Generations of senior managers behind welfare fraud,claims ex-staffer

webfact

Generations of senior managers behind welfare fraud,claims ex-staffer

By The Nation

90721dcad130a08fc50ddcb84fa512e8.jpeg

The alleged embezzlement of state funds involving protection centres for the destitute in many provinces was part of a long-established, nationwide network linked to senior officials in the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, a retired official said yesterday.

This kind of irregularity, involving large amounts of state funds allocated to help the poor and needy, had existed since the ministry’s Department of Social Development and Welfare was known as the Department of Public Welfare under the Interior Ministry, according to the exofficial.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that after the agency became part of the new ministry, corrupt, highranking officials before their retirement “planted their trusted people” in key positions at the Department of Social Development and Welfare. The department is the ministry’s largest and is often allocated the biggest portion of its budget.

“Planted” officials later set up their own networks of trusted people at different protection centres for the destitute and selfhelp settlements throughout the country, which are overseen by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security.

Officials at those agencies in the provinces often skimmed funds allocated from the ministry and always kept a large share as “payback” for the senior officials in Bangkok who had sent them to those offices, according to the source.

“This practice has been passed on for generations [of officials],” the source told Nation TV’s “Hunt for Truth” investigative reporting programme.

“This kind of corruption first happened when there was the Department of Public Welfare. That was before the major bureaucratic reform in 2002,” the source said.

Officials at the provincial offices who sent a “satisfactory share” to Bangkok were often rewarded with coveted executive positions in the ministry, according to the source.

The alleged irregularities involve the budget for “specialpurpose grants to help the destitute” that is allocated to the Department of Social Development and Welfare. The budget is intended for lowincome families, the homeless, HIV patients and destitute people who need money to return to their home provinces. 

The alleged scandal was first exposed by a university student who was sent to train as part of a community development course at the Khon Kaen Protection Centre for the Destitute. Panida Yotpanya, a senior student at Maha Sarakham University, reported a suspected irregularity to authorities after she was ordered to fill in false information on official documents and falsify the signatures of supposed aid recipients. 

Her claim led to investigations by the Public AntiCorruption Commission (PACC) of dozens of protection centres for the destitute all over the country.

The investigators discovered that other local officials and residents had also been involved in the irregularities, in addition to officials at the provincial agencies, PACC secretarygeneral Korntip Daroj said yesterday.

Those people were involved by obtaining benefits or influencing the irregularities in the first place, he added.

“However, the investigation has yet to find any connection to local politicians or the permanent secretary or deputy permanent secretary of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security,” the PACC chief said.

Of the 37 main targets of the probe, investigators have found suspected irregular behaviour in 24 provinces, according to Korntip.

He said the PACC expected to complete its investigation into all 76 protection centres for the destitute by the end of May.

In a related development, a team of PACC investigators met 84 local residents in Khon Kaen whose names were used without their consent to claim aid. 

The people are mainly villagers and health volunteers. Many told investigators that they had never applied for aid and that their signatures had been falsified, with photocopies of their ID cards being used without their permission. Others said they had received a small share of aid requested on their behalf without their knowledge.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30340431

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-08

2 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am not an expert in such matters, but this scheme bears a great resemblance to a Mafia kick-back operation that spans generations.

Anyone disagree?

When are we going to see the 'higher-ups' arrested and sent to jail?

Sorry, sometimes I say the most ridiculous things...

That would be a logical conclusion.

But,of course,this is what the sakdina system is all about and has been the most prevalent system (with many permutations) throughout the history of human civilization.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“Planted” officials later set up their own networks of trusted people at different protection centres for the destitute and selfhelp settlements throughout the country,

discouraging to hear and likely the technique used across the board in many other areas;

perversely understandable given the ages of people that started this , they grew up and acquired their 'values' in a much poorer thailand and their mindsets were to acquire monies by any-means-necessary ((no,no i don't condone it))

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Sad fact about this is the people skimming money off these schemes do not think they are doing wrong.

They consider it as a perk of the job.

They handed over serious money to get their positions, and they are just clawing it back.

Agree with you on this point Colin, seems totally embedded.

What to do?.. rip it and start again?.. i doubt it that work.

I wonder how much of the budget is skimmed yearly...frightening i reckon.

Edited by james.d
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am not an expert in such matters, but this scheme bears a great resemblance to a Mafia kick-back operation that spans generations.

Anyone disagree?

When are we going to see the 'higher-ups' arrested and sent to jail?

Sorry, sometimes I say the most ridiculous things...

Yes its a stupid thing to say, but like you I hope they finally get some of the higher ups. Many people wont be happy that this system is now exposed. I wonder how long before it is up and running again (the corruption). Maybe the PM who needs to show people he is anti corruption will make an example out of a few of them. It would be better then nothing. 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

The sheer scale of this operation is breath-taking.  I cannot fathom how this scam has been allowed to continue for so long.  It begs the question of how many other state enterprises are similarly afflicted and what the likely punishments might be for officials caught up in this.

I hope there is some punishment, but if its so wide spread.. i doubt much will be done.. maybe they don't even dismantle the system. Some people are not happy at all that this came out 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“However, the investigation has yet to find any connection to local politicians or the permanent secretary or deputy permanent secretary of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security,” the PACC chief said.

