FDA and Fisheries Department assure fish from Fukushima safe for consumption

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

How do we know what fish has been imported from there so we can avoid it?  I'll not order any fish again here unless I see it swimming - too many restaurants will buy it in the cheap and pass off as Cod or Sea Bass just like cheap Pangasius from mercury infested Mekong.

The fish is flounder and has been imported to be sold to 12 Japanese restaurants in Bangkok for sashimi and sushi.

If you have any concerns you could always take your handheld geiger counter with you for testing at the table. P.S make sure you find a table near a plug-in power point.

Geiger counter.jpg

Edited by Cadbury

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't know about the uneducated part, but I certainly agree about the useless part. They have a long history of having proven themselves useless when it comes to protecting the health of people living in Thailand against tainted foods and other products.

But, to be fair, they have a lot of strong competition from other Thai government departments in the most "useless" competition.

Wasn't it just last week a report was posted on TV about Thai farmers and some villagers in the north being sick and dying ...and the culprit was excessive use of Paraquat (7 to 8 times over the suggested limit)

Paraquat's use in other countries is banned!!

So why hasn't the Thai FDA banned it in Thailand?...if farmers are using it 7 to 8 times over the limit then it is in/on your food...in the supermarkets and fresh markets right down to the street sellers 2 wheeled cart.......Farmers grow food that's their livelihood

Thailand's FDA are useless.

• Like 1

This is actually an interesting case.

Thailand has set the acceptable level at 500Bq/kg.

Japan's standard is more stringent at 100.

Europe is at 600!!

The US FDA? 1200!!!

So, if the TH FDA actually measures and enforces the limit, they are ahead of the US and Europe.

Of course, the standard recommended by those truly concerned about your health is 5Bq/kg.

Personally, with this news, I will not be eating any fish in any Japanese restaurant. Period.

• Like 2

I meant they cooled the corium at Chernobyl.  The missing coriums at Fukushima were not cooled.   Yes Chernobyl is still a death zone.  But at least it was built on good strata and the corium is an elephant.   At Fukushima Japan was lucky for the wind direction but the US and USS Ronald Reagan got dusted.  The radioactive plume went around the globe several times.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/23/us-sailors-fell-sick-fukushima-radiation-allowed-sue-japan-nuclear/amp/

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 4:59 AM, webfact said:

Importers must produce certificates specifying the amount of radioactive substances and the origin of the food. 

Looks like some Khaosan artists will be very busy in the near future. Wonder how much they will charge for a certificate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, timendres said:

Europe is at 600!!

The US FDA? 1200!!!

So, if the TH FDA actually measures and enforces the limit, they are ahead of the US and Europe.

Of course, the standard recommended by those truly concerned about your health is 5Bq/kg.

Personally, with this news, I will not be eating any fish in any Japanese restaurant. Period.

While the variation in acceptable levels of radiation is interesting, it's not the defining issue for me as regards Thailand and its FDA.

For me, the defining issues here are: whether I believe that the locals would actually seriously enforce whatever standard they set, and whether their testing/analysis can be relied upon to be accurate/truthful.

And for both of those issues, for me, I wouldn't believe them regardless. The only thing I do believe here with the government on these kinds of matters is -- if there's enough money to be made or influence brought to bear, they'll say everything is OK.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, timendres said:

Europe is at 600!!

The US FDA? 1200!!!

Now that is genuinely shocking!