Buriram: So unnecessary as Year 10 student dies on his way to school

webfact

3 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Dunno who's right here, but after viewing this video I have decided to review my policy of strict adherence to the "drive on the left unless overtaking" rule.

Obey the rules all of them and keep your wits about you and stay lucky not much more to be done

Well eyes in the back of your head would be a distinct advantage

10 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Obey the rules all of them and keep your wits about you and stay lucky not much more to be done

Well eyes in the back of your head would be a distinct advantage

Had the baht bus been in the right lane he wouldn't have killed this poor sod. 

Many people on TV over the years have claimed that the shoulder lane is the motorbike lane even when it is not marked as one, so if that is the case then the student has not broken the law by passing the truck on the left hand side in that respect. With the student, no licence or no registration we do not know about, but not wearing a helmet is a breach of the law but it did not cause the accident. With the other rider we do not know about his licence or registration but we do know that he rode throw a stop sign and failed to give way to the traffic on the priority road which is a breach of the law and it is this action that has caused the accident and therefore has caused the death of another person.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Well just a bit more to it than that I reckon, but as I say obey the rules all of them

Have a look at the video and see how many cars used the centre of the road to make 3 lanes on a 2 lane road.

13 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Had the baht bus been in the right lane he wouldn't have killed this poor sod. 

The baht bus was in the lane where he was supposed to be, the baht bus driver did not kill this student.

If the other rider coming out of the soi had of stopped at the stop sign and given way to the traffic on the priority road then the student would not have been knocked under the wheels of the baht bus and killed.

It is quite clear that there are many on here who do not know the road laws. There is only one person responsible for this accident and that is the person that failed to stop at the stop sign and give way to all the traffic on the priority road

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

Have a look at the video and see how many cars used the centre of the road to make 3 lanes on a 2 lane road. The baht bus was in the lane where he was supposed to be

If the other rider coming out of the soi had of stopped at the stop sign and given way to the traffic on the priority road then the student would not have been knocked under the wheels of the baht bus and killed.

It is quite clear that there are many on here who do not know the road laws. There is only one person responsible for this accident and that is the person that failed to stop at the stop sign and give way to all the traffic on the priority road

Finally you agree with something I have posted congratulations 

12 hours ago, Get Real said:

Unnecessary, accident and could been avoided. Boring to hear all the time.

But it never, ever gets boring to schoolmarm about Thai driving and call Thai drivers morons and brainless, now does it? 

Just now, JSixpack said:

But it never, ever gets boring to schoolmarm about Thai driving and call Thai drivers morons and brainless, now does it? 

Yes, yet another another useless hypertension inducing thread with a liberal sprinkling of links to the Thai highway code.

• Like 1

In Thailand you may make a free left turn at any time, presumably as long as it was a give-way intersection and not a compulsory stop one, in which case.........!!   But anyway, it might help save a few lives if you demonstrated a few brain cells and were to look first before just driving out, as the side soi bike guy OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T.  And no helmet on the poor guy who died, may or may not have tipped the balance depending on how it all unfolded. And as for that song thaew driver, doing a drive on ........... words fail me.  Another day in Paradise !!  Oh Dear.   How very, VERY sad. 

Edited by The Deerhunter

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, yet another another useless hypertension inducing thread with a liberal sprinkling of links to the Thai highway code.

News of a waste of a life is a “useless thread” ?

More useless was your need to post something pointless.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I could not watch the part of the video which I assumed was the distressed mother

I see nothing else in this thread to even begin to induce higher blood pressure  

It is abundantly clear by now the Department of Transport will never change their ways and will never provide resources so that motorcyclists can learn good habits.:bah:
So maybe they should start teaching it in the schools "survival skills on Thai roads " - one hour a week and show videos of some of these brainless manoeuvres.
Thailand has reached crisis point regarding this matter.

Just now, Jip99 said:

News of a waste of a life is a “useless thread” ?

More useless was your need to post something pointless.

No. The hypertension induced by 'debating' who was at faul, rehashing opinions on Thai driving abilities, lack of spatial (not spacial) awareness and cultural indifference is what is useless.

Just now, oldlakey said:

I could not watch the part of the video which I assumed was the distressed mother

I see nothing else in this thread to even begin to induce higher blood pressure  

Then you are simply not trying hard enough. See above.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No. The hypertension induced by 'debating' who was at faul, rehashing opinions on Thai driving abilities, lack of spatial (not spacial) awareness and cultural indifference is what is useless.

Oh, I think debating fault is a waste of time as it is rather like Murder on the Orient Express.....

They ALL did it.

(I hope that wasn't a spoiler if you haven't yet seen the film.....)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Trying harder wont help as I am well aware what to expect

I do like to help the thread along now and again though

Its always more interesting when an ex- pat is involved as regards the money side and how long they will spend in the Bangkok Hilton

Well over 200 posts so far so not to be sniffed it

43 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Have a look at the video and see how many cars used the centre of the road to make 3 lanes on a 2 lane road.

The baht bus was in the lane where he was supposed to be, the baht bus driver did not kill this student.

I'm confused. Are you saying that a single violation of traffic laws was responsible for this tragic accident? 

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

I'm confused. Are you saying that a single violation of traffic laws was responsible for this tragic accident? 

That is correct. It was a single violation of the traffic laws that caused this accident. The rider that failed to stop at the stop sign and give way to all the traffic on the priority road was the cause of this accident. Leading up to the accident the student and the baht bus driver were doing the right thing, but it was after the accident that things went wrong as well with the baht bus driver leaving the scene of the accident.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

That is correct. It was a single violation of the traffic laws that caused this accident. The rider that failed to stop at the stop sign and give way to all the traffic on the priority road was the cause of this accident. Leading up to the accident the student and the baht bus driver were doing the right thing, but it was after the accident that things went wrong as well with the baht bus driver leaving the scene of the accident.

