system to do the right thing and the news outlets to report accurately?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How is one supposed to know what has been written, without first reading it ?

Most people can quickly  identify the subject matter and make a rationale decision about whether to continue or not. 

But not everyone, that's why I wrote "most people".

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

50 years ! Most people won't be around in 50 years, 

these 5 , certainly will not.

Better to offer them a tablet, save space.

Well, they are Cambodian. Had they been Thai, I doubt they would have gone down for so long.

"two injured male victims escaped to raise the alarm and the attackers were arrested shortly after."

Ok, they got the guys who did it.... but it appears the girls got raped before they were apprehended. 

In the pic, the cambodian looks like he's maybe 90 pounds soaking wet with boots on. Knife or not, you can't fight off these dudes?

I'm not letting anybody rape anybody near me, weapon or no weapon. You'd think over half a century of teasing the French about their backbone might exact some effect...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Thailand remains a popular tourist destination, despite a slew of high-profile crimes against tourists.

How much longer?

I would imagine Thailand will be a popular holiday destination for many years to come.

Just because you and other posters here have become jaded with the country, for whatever

reasons, the average holiday maker won't check what the good people of thaivisa think

about the state of the nation before booking their trip.

The vast majority will come, enjoy and go home without any drama whatsoever.

31 minutes ago, seminomadic said:

"two injured male victims escaped to raise the alarm and the attackers were arrested shortly after."

Ok, they got the guys who did it.... but it appears the girls got raped before they were apprehended. 

In the pic, the cambodian looks like he's maybe 90 pounds soaking wet with boots on. Knife or not, you can't fight off these dudes?

I'm not letting anybody rape anybody near me, weapon or no weapon. You'd think over half a century of teasing the French about their backbone might exact some effect...

You really think you could fight off 5 armed men by yourself? Fishermen are usually fit and strong so I very much doubt you would last long. Instead of trying to subdue the attackers and risking everyone being killed the French men used their heads and fought their way out to get help which obviously was not too far away.

Edited by chang1
  • Like 1

Wish you guys would stop say they got 50 years because they were Cambodian, if they were Thai they would have got a lot less....When we all know that no Thai would ever do such a thing.