Thai Id Card

I wonder if anyone can help - or at least put us in the right direction. I know that this is not what this sub-forum is for - but I wouldn't know where to put it.

My wife got her Thai passport 4 years ago - when she went to get it there was a problem. When her ID number was put in a picture of some guy came up. We were told we had to go back to her province to sort it out - where we were going to anyway. So we paid for a new one and that was it.

Now we are heading back to Scotland after spending the last year in LOS and my wife went to get a new passport - the exact same problem has come up again. This time we do not want to go cross country to sort out a problem that was 'fixed' 4 years ago.

What I would like to know is who my wife can speak to sort out this problem? Is there any sort of ombudsman here? Since this has happened in the past, is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening again. Next time we might not be so lucky as to be in LOS when it happens.

We have tickets to go back to the UK at the start of May - so we have a bit of time to sort it out, but not ages. Her Uk residency papers are in the old passport - so it is really just a case of getting the passport and we are sorted.

Thanks for any advice.

My mum has had the same problem. Her passport is still valid so it is not a problem for her now, but, she has had problems getting an ID card.

You may need to visit the central registry office. Dunno where this is located in BKK though.

Problem stems from the fact that certain corrupt people register new names on the ID number of people who seem to be 'inactive'. My mother was a victim of this, having lived in OZ for 35 odd years.

It took her a couple of visits to the central registy (ask any Ampur where this may be) for them to even find her old records. It then became clear that someone then had stolen her ID number. She was lucky, as she had old passports and her old Thai ID. Once this was sorted, she got on the Tabien Baan - back at the Ampur, but has to wait for the next visit to get her first ID since 1978!