Valuables Needing a "re-entry Permit" now?

Curt1591

Here is some interesting news. Apparently, the Red Line isn't getting enough action.

Basically, among other stipulations, valuable items, taken out of the country, will need to be documented with Customs. Then, upon return, said items must be declared.

https://mgronline.com/onlinesection/detail/9610000022851

Sorry, Thai language only. 

We're getting ready to travel.....There's a big buzz among the "mobile" Thais about this with a lot of conflicting information regarding exclusions and compliance.....

She just bought a new camera & is worried about this but cannot find solid information = seems to change depending on source....

Before this came up I told her to bring her receipt just in case....

Watched this on the local television news this morning. It does suggest that if you are taking something of value out of the country temporarily, one needs to declare it to outbound Customs where they will photograph it, log it and give you a receipt. Then you re-declare it for duty-free re-entry with the inbound Customs at the Red channel. I can see anyone traveling with a newish, higher-end laptop (like a digital pikey) having his/her balls broken over this. The rough translation does have the caveat, "To obtain a duty exemption as a personal use, it must be old and not more than one of the same item." My i7 craptop is held together with bulldog clips so I won't be declaring it either way!

Nothing new really. Brazil had this arcane system in place a fair few years ago and it was a total pain in the butt, especially when I was FIFO with 2 identical laptops every time. Brazil and Thailand are pretty much 'up there' when it comes to silly, bureaucratic peccadilloes IMHO.

Edited by NanLaew

Just now, pgrahmm said:

We're getting ready to travel.....There's a big buzz among the "mobile" Thais about this with a lot of conflicting information regarding exclusions and compliance.....

She just bought a new camera & is worried about this but cannot find solid information = seems to change depending on source....

Before this came up I told her to bring her receipt just in case....

Again, the 'rough' translation:

"The important thing that travelers must know is that they travel abroad. If you take away valuable items such as watches, camcorders, cameras, portable computers. Marked with Checkable numbers. To notify the customs officer at the customs office at the departure lounge."

Meanwhile, further down says: 

"If it is a valuable item or a personal item taken by a passenger while traveling abroad. Usually used during the trip. Or dressing normally. Not inform the customs officer."

So it appears that we can still swan in and out while wearing expensive, designer, loaner wristwatches, just like the DPM can.

Logic suggests that the original sales receipt will be adequate proof of origin of the camera for inbound Customs but they still may have a cow because she never showed it to anyone on departure? Better declare it on departure until the newness of this silly edict wears off.

twas ever thus.

• Like 1

Meanwhile. the 'other newspaper' has the Customs department chief playing down this whole thing as just a suggestion... despite them having specific articles of new legislation drafted and in place to facilitate and enforce it.

Thailand... land of smoke and mirrors.

31 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I can just imagine the queues of people trying to submit the paper work and photos (taken by the officials?), checking serial numbers, getting receipts etc of the items.

Sounds like fun NOT!

My thoughts exactly ....