Need help to translate a passport stamp (Thai to English)

Yep, they came to my address. I know it's a ban for 5 years but I'd like to know exactly what else is says. I can't read Thai and the idea of trying to write this into google translate with a Thai keyboard is daunting. Does it say anything about being deported or why etc?

• Sad 1

It refers to the ministerial order setting out the penalties for overstays, depending on the length of the overstay and whether the offender has turned themselves in or been caught. It doesn't actually state that you were deported.

2 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

something is very amiss here

This is the penalty if you are caught. The OP said they came to his house. I wonder how they knew of the overstay? Match VOA/extension records with 90-day reports of residency/housemaster reports?

image.png.27c42bb188dcbca3c16f036cbc498137.png

Thanks for the help. I'm glad to see it doesn't say I was deported. I read that as long as you accept the charges, go to court, pay the fine etc and buy your air ticket out as agreed with immigration within one week they don't actually deport you or stamp that you were deported in your passport, you just get a ban. All these things I did and was very cooperative. I want to go to Malaysia and I'm really worried about my prospects of travelling and working abroad after what happened. That's mainly why I'm trying to find out more about this stamp and what exactly it says.

Yes, they came to my house and "caught me". I had been staying in Thailand (in Chiang Mai) for 5 years already, always with legal visas (mostly ED or work not just tourist) and working legally online and never for Thai companies without a visa. I think the police and everyone else involved was surprised too, they were expecting me to have overstayed by 90 days or more. Sii Wan is all I heard over and over again. I have overstayed longer before and happily exited and paid the fine. I'm not sure how or why this happened for a 4 day overstay. Apparently they are cracking down, I was also told that I came up on an alarm on their new system which triggers after 2 days of overstay. I would highly advise anyone tourist or local not to overstay any visa longer than 1 day as on the second day you are all fair game whether you have overstayed 2 days or 100. Basically as an overstayer you are breaking the law and can't expect lenient treatment as an illegal with no valid visa if caught.

I suppose it's easier to catch people who are not intentionally overstaying as they would not put a false address too :)

Very unfortunate turn of events. Do you or anyone know what Sii wan means?

1 hour ago, lungbing said:

For a four day overstay?

1 day overstay is actually enough, if you are caught by immigration officers before getting to the border/airport....And the OP was clearly caught at his home address..

• Like 1

Sii Wan means four days. I think everyone working was as surprised as I was. My advice to anyone is don't overstay, Thailand is getting a lot stricter. You don't want to spend a day in a detention cell never mind a week like I did, as lovely as all the police and immigration officers were.

• Like 1

Sii wan means obviously 4 days ;)

Actually the interesting part is not readable

The first part of the stamp is just something like that you did something wrong under some specified law and are now banned from entering Thailand for 5 years

The last line of the stamp says something like: Go to the exit (probably border) and leave the Kingdom

So the part after the "5 bee" could now say something like: You can go there by yourself. Or it can say you are taken there. Anybody has a picture of this stamp where everything is readable?

For your future travels to other countries: Get a new passport, then the other countries won't know about it.

Edited by jackdd

I was not given any time, fortunately my partner was asked to do this for me and I had a week of him bringing additional things to add to my baggage. I think if you are living alone you would be given some time though I would say it would not be enough to wrap up your affairs like deposit and any pets etc. You can get visitors and communicate during your time in detention though. And yes, I was held until I had attended court, paid the fine and bought a ticket and was sent back to my own country at my own expense (no options to go anywhere else). Apparently they are now actively searching for anyone who is overstaying 2 days or more so that's why I say my advice is to not overstay even one day now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Sii wan means obviously 4 days ;)

Actually the interesting part is not readable

The first part of the stamp is just something like that you did something wrong under some specified law and are now banned from entering Thailand for 5 years

The last line of the stamp says something like: Go to the exit (probably border) and leave the Kingdom

So the part after the "5 bee" could now say something like: You can go there by yourself. Or it can say you are taken there. Anybody has a picture of this stamp where everything is readable?

For your future travels to other countries: Get a new passport, then the other countries won't know about it.

The only thing that is really unreadable there is the single word ราชอาณาจักร, meaning 'kingdom' (comes again right at the end). It says he's not permitted to enter the kingdom for a period of 5 years.
The other word not fully clear is นับแต่, 'since/from'. So the last line makes it 'a period of 5 years from the day he leaves the kingdom.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

3 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

The only thing that is unreadable there is the single word ราชอาณาจักร, meaning 'kingdom' (comes again right at the end). It says he's not permitted to enter the kingdom for a period of 5 years.

I mean the line before: "5 bee nab ???" But maybe the missing part is just related to nab (count) and declares how to count the 5 years.

Edited by jackdd

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

I mean the line before: "5 bee nab ???" But maybe the missing part is just related to nab (count) and declares how to count the 5 years.

Sorry, just editing. Yes. นับแต่ 'starting from'

Yes, it was pretty harsh. Not an advisable experience, especially as the last one before unwillingly leaving your non-official home of 5 years for at least the next 5 years. Officers and police were lovely but sitting in a detention cell for days before flying on a long haul flight "home" with an untidily packed bag of your measly belongings, a completely shattered life, a crushed ego and a red stamp in your passport. Not so fun.

As to two day alarm, judging by my experience I would say they are cracking down or alternatively I've done something so terrible they couldn't officially report it, needed to track me down immediately to get rid of me and it's something I'm completely unaware of doing. Up to you what to believe :)

Thanks for the help to translate^^

• Like 1

thing is in the past and even until very recently when i have had friends visit me and maybe they had a few days extra until their flight or wanted to just stay an extra couple of days i've always said don't worry about it just pay on your way out. luckily that has always been fine but certainly won't be recommending that anymore. what i find strange about this is that they came to your house and it seems as you said they searched you out. but if it was a 2 day alarm thing then why were they surprised as you mentioned that you only had a 4 day over stay. surely if it was down to some system alert they would have known exactly how many days you had overstayed before coming to your house. Perhaps someone grassed you up thinking you were a long term over stayer when in fact you weren't. I'd be very disappointed in thai immo if they were in fact going on their system or getting alerts to find people who had given them their correct addresses to look for people with a few days over stay to arrest them knowing they would face a 5 year ban

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

Perhaps someone grassed you up thinking you were a long term over stayer when in fact you weren't.

Could have been someone who knew that he was on a few day overstay and wanted him out the country for some reason .

Could even have been that someone closer to home was compliant in his overstay and set him up ?

*Do you visa run next week and just pay the overstay fine* kind of thing ?

* Ring ring, hello Immigration, I would like to report an overstayer*

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 11:54 AM, Phuket Man said:

We all know the rules.

Harsh or not they are written down in black and white.

TVF cops who revel in the misfortune of their own kind are out in force today.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry this happened to you but thanks for posting; it's a good wake-up call for all to be diligent about the possibility of committing an overstay.  I, like many others, always thought a short (accidental) overstay wasn't a big deal...just pay a fine upon exiting, and that's that.  Your story puts a completely different light on things.