No, you don’t have to declare all your valuables before leaving Thailand

webfact

No, you don’t have to declare all your valuables before leaving Thailand

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTExOC81NTk0NTM5L25ld3MxMi5qcGc=.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thailand’s Customs Department have backtracked on a plan to make all outbound passengers declare valuables before leaving the country.

According to information posted on its website on February 26, anyone travelling out of Thailand is required to declare items such as cameras, watches and laptop computers.

Passengers need to submit serial numbers and two photos of each item before leaving Thailand, the websites states.

However, following fierce criticism on social media, officials have backtracked on the plan, saying the controversial requirement was only a suggestion.

The measure was intended to prevent problems for passengers when returning to Thailand with expensive items.

The idea of declaring items before a passenger leaves Thailand means they have proof that the items they are returning with belongs to them and have not been bought abroad.

However, people commenting on social media hit out at the plans and now officials from the Customs Department have attempted to clarify the situation.

According to Thairath, the requirement is not new and has actually been in place since in 1926.

It is also not required by law any declaration is on a voluntary basis, Customs officials said.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-08

Seems like a good idea on a voluntary basis- if you carry some valuable stuff out of the country, you report it upon departure and get to bring it back into the country without getting double (triple, quadruple?) dipped on the import duties. 

Requiring all passengers to report their outgoing goodies?  Not so smart.  But that sounds like an over-zealous employee posting something he wasn't qualified to post.  Isn't the first time.  Won't be the last...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This is an excellent suggestion for companies that send their valuable equipment out of Thailand for projects and end up having to pay import duty repeatedly when it returns.  The company I work for will save a fortune if this is the case.

• Like 1

Is it April already?

However many countries have this facility

So you can pre-empt grief on return by say 'declaring' the in country bona fides (and duties paid) of the $30,000 watch that will be departing/returning on your wrist.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

officials have backtracked on the plan, saying the controversial requirement was only a suggestion

1 hour ago, webfact said:

According to Thairath, the requirement is not new and has actually been in place since in 1926.

So, throwing the door open for selective abuse. This just sounds like a knee-jerk to toadboy's controversial collection of expensive watches.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Just another example of some idiot in high places kite flying without having small brain engaged. Testing the water to see if another avenue for scamming tourists and other visitors could be developed for the benefit of corrupt airport authorities. 

I assume that since the idea was to declare valuables before leaving the country so you won't be charged customs when you return to Thailand with the items, it was actually meant for Thais and not foreigners

Anytime I buy anything expensive that will travel abroad with me, I take a photograph of the receipt & warranty (as I have lost a few previously) and can show this if required.

Years ago when I was flying from the U.K. to Hong Kong & taking new camera etc, I asked at customs as I didn’t want to get hit for duty on my return, their reply was don’t worry we can tell what country it was bought in by the serial number which has inbuilt country coding.

Anything with a bar code is also country coded. The first number(s) which are separate from the main code indicates the country of origin -

UK is 5, Germany is 4 & Thailand is 9.

Just now, webfact said:

Passengers need to submit serial numbers and two photos of each item before leaving Thailand, the websites states.

Just now, webfact said:

Yes, Thairath, because everyone had cameras and often traveled overseas back in 1926! :coffee1:

The part they dont mention is.. if you dont do the thing they have now backtracked on being needed, your then opening yourself up to being taxed on it. It will be up to you to prove you didnt obtain it abroad. 

A recent flight into Thailand CIQ to a regional airport and every single international bag was being xrayed by customs, clearly the intent to screw over people coming into Thailand with items in luggage is being gradually tightened. 

aimed at thais. i know a lot of thais will buy designer stuff, watches hand bags and crap like that whilst abroad in certain countries as it's so much cheaper than thailand and often bring back stuff for their friends that they've been asked to buy. they usually hide it within the luggage hoping not to get stopped by customs who would sting them for the tax.