Study says bones from Pacific island likely those of Amelia Earhart

webfact

Study says bones from Pacific island likely those of Amelia Earhart

2018-03-09T015526Z_1_LYNXNPEE2803H_RTROPTP_4_USA-AMELIA-EARHART.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Renowned U.S. pilot Amelia Earhart is pictured in this 1928 photograph released on March 20, 2012. Library of Congress/Handout via REUTERS

(Reuters) - Bones found on a remote Pacific island in 1940 were likely those of famed pilot Amelia Earhart, according to new study.

If true, the findings would settle a long debate over the fate of Earhart, who vanished while attempting a round-the-world flight in 1937.

The new study re-examined measurements of several bones that were found on the Pacific island of Nikumaroro, but are now lost. The measurements led a scientist in 1940 to conclude that they belonged to a man, a finding reinforced by a 2015 study.

But University of Tennessee anthropologist Richard Jantz carried out a new analysis, published in the journal Forensic Anthropology, that "strongly supports the conclusion that the Nikumaroro bones belonged to Amelia Earhart."

Using new techniques, Jantz compared estimates of Earhart's bone lengths with the Nikumaroro bones and concluded in the study that "the only documented person to whom they may belong is Amelia Earhart."

(Reporting by Andrew Hay; Editing by Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-09

The mystery is hardly solved. Where is Fred Noonan's remains, and more importantly where is the airplane? Tropical atolls look a paradise to be stranded on, but I'll bet back then it would have been a mosquito and bug infested hell with little or no fresh water and food that had to be hunted down and eaten, perhaps even raw if Ms Earhart did not have a cigarette lighter or survival training. Grim.

It seems Prof. Richard Jantz hit the jackpot of publicity, it's news all around the world. Few stop to consider that he used "estimates" of Amelia's bones, and rather controversial recorded measurements of the bones found on the atoll, since the original are long lost. Those measurements have already led people to claim they were a man's, then a woman's.

Also it would be nice to hear an explanation of why, 2 weeks after the two went missing, "Navy planes from USS Colorado  searched Gardner Island. The planes ... did not see any signs of Earhart's plane or people". 

ps: Nikumaroro current name of Gardner Island

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, milwaukeeboy said:

What?  There's no DNA in those bones?

There should be some artifacts or living relatives to test and compare.

No bones, new analysis of data:

Amelia Earhart: Island bones 'likely' belonged to famed pilot - BBC News

"Consulting Dr Hoodless' measurements of the bones, Dr Jantz used Fordisc, a modern computer programme now widely used by forensic anthropologists, to compare them to Earhart's height and body stature.

The bones have unfortunately since been lost, and so cannot be analysed."

3 hours ago, tandor said:

MH370 ...for eg...how many times larger than her small plane?...the ocean is certainly a vast area.

Maybe you're right. I was thinking she was actually alive on the island and had died a castaway, as I had heard there was some kind of 'camp' found - in which case the plane would have been not too far away. However, if she had been washed up dead some time later then the plane could be much further off.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Maybe you're right. I was thinking she was actually alive on the island and had died a castaway, as I had heard there was some kind of 'camp' found - in which case the plane would have been not too far away. However, if she had been washed up dead some time later then the plane could be much further off.

Her plane was a Lockheed Electra which was notoriously nose heavy .Her escape gear was vestigial.It is just possible that she was washed up sometime after..

Edit:and a salute to another great aviator who disappeared in somewhat  similar circumstances..

Sir Charles Kingsford Smith and his navigator John Thompson Pethybridge.

May they also  Rest in Peace,

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1

Funny, when i was a boy people used to sing

"Amy Johnson, up in an aeroplane,

flew to China and never came back again".

So i always assumed she disappeared somewhere on the way to China but a google search says otherwise.

Amy Johnson: Death of pioneering aviator 'may have been covered up ...

www.independent.co.uk › News › People

Jan 5, 2016 - The death of the pioneering aviator Amy Johnson may have been covered up, according to a historian. Hull-born Johnson, the first female pilot to fly solo from Britain to Australia, died in 1941 when her plane crashed in the Thames Estuary. Her body was never recovered and her death has since remained ...