Maybe the PACC should be investigated too. So far they have been reactive rather than proactive. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I hope there is some punishment, but if its so wide spread.. i doubt much will be done.. maybe they don't even dismantle the system. Some people are not happy at all that this came out 

No nothing will be done. Maybe a tail-ender will be punished.. It seems to be ingrained..like a father / son chat.

<deleted> steal what you can.

You bought the khaki uniform, so,,,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

The sheer scale of this operation is breath-taking.  I cannot fathom how this scam has been allowed to continue for so long.  It begs the question of how many other state enterprises are similarly afflicted and what the likely punishments might be for officials caught up in this.

You make two excellent points.

How many other state enterprises are similarly affected?

I would guess all of them to one extent or another. Can you think of a reason that they wouldn't be? Seriously?

What are the likely punishments?

Nothing, really. I know that sounds both sad and defeatist, but given the sheer number of people likely involved across many different ministries (each with their own little scams), you'd literally have to jail... tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Or, you just sweep it under the carpet. Which do you think will happen?

I need a shower.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, james.d said:

No nothing will be done. Maybe a tail-ender will be punished.. It seems to be ingrained..like a father / son chat.

<deleted> steal what you can.

You bought the khaki uniform, so,,,

This has nothing to do with the army, these are civil servants and i would even go so far that this has nothing to do with politicians as it seems to date back so long it was there under governments of all colors. 

would be really great to finally see the govt actually hold those top dogs accountable for this, they always get those lower down but never the ones that are running the show. Would also be great to see them go back as far as possible to get all of those involved and seize all their assets etc so that they do not get to keep their proceeds of crime to better their own lives. I know for fact customs in the ports are also creaming money off businesses by making them pay a percentage of their profits each month or they dont allow their shipments to leave port on time making them pay late fees on those shipments when  they arrive, this involves millions of baht but again no one will touch them, all govt depts are corrupt as hell and they all use their positions to get their kick backs, have to wonder when we will finally see someone actually take them all to account, would save the country billions

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Samui Bodoh said:

You make two excellent points.

How many other state enterprises are similarly affected?

I would guess all of them to one extent or another. Can you think of a reason that they wouldn't be? Seriously?

What are the likely punishments?

Nothing, really. I know that sounds both sad and defeatist, but given the sheer number of people likely involved across many different ministries (each with their own little scams), you'd literally have to jail... tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Or, you just sweep it under the carpet. Which do you think will happen?

I need a shower.

Yes the sheer size will make it impossible to sack all the people too.. so I wonder if anything will be done to stop it. I highly doubt it. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

This has nothing to do with the army, these are civil servants and i would even go so far that this has nothing to do with politicians as it seems to date back so long it was there under governments of all colors. 

Civil Servants wear khaki. The Army wears green. He was referring to civil servants.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

Civil Servants wear khaki. The Army wears green. He was referring to civil servants.

Strike one up for my lack of English knowledge.. i thought Khaki was green. Now i see that its some sort of light brown.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Strike one up for my lack of English knowledge.. i thought Khaki was green. Now i see that its some sort of light brown.

From an Indian phrase for "dusty" I believe. The British troops in India in the C19 died their white drill uniforms a dusty brown " khaki" colour to make them less conspicuous when on active service.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAG said:

From an Indian phrase for "dusty" I believe. The British troops in India in the C19 died their white drill uniforms a dusty brown " khaki" colour to make them less conspicuous when on active service.

For some reason I connected Khaki to army and thought it was green. Read about Khaki uniforms (ok i k now not only army wears uniforms). Just something in my mind. 

Those troops were smart.. i mean camouflage is needed  guess when your in the army. 

Anyway OT.. i really hope something will be done, but news like this really makes me a bit sad. Corruption is so deep routed here I wonder if it will ever change. I had hope at first under the junta.. but that started to fade when they did not go after their own. 

Now maybe the junta who is desperate to get some positive PR and can use a diversion go after these officials with a vengeance.. if so something positive gets out of all of this. (not really sure if this will happen given the scale of it) it looks like EVERYONE is into it and all take a cut high to low.

Just now, robblok said:

For some reason I connected Khaki to army and thought it was green. Read about Khaki uniforms (ok i k now not only army wears uniforms). Just something in my mind. 

Those troops were smart.. i mean camouflage is needed  guess when your in the army. 

Anyway OT.. i really hope something will be done, but news like this really makes me a bit sad. Corruption is so deep routed here I wonder if it will ever change. I had hope at first under the junta.. but that started to fade when they did not go after their own. 

Now maybe the junta who is desperate to get some positive PR and can use a diversion go after these officials with a vengeance.. if so something positive gets out of all of this. (not really sure if this will happen given the scale of it) it looks like EVERYONE is into it and all take a cut high to low.

They will only go after the gardener-as pointed out so early in this topic.

Why would the present gov't want to root out corruption?

At the present moment they are too busy whitewashing kitty cat graffiti..

Oh wait-Sheer altruism I suppose..:passifier:

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

They will only go after the gardener-as pointed out so early in this topic.

Why would the present gov't want to root out corruption?

At the present moment they are too busy whitewashing kitty cat graffiti..

Oh wait-Sheer altruism I suppose..:passifier:

The present government wants to root out corruption to make them look better.. unfortunately corruption by their own is not investigated. I guess it goes over your head to imagine the government to take this case and ga after people hard just to get that image back and to keep this in the news to blot out bad news about the government. 

No altruism.. just survival.