If you look closely at the photo I posted you will see that the white line does not actually go right across the road. The left side lane has no stop line. Does that mean that a left turn is legal? If so the rider did not violate any traffic laws. As you have already mentioned, we do not know who had licences and what vehicles were legally registered. Was the truck overloaded? Was anyone speeding? 

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Post #74 clearly suggests that you would not be expecting a car in front to slow down.

I don’t see how a motorbike slowing down a little before that junction would increase the chances of an accident. We certainly have evidence showing that NOT slowing down contributes to @n accident.

No it doesn't.  It has nothing to do with how I drive.  The poster did not say slow down a little, they said they would not want to be on the inside of a songtaew when it was near a junction.  They said they would use their mirrors and take action by slowing down if they felt that that was going to happen.  If the songtaew approaches at speed and you are already very close to the junction, that implies potentially slowing down a lot.  If you disagree that slowing down for no reason (you can debate if there is a reason or not but most drivers would not see a reason) is not likely to cause an accident, then I wonder why there are so many crashes at roundabouts all over the world when the car in front stops instead of proceeding onto the roundabout as the driver behind is expecting.  Or even crashes at red lights when the car in front stops at an amber light and the driver behind is expecting it to continue and cannot brake in time.  If you disagree that the poster's actions are more likely to cause an accident that prevent it, then we'll just have to leave it at that, since neither of us has any data to back up our hypotheses (I assume).

8 minutes ago, puchooay said:

If you look closely at the photo I posted you will see that the white line does not actually go right across the road. The left side lane has no stop line. Does that mean that a left turn is legal? If so the rider did not violate any traffic laws. As you have already mentioned, we do not know who had licences and what vehicles were legally registered. Was the truck overloaded? Was anyone speeding? 

Slight semantics on stop/give way scenario - but Mr blue helmet was at fault for not observing approaching vehicles before filtering into the flow of traffic on the main highway.

The poor deceased lad is not totally blameless (no helmet, lack of awareness of Mr blue helmet, riding too close to another bike..) but he would likely be alive today were it not for the stupidity of Mr blue helmet.

10 minutes ago, puchooay said:

whether people had licences or were speeding or legally registered doesn't stop the fact that the guy came out of the side road onto the main road without even looking & had he not hit that motorcycle may have even came out far enough to run under the other vehicle himself . I would say it is his fault alone even if none of them held licences

Just now, Jip99 said:

Slight semantics on stop/give way scenario - but Mr blue helmet was at fault for not observing approaching vehicles before filtering into the flow of traffic on the main highway.

The poor deceased lad is not totally blameless (no helmet, lack of awareness of Mr blue helmet, riding too close to another bike..) but he would likely be alive today were it not for the stupidity of Mr blue helmet.

I totally agree, as I pointed out in my first post on this thread. 

It is driving standard and lack of awareness that has caused this tragic accident. Not a single violation of traffic law. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

If you have got a licence then how did you get it or are you just trying to be a smart ass and flame this thread?. Anyone who has a licence knows that the white stop line and the stop sign means that ALL vehicles stop and give way. There is no such thing in this case as a left turn lane. So the bike coming out of the soi broke the law so you better sit down and do some study so that you will know the law when you go for you licence. By your definition the bike rider was not traveling on the legal road, he was traveling on the shoulder of the road. Your other points have nothing to do with the cause of the accident. Was anyone speeding? YES, the bike rider who came out of the soi because if you open your eyes and look at the video you will see that the only thing that stopped him from going in front of the truck was by him hitting the student, if he had of come out of the soi slowly then he could have stayed on the left edge of the road and not hit the student. I suggest that you learn to drive and go and get a licence and then you might know what people are talking about

3 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

No it doesn't.  It has nothing to do with how I drive.  The poster did not say slow down a little, they said they would not want to be on the inside of a songtaew when it was near a junction.  They said they would use their mirrors and take action by slowing down if they felt that that was going to happen.  If the songtaew approaches at speed and you are already very close to the junction, that implies potentially slowing down a lot.  If you disagree that slowing down for no reason (you can debate if there is a reason or not but most drivers would not see a reason) is not likely to cause an accident, then I wonder why there are so many crashes at roundabouts all over the world when the car in front stops instead of proceeding onto the roundabout as the driver behind is expecting.  Or even crashes at red lights when the car in front stops at an amber light and the driver behind is expecting it to continue and cannot brake in time.  If you disagree that the poster's actions are more likely to cause an accident that prevent it, then we'll just have to leave it at that, since neither of us has any data to back up our hypotheses (I assume).

Driving with caution (including slowing down) to meet road conditions is never an offence. 

I am am not going to debate easing off vs slowing down, my position is that there is always a place for caution.

4 minutes ago, whatwasithinking said:

whether people had licences or were speeding or legally registered doesn't stop the fact that the guy came out of the side road onto the main road without even looking & had he not hit that motorcycle may have even came out far enough to run under the other vehicle himself . I would say it is his fault alone even if none of them held licences

100% correct........ any number of other wrongs would never make the actions of Mr blue helmet right.

29 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

RIP young man. Hope it ended quickly and painlessly and your in happier place now. 

Safe bet it was agony and painful laying on the scorching street while his crushed internal organs bled out.

Too young and very sad.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Driving with caution (including slowing down) to meet road conditions is never an offence. 

It doesn't matter if it is an offence or not when the car behind hits you and sends your face skidding across the tarmac.  Tell your face it is not an offence and see if it stops hurting.